carat
color
clarity

a question about gold plating

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my sister gave me all of mum's jewlwey that she saw no value in
i don't mind, i got my shear of the good stuff

but mum has some gold plated chains - the plate is wearing off in places but because they are nice and heavy i would be keen to wear them just in the silver

i am assuming they are silver under the gold

is there anything i can do to get the gold off ?

there is a place somewhere in town that does electro plating - would i have to take it to a place like that
i should post pictures but its too late to rustle through boxes in the bedroom

thank you in advance
Nicky

Diedra

Rough_Rock
Hi Nicky,

the easiest way would be going to the closest electroplating workshop to ask them to do it. It sometimes happens that the coating they apply is faulty, so they need to remove it first before correcting the mistake. They would use similar technique to remove the coating from your chain, but of course - they need to see the item first.

I hope this helps!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would take it by a jeweller to get a reccomendation. If they do their repairs on site they may be able to take off the plating and figure out what is underneath. If they can't they may have a recommendation on where to try taking it next.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It may not be silver underneath. It may be brass or base metal.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Nicky,

the easiest way would be going to the closest electroplating workshop to ask them to do it. It sometimes happens that the coating they apply is faulty, so they need to remove it first before correcting the mistake. They would use similar technique to remove the coating from your chain, but of course - they need to see the item first.

I hope this helps!

Thank you
I was hoping this would be a good option as we have an electro plater somewhere in town
I really appreate your reply

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take it by a jeweller to get a reccomendation. If they do their repairs on site they may be able to take off the plating and figure out what is underneath. If they can't they may have a recommendation on where to try taking it next.

Thank you
we have two non- mall jewlers in town- one i know that has a bench

Its a nice length and weight and i wear silver chains
i feel sorry for anything of mum's my sister doesn't want - because she sees it as having no great value
She's such a snob

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results