shape
carat
color
clarity

A wrong pill is in my Rx bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found one pill of the wrong drug in my Rx bottle.
I've never taken this drug, neither has my SO and didn't recognize it and it's lucky I even noticed it.
How often do you examine every pill from every bottle?

I'm 100% certain the pharmacy made the mistake.

Here it is surrounded by the pills I do take that belong in that bottle.

I looked it up.
It's Mylan.
Apparently aka Furosemide, a loop diuretic.
Something to do with preventing the body from absorbing salt.

I could just blow this off because the pill itself seems harmless ... AFAIK.
No big deal. Right?
But it could have been something unsafe, or worse, for me.
Aren't there pills now for assisted suicide?

You could argue it's an honest mistake since the pills look similar.
What would you do?

screen_shot_2015-11-10_at_4.png

mylan_40.png

mylan_listed.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call the pharmacy or take the pills back and ask what's up. I switched pharmacies after JD came home w/my prescriptions, only they weren't actually mine, they were an elderly woman's. Something for diabetes and I forget what else. Had my name on them and it was the right number of bottles he brought home, they just looked funny. JD called, they argued w/him that there was no mistake, so he brought them down there and pretty much threw the bottles at them. "Gosh sir, we don't know how this happened..."

I've seen when they're counting pills out before, at ours anyway, and they had separate areas, so one pill, I'm not sure how it would happen in that situation, unless they all hadn't been put away from the time before, or a pill ended up in a bottle from whence they originally came.

Glad you noticed tho.

Q

Queenie60

I would take it back to the Pharmacy and inform them of the mistake. Imagine if an elderly person received and taken the wrong pill by mistake - or a very ill person? Scary. :oops: Glad I look at what I'm taking.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1447183639|3947892 said:
I would take it back to the Pharmacy and inform them of the mistake. Imagine if an elderly person received and taken the wrong pill by mistake - or a very ill person? Scary. :oops: Glad I look at what I'm taking.

Yep!

I do look at every pill as I take them. Every time.

My brother was given the wrong dose of a prescription once. Could have killed him if my mom hadn't caught it. Since then, I always look and question any change. A good pharmacist will not mind confirming if there is a different color or shape or whatever. For a mistake like this, you REALLY REALLY should take it back. Could have been an assistant or someone filling in and they need to know a mistake was made. May be minor this time, but what about next?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do, and I count them out. I usually do it before I leave the drivethru (I annoy the hell out of them with that move), or on the counter right there. (I put them on a kleenex).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1447187054|3947914 said:
I do, and I count them out. I usually do it before I leave the drivethru (I annoy the hell out of them with that move), or on the counter right there. (I put them on a kleenex).

screen_shot_2015-11-10_at_12.png

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely tell the Pharmacist. Not just go back to the Pharmacy and talk to whomever, but ask for the Pharmacist.

Yes, we're all human and will therefore make mistakes. However, consequence of error varies; sometimes a mistake is no big deal, other times it is quite serious.

The Pharmacist needs to ensure that the established procedures are appropriate. In other words it wasn't a systemic issue.
The Pharmacist also needs to inform all staff of this occurrence, review established procedures, and discuss the importance of accuracy in doing their jobs.

Most stuff I'd shrug off and let go, but this type of thing warrants some attention.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it back!

That is a serious clinical incident. A single dose of furosemide probably wouldn't do much harm but it very much depends on what other meds a patient is taking. The pharmacy needs to know they have made this error to work out what has gone wrong with their procedures.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Mylan is the name of the drug manufacturer, not the drug itself. Furosemide is the generic version of Lasix, a diuretic. Take it back to the pharmacy and let them know they made an error. Were you missing one of your prescribed drugs in the bottle? If so, they should replace it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is REALLY scary. I would talk to the pharmacy.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I agree. You should alert the pharmacy. This has the potential to really harm someone so they should be aware. :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I would take it back and speak personally with the head pharmacist there. Something similar (but different) happened to me a couple of years ago. I had a prescription med delivered to me and when I opened it up it was not the right med. Not even close. Somehow the pharmacist messed up the order and gave me someone else's Rx. I called him right away and he sent over the right med and now I cannot remember if he took back the wrong one or just asked me to throw it out. Either way I was shaken up because that is one big mistake. However we are all human and mistakes happen. The key is for them to learn from their mistakes and try not to repeat it and that is why it is important for you to bring this to their attention.

