shape
carat
color
clarity

A little disappointed on my first purchase from JA

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was so looking forward to my first real dangled earrings, and was super excited when I got the package. I have to say the package is very nicely done... but the earrings were quite a disappointment. Kind of like the Big Mac commercial vs. the real big mac that you get.... make sense? I wish JA would put more pictures on their website. I am posting this in case someone is interested so they can get a better idea of the actual size.

This pair from JA seems to have everything I was looking for - not too too pricey, very elegant and most of all, the diamonds look so big and shiny on the website. I have a pair of studs that I own for a long time, but rarely wear them as I was afraid of loosing them. https://www.jamesallen.com/fine-jew...e-gold-diamond-floret-drop-earring-item-55893

Although the website says 0.54 ctw, but it also says 7.2mm, so that's quite awesome, right?....Also service was meh, I placed the order on 2/12, but didn't get it until 3/8..... thank goodness for the 30 days policy, these earrings are going back. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time returning them.

You see the big difference in size compared to the one on the website?
IMG_97021.jpg

This is comparing my stud which is also roughly 7.2 to 7.3mm...
IMG_97031.jpg

Perhaps the diamonds are sparkly, but they are really tiny, mostly seeing the metals.
IMG_9700.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll agree with you, what they promote in their ad is not what you received. The ad is misleading and deceptive.
If you look at their ad, as it spins around, the “floret” part appears slightly bigger than the earring clip part. What you received is less than a quarter of the size compared to earring clip part.
It’s like they are misleading you visually with the “2 carat” version of the earring while you are buying the .54 carat version.
I’d be sending it back and telling them their marketing methods are purposefully deceptive.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And they aren’t even the same earring!
The ad shows a “coiled” metal section on the earring clip, whereas the earrings you received are just two round jump links connected.
Did they send you the wrong earrings?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And they aren’t even the same earring!
The ad shows a “coiled” metal section on the earring clip, whereas the earrings you received are just two round jump links connected.
Did they send you the wrong earrings?

You are right! I didn’t even notice that! I wasn’t expecting a .54 ctw to be big after all. What got me is they say the size is 7.2mm.

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
You are right! I didn’t even notice that! I wasn’t expecting a .54 ctw to be big after all. What got me is they say the size is 7.2mm.

Wow that is really a big difference from the stock photos! The 'clips' you received are so much bigger than the diamond cluster (proportions are all off) and obvious low in quality too.

Where did it say 7.2mm on the website though? I must have missed it.:confused:

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow that is really a big difference from the stock photos! The 'clips' you received are so much bigger than the diamond cluster (proportions are all off) and obvious low in quality too.

Where did it say 7.2mm on the website though? I must have missed it.:confused:

I found it under Review and Questions:
EF45C716-BF00-4FED-8EC1-A01DFA679852.jpeg

justdeb__

Rough_Rock
Premium
How incredibly disappointing. They look like costume jewelry. It doesn’t even look like the same earring :(2

We purchased our ER from JA and had a great experience. Maybe they’re better with rings than fine jewelry. When you do return the earrings, I sure hope you let them know that the earrings you received were poorly misrepresented on their website and just plain deceiving.

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with your first JA purchase. I certainly hope there was some sort of mix up and had sent you something else instead.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They certainly don’t look the same as on their website, no wonder you’re disappointed. The lever backs on yours are the basic kind, the website ones look finer.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow. That’s not even close. I’m with others, maybe they sent you the wrong earrings? Either way, return them since it’s not what you paid for.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ew.
But- I think I may have a answer?
I think the setting differences are directly related to the tcw. Like a beefier earring post and back for larger earring stud cw?
It may be like looking at the proportions on the head detail of a 2ct solitaire, ordering a .5ct and noticing those proportions are different, skewing the aesthetic detail of what the buyer found attractive in the first place.
As for finding out about the measurements in the Q&A column- I'd be weary of that as well. The Q&A column is generic for the product itself, not specified for that tcw? I did not look around on their site to see though. If that's true it weird the one asking the question didn't specify and the vendor didn't either.
I could see myself making the same judgment to buy, and assuming the same thing, and sending them back.
If shipping was expensive I'd complain. If not, I wouldn't.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The Q&A column is generic for the product itself, not specified for that tcw? I did not look around on their site to see though.

