shape
carat
color
clarity

About to buy ... final advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all Pricescopers for the valuable information on these boards! I wanted some final thoughts before I sealed the deal! I struggled with the GIA/AGS versus EGL debate and since I saw some very pretty EGL stones at a local jeweler, I decided that it can''t be THAT bad. To be safe, I went with one color grade higher than I needed compared to a GIA cert. I''m hoping the clarity grade is same as a GIA clarity grade - fingers crossed.

Size is an important consideration for us. I chose Union Diamond''s Select Ideal because it gave a HCA score of 1.0.

Questions:
Is the girdle too thick - will it affect light performance?
Is the price resonable?
Please let me know if I am missing something/making a mistake?

Price: $14015
Certificate: EGL

Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Cut Grade: EGL Ideal
Shape: Round
Cut: Select Ideal™ /EGL Ideal
Carat: 1.85
Color: G
Clarity: VS2

Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 7.88-7.79-4.8
Depth Percentage: 61.1 %
Table Percentage: 58 %
Girdle: M-SLTHK F (2% - 3.4%)
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None (Inert)
Pavilion: 36.2 degrees
Crown: 40.1 degrees

agc

Shiny_Rock
I''m assuming the crown and pavilion angles are flipped. Regardless, I''m not crazy about tha ca/pa combo or the EGL cert.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
check out this sheet by Lorelei for rounds. Will give you some ideas on proper specs for rounds.

I dont know enough about EGL to know how they grade vs GIA and what the market thinks about them from a $ standpoint.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/preferred-specs-cheat-sheet-for-rounds.88548/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 8:50:02 PM
Author: agc
I'm assuming the crown and pavilion angles are flipped. Regardless, I'm not crazy about tha ca/pa combo or the EGL cert.
I'm assuming they're probably correct, and I would without a doubt pass on this stone. You can do much better.
2.gif

Use Lorelei's cheat sheet to help with the numbers.
28.gif

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
My bad ... indeed the crown and pavilion were flipped!

These are correct:

Crown: 36.2
Pavilion: 40.1

Thanks for the comments so far. Does it fare better now?

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
What do your mean by ca/pa combo??

I''m assuming the crown and pavilion angles are flipped. Regardless, I''m not crazy about tha ca/pa combo or the EGL cert.

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Here are the results of the HCA (quite good). I would appreciate understanding why posters are not excited about the stone?

Factor Grade

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

Total Visual Performance 1 - Excellent
within FIC range

jough

Rough_Rock
In response to the comment that you could do much better, I thought I''d see what I could find similar to your specs. I''m no expert but how about this one?

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=45052516&src=builder

I couldn''t find the ca/pa but the table and depth (and price) look a little better. On the USCerted site the notes say:

"EGL USA PG IDEAL PLUS H & A GOOD SI2 EYE CLEAN"

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=7878065&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

Could be worth looking into for comparison. It''s hard to say w/o the ca/pa but you could request the cert.

Personally, I''m with you: when buying a RB, if the numbers/angles work out, why pay more for a GIA/AGS cert?

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Thanks jough!

What does everyone think about this one?? It fits with Lorelei''s specs except for Pavilion (by 0.1° less)

Stone 86124504D
Weight 1.88 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Measurements 7.97 x 7.93 x 4.85 mm
Depth 61%
Table 56%
Crown 15.5%
Pavilion 42.4%
Crown Angle 35°
Pavilion Angle 40.5°
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence N/A
Culet N/A
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS
Comments Girdle inscribed "EGL US 86124504D"
UGS Appraisal Value N/A

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2008 2:39:00 AM
Author: helios_haze
Thanks jough!

What does everyone think about this one?? It fits with Lorelei''s specs except for Pavilion (by 0.1° less)

Stone 86124504D
Weight 1.88 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Measurements 7.97 x 7.93 x 4.85 mm
Depth 61%
Table 56%
Crown 15.5%
Pavilion 42.4%
Crown Angle 35°
Pavilion Angle 40.5°
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence N/A
Culet N/A
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS
Comments Girdle inscribed ''EGL US 86124504D''
UGS Appraisal Value N/A
Hi Helios,

This one could be a nice stone, can you ask for an Idealscope image?

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
I saw this stone today and it is a stunner!! I am deciding betwen this one and the larger 2.22 (posted in another thread) ... tough choice but I will keep you guys posted as I wind this process down. Thanks everyone :)!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2008 10:31:38 PM
I saw this stone today and it is a stunner!! I am deciding betwen this one and the larger 2.22 (posted in another thread) ... tough choice but I will keep you guys posted as I wind this process down. Thanks everyone :)!!
Great stuff!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
It definitely has potential - post the idealscope image when they get it!