And this is a good lesson for everyone to look at every single pill they are taking before they take it. Thank you for sharing this with us.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this Kenny, I never in a million years thought about checking to make sure my rx is what it is supposed to be or checking each one. I will always check from now on, this kind of mistake could cost someone their life.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is different than a random pill, but there's been times the look of a medication has changed and the pharmacist has come up front to explain that it wasn't a mistake. A couple times it's been forgotten and I've called when I open the bottle and notice, but generally they remember.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to work in a pharmacy so yes, I check every RX and count the pills. I'm glad you caught the error!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1447250106|3948158 said:
I used to work in a pharmacy so yes, I check every RX and count the pills. I'm glad you caught the error!

Wow, I would take it back and consider switching pharmacies.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all.

I've decided to file a formal complaint with my state's authorities.

Walking into the pharmacy and complaining may go nowhere since this is a massive chain.
Chances are the pharmacist I talk to would just cover her/his butt, not tell their bosses, who in turn would never dream of damaging their own career by telling THEIR bosses.
Humans in big companies are rewarded for being this way.
After 30 years in that culture I know how it works.
People who do the right thing don't get ahead; people who look out for themselves do.

Even if they clean up their act at that location maybe the processes and checks and balances need to be improved in all their locations, which probably number in the thousands.
Maybe these mistakes happen a lot.
Maybe they keep happening since customers want to be "nice" and not hurt anyone's feelings so they just walk in to complain ... nicely. :roll:

I think this is a very big deal.
I'm not litigiou$$$, but I do feel a responsibility to the public.
The public is best served by this matter getting attention from the top down.
The govmnt has teeth. I don't. ... "The action, based on the severity and type of violation, can range from an official warning and/or fine, to suspension, probation, or revocation of the license involved."

The drug I was wrongly supplied with may not have been harmful this time, but the next mistake someone gets from these folks may be.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you find razor blades in a child's candy no big deal, and actually made a sick joke. But when it happens to you, wow. And you say I overreact.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1447274951|3948341 said:
Wow, you find razor blades in a child's candy no big deal, and actually made a sick joke. But when it happens to you, wow. And you say I overreact.

Ruby, I know you don't like me.
I don't care.

But carry on with your crusade.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I do not know you. But I do not like people who do not play fair.

Reread my post and your response. And then see why I responded to your post this way.

A little consistency, please. Or at the very least stop minimizing my opinions.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1447275389|3948346 said:
Kenny, I do not know you. But I do not like people who do not play fair.

Reread my post and your response. And then see why I responded to your post this way.

A little consistency, please. Or at the very least stop minimizing my opinions.

Huh?
I have no idea what you're saying.

Halloween pranks are not the same as Rx errors.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you speak to the pharmacy at all first? Give them a chance to figure out that they made a mistake and address their procedures to fix it? I get this is no small thing but you went from unsure and asking what we'd do to drastic measures? The general conscious was to speak to the pharmacist. It may have gone nowhere. And yes, people do cover their asses to protect themselves, you probably do too. You don't feel a responsibility to the public by addressing a potentially one-off mistake with the company you have a problem with. If you did you'd have addressed it with the company directly first and seen the reaction. My guess is that you'd want people to come to you before they went way above your head to complain about your work. You feel like pursuing something like a formal complaint simply because you can.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
It does not matter. Both have a chance to hurt someone.

You said I overreacted when I mentioned several kids got needles and blades in their candy. You said since it only involved a few children my post was ridiculous. And your response was pretty sick. Want me to repost it.

Well RX accidents also do not happen that often either, but you are up in arms, ready to sue. Now who is overreacting.

All I ask is a little fairness Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby, I don't value being consistent as much as most people do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1447275877|3948353 said:
Did you speak to the pharmacy at all first? Give them a chance to figure out that they made a mistake and address their procedures to fix it? I get this is no small thing but you went from unsure and asking what we'd do to drastic measures? The general conscious was to speak to the pharmacist. It may have gone nowhere. And yes, people do cover their asses to protect themselves, you probably do too. You don't feel a responsibility to the public by addressing a potentially one-off mistake with the company you have a problem with. If you did you'd have addressed it with the company directly first and seen the reaction. My guess is that you'd want people to come to you before they went way above your head to complain about your work. You feel like pursuing something like a formal complaint simply because you can.

