Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

WARNING! A Warning: Be Respectful or Timeouts Will be Given and Political Discussions Removed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Trade
Dear Pricescopers,

This is a challenging time for the human population. People are being killed, by disease or mistreatment, and many people across the globe are hurting financially. We're divided politically like never before, and it seems basic human kindness is lacking.

We expect a higher level of interaction here. One of kindness and respect.

This is notice that I will be giving out long timeouts to people at our discretion who cannot show kindness to their fellow PSers. We also may decide to once again ban political discussion.

We will be using our discretion, please help us by reporting, but know that the call is ours to make. The following behaviors are some of, but not limited to, the kind of things we have been seeing that will result in time outs:

-Swearing at other PSers

-Calling other PSers insults, including calling them stupid, lemmings, idiots, etc.

-Anything that we perceived as a threat

-Anything that is racist

-Anything we think is not in the spirit of PS

We have an amazing community so please remember that online posts do not always carry the tone or intentions of the writer well, please give everyone the benefit of doubt.

We understand that this is a difficult and very emotional time but we should strive to act like adults.

Please consider this your one and only warning.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! It’s that time again! :eek2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last few days I had to stop participating. some of y'all know why.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly started avoiding Hangout a few years ago because of how hateful some people were toward others who had differing opinions regarding various political issues. I rarely come in this forum, so I have not seen the posts referred to in the OP. Thanks for trying to keep kindness in PS, Ella.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Ella, would it be possible to have a politics forum that you had to sign into, to separate it from Hangout? Not that everyone shouldn't still be pleasant, but it would keep people from just blindly stumbling into a thread that upsets them? Just a thought.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have done this before. In fact I believe we have done this more than once. It is a good way to handle the controversy. The political forum becomes much less active, with many fewer people participating in it. (At one time the administration limited participation to people who had a certain number of posts.)

In exchange for boredom (people who love the political threads, as I do, will check all day and find a response only once or twice), the posts will be more thoughtful and be written by people who actually want to write about politics. While civility has always been requested and expected in these fora, the posters tend to be sophisticated and to "get" each others' humor. I don't recall a lot of childish name calling in them. I think one forum was actually secret and by invitation only. That may have been under the former owner.

It's something to think about but not our call. It's Andrey's forum. :))

Ella, would it be possible to have a politics forum that you had to sign into, to separate it from Hangout? Not that everyone shouldn't still be pleasant, but it would keep people from just blindly stumbling into a thread that upsets them? Just a thought.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
We have done this before. In fact I believe we have done this more than once. It is a good way to handle the controversy. The political forum becomes much less active, with many fewer people participating in it. (At one time the administration limited participation to people who had a certain number of posts.)

In exchange for boredom (people who love the political threads, as I do, will check all day and find a response only once or twice), the posts will be more thoughtful and be written by people who actually want to write about politics. While civility has always been requested and expected in these fora, the posters tend to be sophisticated and to "get" each others' humor. I don't recall a lot of childish name calling in them. I think one forum was actually secret and by invitation only. That may have been under the former owner.

It's something to think about but not our call. It's Andrey's forum. :))
Definitely not our call. I would just like a way to save it. (Hopefully not by number of posts, lol. Look at my post count)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker and canuk-gal are both really, really good friends of mine who share many of my tastes in jewelry.(Diamondseeker and I actually have nearly identical dining rooms if you count the one I have in a house in Virginia that I visit only once or twice a year.) Back in the days when we seemed to have time to talk about things like that, we compared silver and china patterns. Sharon and I discuss gold bangles. But I know how much they hate the political fora and how really unhappy they are in Hangout much of the time, which makes me sad. Because political threads have become my central interest recently.

And, no, Demon. I don't want to see the political threads disappear, either.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have been call every nasty words in the book, but it doesn't bother me at all. I have never use the report button.I'm a big boy :praise: I don't go running to the teacher crying!...:praise:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have been call every nasty words in the book, but it doesn't bother me at all. I have never use the report button.I'm a big boy :praise: I don't go running to the teacher crying!...:praise:
While I understand you have a "thick skin"; I do not find name calling (in any way shape or form) to be acceptable. I refuse!!! I do not live it IRL, I do not encourage or engage in it and certainly do not want to see it in writing. I do not live under a rock, but neither do I want my head smashed with one.

Sometimes saying enough is enough is not tattling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Extremely well said. It's not whether one has thick skin or not. It's that mature adults need to treat others with respect even when we disagree on a topic. I think all the name calling reflects poorly on the person doing it, so I just refuse to even read it. I have enjoyed PS for a long time and appreciate the admins keeping the forum a decent, happy place to be for the most part. I just have seen that some people cannot be understanding or civil on political topics.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I for one would be deeply disappointed to see political threads go away - there is a great deal that can be gained from them. I would be fine if they were consigned to a separate sub on the forum, however, so that those who don't wish to participate can easily choose not to.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what is really unfortunate about political threads is that there really isn’t an exchange of ideas when posters resort to ridiculing others with memes, name calling, personal attacks and ganging-up on others. It is unfortunate because discussing politics with strangers is preferable to discussing with friends and family, but I think the anonymity leads to nastiness. Some people want to be right above all else and have no intention of actually exchanging ideas.

