shape
carat
color
clarity

A new RED thread!

meladori

Rough_Rock
Do you mean you crafted it yourself or designed it yoursel and had it made by others? The winged lions on the sides make it interesting. Any hand shots?

Thank you, they are lamassu. Both. I designed it, worked on the wax myself, and then took it to the casters. After it was cast I set the stone myself. I'll see if I can take a hand shot tomorrow.

meladori

Rough_Rock
It's rather small, at 5x7, hence I put some decorations around it to make it more interesting.

ring2.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red tourmaline flanked by blue pear tourmalines

Attachments

• 99C6E16A-DA0A-4F81-BB0A-087E0890328D.jpeg
    99C6E16A-DA0A-4F81-BB0A-087E0890328D.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 65

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade, where are your reds?

Did a small experiment to see how different red stones (with varying levels of fluorescence look in the sunlight vs without):

Top: shaded natural light
Bottom: morning sunlight
0CBAB973-3FA0-4163-BB8D-AC7B646CCB1A.jpeg

Left to right: pinkish red Mozambique ruby with good fluoro, vivid red Mozambique ruby with little fluoro, Mahenge spinel with strong fluoro, Burmese spinel with some fluoro

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Here's three Tanzanian ruby crystals, picked out from a dealer's stock of gem rough:
Tanzanian rubies 1.JPG Tanzanian rubies 2.JPG

The two crystals that show up as pinker on the photos are from Morogoro, a vivid fuschia pink/red and go mad under LWUV. The other crystal is from Winza, is not as fluorescent, and doesn't have the inner glow of the other two. The largest crystal is 11mm across in it's longest dimension.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results