shape
carat
color
clarity

About to buy a ring…encouragement and advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Graviton

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone. I want to be sure to mention how great it''s been to have this forum available as I''ve shopped for an engagement ring. There are some very knowledgeable and very nice people here!

I''m about to buy a ring. I know that my girlfriend likes this setting, but I can''t find anything exactly like it anywhere that is platinum, in stock, under $2000, and made for a diamond under 1 ct. So I''m almost set on getting her this setting instead. It''s not as delicate as the first one, but it has many of the characteristics she likes about it: a traditional shape, sidestones all the way around and engraving on the other two sides.

So I guess the first thing I''m hoping is that people can say whether they like the style of this setting. I know my girlfriend''s opinion is all that matters in the end, but if everyone here thinks it''s beautiful, that will give me some much-needed confidence until the proposal. And if everyone thinks I could do much better, I''ll definitely spend more time looking around!

The other thing I''d like to know is if anyone thinks I should consider a princess or cushion cut stone instead of a round brilliant (my girlfriend likes all three). I tend to think the RB will complement the sidestones well, but I don''t have much of a "vision" for these types of things, so if anyone thinks one of the other cuts would work well in this setting, speak up!

Graviton

Rough_Rock
Sorry, one last thing: I can''t really afford a stone higher than .8 ct. (assuming round brilliant) This setting won''t overwhelm a center stone that size, will it? I''m hoping not, especially because as sidestone settings go, it''s fairly thin, at 3 mm.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I just noticed you need it in stock? Why?

sera

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried Engagement Rings Direct? The rings like this antique style are shown in white gold- you could contact them about a price in platinum. They are a very popular vendor with Pricescopers and if you want a cushion, that's the place to go. I think cushions are really beautiful and seem to be less common than rounds and princess cuts.

The round will face up bigger- if you are concerned with the size, rounds typically will look bigger.

Princess stones are very popular and Whiteflash has an X-Factor Princess Cut which has clipped corners- those clipped corners make it more durable and it will face up larger than a traditional princess.

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
I personally really like the one from antiqueengagementrings.com. Not only do I like it, but this is one of the exact ones I was considering. They have 2 or 3 very similar ones.

I met with a jeweler in NY who borrowed it directly from them and while I loved it in picture, it wasn''t as shiny as I wanted it to be. The metal carries more of a dull shine than a typical bright shine. So after seeing that I decided I wanted something with a little more shine, but that the antiquing is definitely awesome.

So if you don''t mind the setting metal not being as shiny as rings you usually see you will be happy.

Either way it is an amazing looking ring, such character.

*RubyRN*

Shiny_Rock
First of all, unless she really wants a cushion or princess, you''re probably better off sticking to the round, as everyone has already said it will face up larger. I think the second setting you find is a little bit bulky.. the knox setting is pretty though. What about this setting from GOG? It doesn''t have the engraving, but it''s more delicate and it tapers in toward the diamond- this could really help a .8 pop! GOG setting

*RubyRN*

Shiny_Rock
Oops... I just realized I don''t know the price on that setting
20.gif
You''d have to get a quote from them
3.gif

Graviton

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thanks for the links and advice, everyone. I''ve emailed Leigh at antiqueengagementrings.com and the good people at GOG, and I''ll call Knox in the morning and ask what it would take to get that setting in platinum.

Graviton

Rough_Rock
Hmm…that beautiful Landi setting at GOG that was linked is nearly $3,000. The Antique Round and Elegance settings at Knox are both north of $2,000 if done in platinum. That is really more than I can pay for the setting. What do people think of this Ingwer option at GOG? It is quite a bit more affordable, at under $1,400.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The setting you said she likes has a taper very much like a fabulous Tacori and a lovely Ritani... Both will be out of your price range. I would talk to her about spending as much of your $$ on the stone as possible, then saving up for the perfect setting later. I don''t think the ingwer captures the look of the setting she likes. That taper is missing-- so is the catherdral shoulders that give it the taper look.

I would also maybe consider this setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Divisi--by-WF_1068.htm and ask her if she likes it. I know it''s a split shank, but it''s got some of the other features... and the price in platinum is great. I ''m sure you could ask WF to add some engraving.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results