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
But DF, it hurts my feelings though, when someone is rude to you or infact when anyone is rude to anyone

ive had an intetest in American politics since 1980 and yes with a conservative bias but i come here to be freinds with people not fall out ovet politics
i try not to comment too much on PS because i don't want to fall out with people which can so easily happen rather innocently over the internet at the best of times

the world is hurting so much right now, in these times of isolation we need each other more than ever

to all i would say remember there is a real person behind the avitar
in the words of the NZ govt (whome i did not vote for)
be kind

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
I think what is really unfortunate about political threads is that there really isn’t an exchange of ideas when posters resort to ridiculing others with memes, name calling, personal attacks and ganging-up on others. It is unfortunate because discussing politics with strangers is preferable to discussing with friends and family, but I think the anonymity leads to nastiness. Some people want to be right above all else and have no intention of actually exchanging ideas.
you are dead right
i was brought up to know not to discuss politics, sport or religion outside the home
but i need an outlet
and there is much to learn from people who have different beleaves to oneself
but i don't react well to judgemental lecturing

ganging up on others is the absolute worst thing about the internet
one never knows what is going on for that person on the receiving end of the wolf pack ?
a seemingly innocent comment to one can be completly blown out of proportion by another
having been on the receiving end of the wolf pack (not here) i have vowed and decleared to never be part of one which is why I'll still be nice to trolls

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: Well said! Tolerance is a two-way street ... and the lack of it by some members is the main reason I don't come on here much anymore. That probably makes some happy; if so, “you’re welcome“. LOL

Selfishly, it also means I’ve banked (saved) a LOT of money because I’m not tempted/inspired to do anything with new/custom jewelry when I’m not on PS. The down side though is that translates to lost revenue for PS vendors who I imagine might appreciate the business/income these days.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think your passive-aggressive reference to me about memes is in the spirit of this thread. If you have issues with my conduct, I welcome you to talk to me like an adult. My contact info is on Loupetroop.

If you prefer not to, that’s fine too, but please refrain from the nasty behavior that you’re denouncing.

Ella, my apologies. I’ll use the ignore feature going forward.

Bayek

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: Well said! Tolerance is a two-way street ... and the lack of it by some members is the main reason I don't come on here much anymore. That probably makes some happy; if so, “you’re welcome“. LOL

Selfishly, it also means I’ve banked (saved) a LOT of money because I’m not tempted/inspired to do anything with new/custom jewelry when I’m not on PS. The down side though is that translates to lost revenue for PS vendors who I imagine might appreciate the business/income these days.
It's never ever selfish to save money, if you were a bi spender then perhaps unfortunate for whomever you spent big bucks with, but I - on the other hand - have perused other threads and have a bunch of ideas on what I will be spending going forward..

No one is compelled to read any threads.

I'm really thinking of an OEC for a pendant!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think your passive-aggressive reference to me about memes is in the spirit of this thread. If you have issues with my conduct, I welcome you to talk to me like an adult. My contact info is on Loupetroop.

If you prefer not to, that’s fine too, but please refrain from the nasty behavior that you’re denouncing.

Ella, my apologies. I’ll use the ignore feature going forward.
I’m sorry but who are you? When did I make a reference to you? Please stop with the assumptions. “Nasty behavior” because I am speaking generally? Thank you for putting me on ignore.:wavey:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread might be a good place for plugging PS's Ignore feature.

To keep my blood pressure down (and not get myself banned again) I've put a few posters back on ignore.
I'm not going to name them, which seems a bit like shaming them.
But I'll say if someone addresses me and I don't respond, I may have them on ignore.

I used to have several on ignore but a few months back I let them all out of jail ... now much to my chagrin.
I wanted to start fresh and give them, and myself, a second chance.
But once again it's very clear to me why a few of them belong on ignore ... for me, at least - you may love the same posters.

... and it's not what side of the political aisle they're on - there are good and bad folks on both. :))
It's the manipulative, passive aggressive, sub-honest crap they pull in the way they write. :knockout:

There is no point explaining it further here, or confronting those posters about it.
Thanks to PS's ignore feature, their crap can no longer push my buttons. :dance:

Folks, I encourage you to consider using the ignore feature if or when needed ... especially for Kenny. :wavey:
There's no shame in using it.
There are no awards for not using it.

Let's all do what we need to do to keep our sanity (and peace at PS) in these high-stress times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.