A cushion ruby...my favorite!:love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's simply breathtaking! Goegrous!

voce

Ideal_Rock
:love::love::love:
A good thing I went to sleep when I did; it would have been hard to fall asleep after seeing these! Such a luscious, beautiful red, and eye clean, if I'm right!
Although in the last pic there looks to be some striations, I have seen those in other untreated rubies, too, and assume that is just part of the crystal structure and not a clarity issue.
She looks so good on your daughter's finger! Are you sure your daughter doesn't want this ruby?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I know you've named some of your gems before; this special ruby deserves a name, too!

Sooooo beautiful! And it looks great with the YG. Where's the drool emoji? Ah well, this will have to do :lickout:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love:
A good thing I went to sleep when I did; it would have been hard to fall asleep after seeing these! Such a luscious, beautiful red, and eye clean, if I'm right!
Although in the last pic there looks to be some striations, I have seen those in other untreated rubies, too, and assume that is just part of the crystal structure and not a clarity issue.
She looks so good on your daughter's finger! Are you sure your daughter doesn't want this ruby?
Yes, definately eye clean but with inclusions (how I figured out Burmese, there are particular types - look at Lotus Gemology they kindly have photos of what to look for).
As for my girl, I think I bought the wrong one home from hospital (ha ha). Absolutely no interest in jewellery except for opals and blue sapphires.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you've named some of your gems before; this special ruby deserves a name, too!
Your choice- but I think Sunset in tribute to a rather famous (albeit humongous) ruby.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Your choice- but I think Sunset in tribute to a rather famous (albeit humongous) ruby.
dawn
dôn,dän/
noun
  1. 1.
    the first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise.
:kiss2:Well, if I get to name this ruby, I would call it Dawn. By sunrise, the sun is out, bright and glorious. I think that dawn refers to the lovely color the sun casts across the sky before it emerges from the horizon. This ruby definitely has that lovely glow of the dawn that hints at the sunrise!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 I tried to resist thinking about settings but was not successful.
What do you think of this for the ruby? The sapphire in the pic below is of a similar size.
setting1.jpg
Any thoughts on wg vs yg to pair with ruby?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawn
dôn,dän/
noun
  1. 1.
    the first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise.
:kiss2:Well, if I get to name this ruby, I would call it Dawn. By sunrise, the sun is out, bright and glorious. I think that dawn refers to the lovely color the sun casts across the sky before it emerges from the horizon. This ruby definitely has that lovely glow of the dawn that hints at the sunrise!
Dawn she is.:appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunner of a gorgeous stone! :love:

I have been slack in getting my Burmese spinel set (too much going on in life) but seeing all this ruby love is giving me the itch to get ‘r done! :twisted2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C443ED0A-CB8A-4FAA-B1E1-0B43FE464913.jpeg As much as I love white gold (always my preference) the reason why Burmese ruby traders display their rubies on brass trays ie “gold color background” apparently is because it amplifies the red tone. So, I think yellow gold if you want more glow and warmth, white gold if you want contrast.
That ring setting is lovely btw.
And if you wonder if the extra chromium is worth all the fuss.
Both the top two rubies (ring and necklace clasp) have good clarity but in low light look quite flat.
The bottom one, well it just glows no matter how little light.

voce

Ideal_Rock
C443ED0A-CB8A-4FAA-B1E1-0B43FE464913.jpeg As much as I love white gold (always my preference) the reason why Burmese ruby traders display their rubies on brass trays ie “gold color background” apparently is because it amplifies the red tone. So, I think yellow gold if you want more glow and warmth, white gold if you want contrast.
That ring setting is lovely btw.
And if you wonder if the extra chromium is worth all the fuss.
Both the top two rubies (ring and necklace clasp) have good clarity but in low light look quite flat.
The bottom one, well it just glows no matter how little light.
Wow, that picture makes me love Dawn even more! I honestly think she is above what Burmese ruby traders can offer these days. I would like to set her in platinum with diamonds, as her namesake is also set that way. I think Dawn glows enough on her own that she doesn't need yellow gold to "amplify" her already excellent tone. :kiss2: I think setting her in platinum or white gold will make her stand out even more from other rubies. Chromium is a magical element for gemstones. Definitely worth all the fuss! :lol-2:

@Bron357 I tried to resist thinking about settings but was not successful.
What do you think of this for the ruby? The sapphire in the pic below is of a similar size.
setting1.jpg
Any thoughts on wg vs yg to pair with ruby?
That's such a unique setting! I'm usually not a fan of semi-bezels but the sidestones flow really nicely. And in terms of the color metal, I would go with whichever color you're more likely to wear. Possibly mixed metal (e.g., YG basket with WG/plat shanks) if you like the two-tone look. Don't do what I did. I have a grossular garnet that I think looks best in RG so that's what I set it in. But then I realized RG doesn't look good on me so now the ring just sits in my jewelry box :(2 I'm thinking of having the stone reset so it can see the light of day. But that's a project for another day...

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ruby @voce
It’s going to make a stunning ring! :love:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That color! :love: :love: :love: It is so beautiful. Is this the 1 carat one? What are the dimensions?

voce

Ideal_Rock
@kindred Yes, it is the 1 carat one. I don't know the dimensions, but it looks fairly symmetric, so I estimate 6mm based off a similar carat size blue sapphire cushion (the one in the inspiration pic).

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't wait until you are able to get it set and show us the final project!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8383FD35-9B05-4129-8142-844BF236EEEF.jpeg B00E4346-7060-440A-9A8E-20E901F50099.jpeg Hi, yes 5.99 mm, weight 1.09 carats (but apparently my scale is a bit under .02).
Dawn is going off with some sisters for a report hopefully next week. Not sure if the guy here (Bill) gives an opinion on origin but we’ll see.
Excuse my biscuit crumbs on the girdle - ha ha. No fancy photos or even clean gems here - oops.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much @Bron357 for giving me another look at Dawn. She looks perfect! I hope Dawn and her sisters make their way home safely to you. I like the red tablecloth even if there are biscuit crumbs on it; it really shows off how red Dawn is! :P2

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Divine color

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results