shape
carat
color
clarity

A tale of two rings: similar stones, similar settings, great difference -- help needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefully

Rough_Rock
Background: Having done lots of research (you guys are the BEST, most wonderful resource!), I''m fairly sure I want an Asscher cut stone (also in contention were old mine or old european -- I love the colors and flash). I also want bezel set, platinum and non-solitaire.

Foreground: ;-) I''ve found two rings that **seem** very similar -- here are links and specs for each.

The pic of the Ring A (newly made, vintage style) is attached.
Center stone: 1.54 carat Asscher cut diamond; color H clarity VS2, accompanied by a GIA grading report
Accent stones: 6 French cut diamonds weighing .50 carat total. Delicate hand applied milgrain details finish this ring.

Ring B (vintage, 1920s) pic in next post
Center stone: 1.50ct and is GIA certified;color of the diamond is K with VS1 clarity.
Accent stones: Approximately .35ct of tapered baguette cut diamonds. The color of these diamonds is H with VS1-VS2 clarity.

My question // conundrum // problem: Ring A costs more -- more than **twice** as much. Obviously there''s the H versus K color difference (but there''s also a VS2 versus VS1 difference in the other direction).

In all honesty, I like A more than B; however, I''d feel much (much) better about my wanting if I had some more statistical basis to back it up ... why is the ring so much more expensive?

(Is it perhaps the case that some jewelers are just way overpriced? Also, are these prices ever negotiable?)

Any or all feedback or help would be appreciated.

1209862589_10-1-1286.jpg

hopefully

Rough_Rock
Here''s the second ring:

(Please no one go find these and buy them! [beg beg])

DSCN0340S.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like A more than B also
7.gif
. Have you thought about picking your own stones and having A made?

EDIT - it might help if you tell us apporixmately what the cost of these 2 rings are.

hopefully

Rough_Rock
EDIT - it might help if you tell us apporixmately what the cost of these 2 rings are.
The first is nearly 17K (eep!) and the second is 7,500. I''ve also found several other examples of Ring Type B that were less (5-7K) and still had very very similar stone profiles.

I have thought (briefly) of having a ring made, but am hesitant to introduce so many variables to a process I''m so anxious about anyway. Then you''re picking stones *and* asking someone to replicate a setting (is this even doable?). That said, if I thought I could get an as-nice-a-ring-as-Ring-A for less money and could deal with someone who is completely trustworthy and handholding about it, it would be worth considering...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love the first one. Note that your second ones have baguettes, which are usually a fraction of your french cut side diamonds of the first. maybe having those french cuts side diamonds is what is driving some of the cost up quite a bit? can you have an alternative cut diamonds in place of it? keeping with the step cut theme of course. I would try and get a custom quote from various vendors and see what they say.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2009 11:57:29 AM
Author: hopefully

The first is nearly 17K (eep!) and the second is 7,500. I''ve also found several other examples of Ring Type B that were less (5-7K) and still had very very similar stone profiles.

I have thought (briefly) of having a ring made, but am hesitant to introduce so many variables to a process I''m so anxious about anyway. Then you''re picking stones *and* asking someone to replicate a setting (is this even doable?). That said, if I thought I could get an as-nice-a-ring-as-Ring-A for less money and could deal with someone who is completely trustworthy and handholding about it, it would be worth considering...

eeks on that price! I totally understand being hesitant about having it made. I truly think you can have this ring made
by BGD or whiteflash for a whole lot less. We have "storm", one of our assher experts here, who can help you pick
a stone. BGD and whiteflash send you CAD drawings for your approval. You can have the folks here at PS review
them to see if they look like what you want. I dont think that ring would be hard to have made (my opinion only
1.gif
).
There have been many PS people that have gone through this process and posted from begining to end. From
concept through to final creation of the ring. Some people dont even have a picture of a ring to start with so you
are way ahead of others. You can do a search on "cads" and come up with lots of examples. I think it would be
worth your while (considering the cost) to have it made (or atleast get some quotes) on that ring.