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Finally, I have the pics. Please give me feedback :)

IS_EGL_-86124504D.jpg

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
The culet worries me ... the original cert had it as n/a ... does the culet cause a problem?

SARIN_EGL_ 86124504D.jpg

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
I wonder if those are inclusions between 4 and 6 o'clock (near the girdle)?

DI40X_EGL_-86124504.jpg

Brilliant_Rock
I think you found a winner! It looks like ''schmutz'' that you are seeing between 4-6 o clock - just some oil from a hand or something - remember it is greatly magnified. Culet is fine.

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Checked with WF. Looks like those are inclusions. Waiting for another 'expert' opinion
20.gif

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. Darn. It is a VS stone so I hope it is just the magnification of the photo making it visible. Is the expert opinion to let you know about eyecleanliness? I know that is important to you.

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Yes I want another eye-cleanliness opinion. It shouldn''t become a mind-cleanliness issue later on!
23.gif

We previously looked at the stone very closely (3 inches) but didn''t see this. It only came to our notice in the 40X picture ... so there is something to be said about that!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 5:40:17 PM
Yes I want another eye-cleanliness opinion. It shouldn''t become a mind-cleanliness issue later on!
23.gif

We previously looked at the stone very closely (3 inches) but didn''t see this. It only came to our notice in the 40X picture ... so there is something to be said about that!
I understand! Remember clarity grading is done at 10X. If you magnify any of these enough you will see something! :)
Can you go back now and look again now that you have seen it at 40X to see if you can pick it out knowing what is there?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You will see all sorts of things at 40X that will be invisible at 10X (where stones are actually graded at), much less visible to the eye.
2.gif
21.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Is this the EGL H/VS2? They say only 1 person in 100 can see a VS2 inclusion with the naked eye, so a VS2 is virtually guaranteed to be eye clean. However, this holds for a "true" VS2 stone. You might want to ask WF to eyeball it and see if they believe it''s actually a VS2, since EGL is notorious for being incorrect on the color/clarity grades. You also might want to make sure it''s a true H; perhaps have WF get an appraisal before setting it? Otherwise, it looks nice!

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Indeed, it is an EGL. I have carefully navigated the lower color/clarity conundrum. I found this stone after much research! I figured that the stated EGL USA, H VS2 was likely a GIA I SI1 equivalent at best or J SI2 at worst. The folks at WF have confirmed that it would rate as a GIA I SI1 and I am comfortable with that. This stone fits my needs perfectly and looks like a pretty one, to the best of my knowledge ... unless you genius PSers disagree.

What's the deal with the Star/Upper ratio of 49:51? Is that a good or bad thing?

:), jstarfireb, purrfectpear - thanks for the feedback.

Ellen, Lorelei, Garry, John P. and others - I'm waiting for your final words before I pull the trigger.
19.gif

agc

Shiny_Rock
One concern with some diamonds with PA of 40.5 is head and shoulder obstruction. This can cause some of these diamonds to appear darker. Ask the WF staff to look at that and they will help you. This may indeed be a great diamond but don''t be afraid to ask WF questions and their opinion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2008 6:10:24 AM
Author: agc
One concern with some diamonds with PA of 40.5 is head and shoulder obstruction. This can cause some of these diamonds to appear darker. Ask the WF staff to look at that and they will help you. This may indeed be a great diamond but don't be afraid to ask WF questions and their opinion.
I don't think that would be a concern in this case and the crown angle could help balance it. Helios it looks like a good diamond!

This should help you with the star facet query - http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic.php?page=minor_facets.htm Take the diamond as a whole as you have, but the star/ upper ratio measurement is fine.

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. I inferred that the 49:51 ratio is OK but not the best! Did I read you correct?

What is the range for v. good/excellent on the Star/Upper ratio and Lower Girdle halves?

I have asked for the ASET image but for all purposes, have pulled the trigger (on a tight timeframe)
20.gif

helios_haze

Rough_Rock
ASET image attached.

Any red flags?

AST_EGL_86124504D.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2008 11:48:03 AM
Thanks Lorelei. I inferred that the 49:51 ratio is OK but not the best! Did I read you correct?

What is the range for v. good/excellent on the Star/Upper ratio and Lower Girdle halves?

I have asked for the ASET image but for all purposes, have pulled the trigger (on a tight timeframe)
20.gif
The ratio is only part of the diamond Helios and not a determining factor on it's own, the ratio on your stone should be perfectly fine, no worries! GIA apparently award an Excellent rating to S/U ratio of 45 - 65 so you are well within that. The lower girdle also seems fine for your diamond too and the ASET also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results