shape
carat
color
clarity

A Rare and Unusual Gemstone

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

I wanted to share with you a rare and unusual gemstone that not many people know about. It’s called Chlorastrolite, but is also known as Isle Royale gemstone or greenstone. It’s found in only two places on earth: Isle Royale and the Keewenaw Peninsula, both of which are located in my home state of Michigan. It is the state gemstone of Michigan and is known for its unique “turtleback” look. What makes this particular specimen especially rare is that it was collected decades ago from Isle Royale, which is a remote island in Lake Superior, and is now a national park. Because of its status as a National Park, no further material may be removed from the island. As such, most of the Chlorastrolite in circulation is from the Keewenaw Peninsula. 29C84F88-55FE-4AB1-8653-C0CB4A51A022.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Voodoo Child Your greenstone from Isle Royale is beautiful. As a fellow Michigander :wavey: I have a few jewelry pieces set with small greenstones made by local metal smiths. I hope to come across a larger specimen someday with a nice and distinct turtleback pattern. I might even venture up to the Keewenaw and search for one myself!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I am a native Minnesotan, and my family loves camping on Isle Royale. I had no clue about this gemstone. Thanks for sharing!

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
@Voodoo Child Your greenstone from Isle Royale is beautiful. As a fellow Michigander :wavey: I have a few jewelry pieces set with small greenstones made by local metal smiths. I hope to come across a larger specimen someday with a nice and distinct turtleback pattern. I might even venture up to the Keewenaw and search for one myself!

You have excellent taste! While certainly remote, the Keewenaw is so beautiful that the trip is totally worth it. You could stop in Petoskey on your way up and get some nice polished Petoskey stones

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I am a native Minnesotan, and my family loves camping on Isle Royale. I had no clue about this gemstone. Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome! Chlorastrolite is hard to find because it is rarely found in sizes larger than a pea and it does not look like the photo above until it is polished. Minnesota has some beautiful Lake Superior agates that you can find along it’s shores if you like scavenger hunts

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been to Isle Royal twice the smallest of the national parks. Pretty place. Did not know about the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results