Here is BGDs web site:
http://www.brianthecutter.com/custom-jewelry-design.html

Here is whiteflash:
http://www.whiteflash.com/custom/

hopefully

Rough_Rock
A-ha! That''s a data point I didn''t have! French cut > baguette! Who knew! They both sound French, after all! ;-) (Y''all are also making me feel better by having the same reaction I did :)

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
A newly made piece will almost always cost more than a similar vintage or estate piece--though that is quite a difference. Everyone involved in the ring has to make a living, from the jeweler to the cutter right down to the guy who mined the stone. With a new piece, you are paying all those people. With a vintage piece, the original purchaser paid most of them, all you are paying is the jeweler who is selling it, and you don't know what he paid for the piece. Usually diamonds only resell for 30-50% of new price.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2009 12:21:06 PM
Author: hopefully
A-ha! That''s a data point I didn''t have! French cut > baguette! Who knew! They both sound French, after all! ;-) (Y''all are also making me feel better by having the same reaction I did :)
lol... yep French and baguette both french and french sounding. But yep the first one is like Jet stated vintage antiquey jewelery and having french cut diamonds is a bit rare to find good ones.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to give you an idea of what the side diamond looks like

FRENCHcut Diamond1.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Another thing that struck me looking at the pictures was quality and finish work. The first ring looks like impeccible craftsmanship. That is something to be considered when choosing a mounting.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and a quote from Diagem "French-Cuts = a type of brilliant faceting patterns = French cuts definitely have more sparkle than Baguettes.
They consist of either 18 or 22 facets incl. table and culet..."

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The first ring is gorgeous. It''s also a rip-off, unfortunately. Essentially the diamond is worth around $8k, which means the setting would have to be worth $9K to you. You might have to pay a premium for french-cut stones, but not that much of one. I know you are hesitant to go custom, but I would honestly email this pic to a few PS vendors and see what kind of quotes you get.

I''d also see how willing vendor A is willing to haggle. I have a 1.55 carat asscher (F,VS2) in a recreated platinum vintage setting (also around .50 tcw). The $20k+ price tag the first time I saw it made me roll my eyes because it was from a B&M with an ego, but after some sleuthing and haggling we got the ring for just shy of $8k. I''d just see how much the vendor of ring A will come down in price.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
You might even be able to find a stock setting to put an asscher in- I agree 17K is outrageous

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Upgradeable, that''s what I immediately thought, too. That bezel setting looks better crafted than the second ring. Also, the first Asscher just looks prettier, IMO.

hopefully

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 12:46:14 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
The first ring is gorgeous. It''s also a rip-off, unfortunately. [...deleted explanatory bits...]

I''d also see how willing vendor A is willing to haggle.[...].

OMG! Thank you for saying these things! I didn''t know whether it was considered uncouth to ask for a reduction knowing, for example, the relative the price of the diamonds involved. It also helps to know that the French cuts *are* more expensive, but perhaps not 9K more :)

I have emailed Whiteflash. Will also email Brian. I would be thrilled if they could just sort of "make it happen" and say "yes, this ring will be just as pretty as that one and flash all sorts of lovely colors and will not cost you that much money." You all seem to be the nicest sorts of people, and your trust is very evident.

It is very strange to me how the two rings can be so similar in nature and yet I''m so "taken" with Ring A.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I have had my heart set on an asscher for sometime and also some ring A and was blown away by the price. Knowing that a comparable stone on GOG would be only about half, I wasn''t willing to pay for the setting.

I think Ring A is prettier.

hopefully

Rough_Rock
You guys this is most wonderful and helpful info -- I''ve just done some price-searching (handy-dandy tools you have here too!) and it looks like a 1.5c Asscher in the G-H VS1-VS2 range is going to be in the 7,500-10,000 range. Now I need to figure out if I can do a setting with pretty side stones too...

The close-up of the French cut was much appreciated -- it''s quite lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results