shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for the smiths

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skibb

Rough_Rock
Hi, This is a great forum, very informative and spilling over with good will and positive vibes.

I have a question that is directed at any gold or platinum smiths that may frequent the board. Most queries seem relate to gems or stones.

My fiancee and I have bought a 1.3ct G SI1 round diamond. We want a very simple 18k gold ring with a 4 prong tiffany setting and have discussed it with two jewellers. All advice that we have heard to date is to opt for platinum setting for security purposes.

One of the jewellers that we have talked to strongly recommends a 18k white gold setting rather than platinum. His rings are made using cast ring and setting blanks. His view is that platinum although more dense than gold is more pliable and malleable unless worked hardened which a cast setting wouldn''t be. He therefore believes that the stone is more secure with the white gold setting. Working the casting, strengthens it but makes it more britle .

The second jeweller will hand forge the ring and setting and is happy to use platinum. (It may be the cast the forging process will work harden the platinum, I don''t know). While on paper this appears more attractive, we cannot see examples of exactly what we want at his workshop (which we can at the first jeweller, who is more high street).

Is white gold setting okay? Should I be worried about either it or the cast platinum setting.

Thanks in advance.

Skibb

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Skibb: I'm not a "smith", but my two cents: Insure the diamond, and then set worry aside and get what you really want. That's what insurance is for.

I'd suggest a white metal for the prongs to preserve the color of your G diamond, so have the prongs done in platinum or white gold (many choose platinum), and the rest can be the 18K gold she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results