I'm not bound by 'the general consensus".

I have not spoken to the pharmacy.
I'm not sure I will.
Explanation of and support for my decision is in my above post.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1447276898|3948362 said:

I'm not sure I will.

I know this, I'm capable of reading comprehension and I've read enough of your posts to understand that you'll do as you please. I do question if you do ask these questions and act as you do because you need something, such as drama, in your life. I hope that's not the case. And that you maybe you'll switch to another independent pharmacy who can meet your needs to not work with a large corporate pharmacy. Best of luck.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1447277490|3948363 said:
kenny|1447276898|3948362 said:

I'm not sure I will.

I know this, I'm capable of reading comprehension and I've read enough of your posts to understand that you'll do as you please. I do question if you do ask these questions and act as you do because you need something, such as drama, in your life. I hope that's not the case. And that you maybe you'll switch to another independent pharmacy who can meet your needs to not work with a large corporate pharmacy. Best of luck.

Thanks Rhea.

mjr1

Rough_Rock
Kenny,my daughter who was 11 years old was on a medication that needed to be compounded because she wouldn't swallow pills. We had to go to a compounding pharmacy, not a large chain. They filled it and I got two or three monthly refills. After the 4th refill they called one night and I heard them explaining something to my daughter who answered the phone but she sounded confused by the conversation so she gave me the phone. It was the pharmacist explaining that they had compounded the WRONG medication last month ad realized it when I brought in the refill that month. They filled it with a very strong narcotic that is used for alcohol withdrawal at a dose that could have killed a large dog. She had taken that dose twice a day for a month. They were explaining this to her, never asked for her parent. I am sure they were hoping I would never find out. The doctor called right after they hung up to talk to me about it, and told me they at first refused to call us and wanted HIM to call us. He told them they needed to contact us. I went in and met with the pharmacist who was very sorry. I reported them to the state, however, compounding pharmacies are held to a different standard and they were not even censured for this potentially deadly error.They never reported the error to anyone. As a health care professional, I was horrified! This type of error is not uncommon, and should be reported.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mjr1|1447294057|3948541 said:
Kenny,my daughter who was 11 years old was on a medication that needed to be compounded because she wouldn't swallow pills. We had to go to a compounding pharmacy, not a large chain. They filled it and I got two or three monthly refills. After the 4th refill they called one night and I heard them explaining something to my daughter who answered the phone but she sounded confused by the conversation so she gave me the phone. It was the pharmacist explaining that they had compounded the WRONG medication last month ad realized it when I brought in the refill that month. They filled it with a very strong narcotic that is used for alcohol withdrawal at a dose that could have killed a large dog. She had taken that dose twice a day for a month. They were explaining this to her, never asked for her parent. I am sure they were hoping I would never find out. The doctor called right after they hung up to talk to me about it, and told me they at first refused to call us and wanted HIM to call us. He told them they needed to contact us. I went in and met with the pharmacist who was very sorry. I reported them to the state, however, compounding pharmacies are held to a different standard and they were not even censured for this potentially deadly error.They never reported the error to anyone. As a health care professional, I was horrified! This type of error is not uncommon, and should be reported.

Wow!
I'm so sorry.
Please tell me your daughter was and is okay.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1447275911|3948354 said:
It does not matter. Both have a chance to hurt someone.

You said I overreacted when I mentioned several kids got needles and blades in their candy. You said since it only involved a few children my post was ridiculous. And your response was pretty sick. Want me to repost it.

Well RX accidents also do not happen that often either, but you are up in arms, ready to sue. Now who is overreacting.

All I ask is a little fairness Kenny.

Yea, I'm with Ruby on this one. Seems like you just want to stir up some drama by going to the big bad "state's authority" without even talking to the pharmacy itself. What makes you so sure anyone is going to believe you anyway? Anyone can pull a random pill from anywhere and claim they found it in their Rx bottle. Unless you emptied the pills out on the counter at the pharmacy and noticed the error in front of a witness it's a matter of your word against theirs. And yea, they probably will "cover their ass" rather than pay out anything to some random guy making a stink over supposedly finding one pill in the wrong bottle. You're wasting your time and the government's time. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results