shape
carat
color
clarity

About the Crushed Ice look on Radiant Cut

Chantan

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have watched the videos from GOG site about different light performance of radiant and cushion cut stones. From the video, I can see why the crushed ice looking stones are less desired. However, I have this 1.21ct FY radiant which I think has the "Crushed Ice" look, I still find it pretty nice. I would like your opinions on this stone. Thank you.

Here's some specs of my stone:

1.21ct Natural Fancy Yellow with even distribution
VVS2 clarity
6.64*5.81*3.54
Total depth 60.9%
Table 78%

img_128.jpg

img_0316.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Chantan,
no one can truly assess any diamond just by numbers, or a few photos.
It has to be done hands on.
Speaking in generalities, I have seen a lot of very attractive fancy colored diamonds with proportions similar to yours. I have also seen other diamonds with proportions similar to yours that were not attractive.

If you're looking at the diamond, and you love the way it sparkles, I think we have our answer.
Of course, that's kind of simplistic. You did ask some pointed questions.

I think in terms of videos, and photos, the photographer, the methods, and the environment will truly affect the results.
For example, photographing your type of diamond in a tray will not allow the diamonds sparkle in the same way it might in a ring.
There are other videos of this type of diamond shot in a different manner, where the diamond look totally different.

Then we have the concept of brilliance in diamonds.
What I mean to say is this: diamonds with larger facets, particularly extremely well cut diamonds will do well in certain scientific tests where a crushed ice type of stone will do poorly. Therefore, it is scientifically accurate to say that well cut round brilliant cut diamond is more brilliant than a radiant cut diamond, no matter how well cut the radiant.

When I'm looking at the these type of diamonds and comparing them, the well cut radiant diamond has a different type of brilliance. There's less contrast and more bright areas. If you put the numbers onto the charts that are published on this website, your diamond falls well outside the "ideal" ranges. This is one reason I am a very vocal critic of those charts.
Based on the large table, it's very likely that your diamond has a very shallow crown. For this reason, it will be punished on these charts. But in person, it might look very large, quite brilliant and very nice.
The bottom line for you is this. You're looking at the diamond, so you have the best idea of whether or not you like it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results