The last Q&A answer also says the 7.2mm is specific for the 0.54 tcw earrings
"These earrings are 7.2 mm in diameter and .54ctw."

SomethingNew: Wow, I would be incredibly disappointed in your shoes. They look absolutely nothing like the picture. Like a cheap knock off or something. The aspect ratio is completely off. The lever backs look so flimsy in comparison. Hopefully it was just a mistake and they sent the wrong earrings. Please keep us updated, I would love to know their response! Vendors mess up, but it's how they handle it that matters!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking that I would call customer service and let them know I received the wrong item. There are too many differences for this to be the correct pair of earrings. See what they say from there.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Boy that sure is unfortunate. I’d be disappointed too. Those are the only pair of drops on their website, so it’s not likely that they sent you the wrong pair. Hopefully they can make it right or give you a prompt refund.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this was such a disappointing experience and I’m glad you are returning them. No reason to keep them since they are not what you were expecting. Start over and PSers will help you find the perfect pair of dangle earrings. Start a new thread in Rocky Talk when you are ready with your budget and specifics of what you want and I bet you will find the perfect dangles.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see the ones shown on-line. They are elegant, beautiful and well made. Then I see the pair you were sent. They are either accidentally sent in error or just a huge mistake in marketing or accidental delivery. Definitely, return them and ask "what's up?" I would ask that you give JA every opportunity to send you the correct pair because the ones shown on their website are beautiful. You might actually really like them.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also returned a recent James Allen purchase: a 4 ct. trellis eternity band. They had to make it in my size, so I asked that they make one exactly like the first 360 degree video shown, plus, I asked that the prongs not stand taller than the diamond tables. I was told by customer service that I could not request anything custom, so I crossed my fingers. I received a ring that from the underside looked like links for a dog collar. I also thought that the diamonds were small for a 4 cttw ring. The diamonds themselves were little fireballs and the ring sat nice and low. But I was very disappointed and returned it. Sorry your earrings were a disappointment to you. They look gorgeous in the stock pic, but overly tiny IRL.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious if they do in fact measure 7.2mm?

I would have been disappointed too. The earring part looks almost custom in the fake photos on JA with the wire backs and two little coils. The ones
you got look like the generic backs.

I would send back and want some answers from JA.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wasn't able to find them on their website. I mean, I could follow your link, but when I browsed for earrings they weren't on the earring page. So maybe they can't get them anymore.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't see the sense to purchase generic jewelry trough on-line website! I would shop on-line for unique diamond or estate jewelry, but I wouldn't buy common jewelry on-line. There are still nice brick and mortal jewelry stores...

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Boy that sure is unfortunate. I’d be disappointed too. Those are the only pair of drops on their website, so it’s not likely that they sent you the wrong pair. Hopefully they can make it right or give you a prompt refund.

Yes exactly! That’s the only pair of dropped so I think it’s just way too deceiving to make a .5 to look more like 2ctw.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wasn't able to find them on their website. I mean, I could follow your link, but when I browsed for earrings they weren't on the earring page. So maybe they can't get them anymore.

It’s all the way at the bottom when you look under earrings under fine jewelry.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just curious if they do in fact measure 7.2mm?

I would have been disappointed too. The earring part looks almost custom in the fake photos on JA with the wire backs and two little coils. The ones
you got look like the generic backs.

I would send back and want some answers from JA.

No the diameter is more like 3mm to 3.5mm, I am thinking maybe it’s the totaling diameter of the pair, not each, which makes a HUGE difference! But I think JA needs to put more pictures and better measurements/descriptions, it’s totally misleading.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I see the ones shown on-line. They are elegant, beautiful and well made. Then I see the pair you were sent. They are either accidentally sent in error or just a huge mistake in marketing or accidental delivery. Definitely, return them and ask "what's up?" I would ask that you give JA every opportunity to send you the correct pair because the ones shown on their website are beautiful. You might actually really like them.

It is unlikely they have sent me a wrong pair, this is it! Just the product is completely different from what they advertised. It’s it not like they are showing options to choose different carat weight from .5 to whatever the video shows. I am just hoping they won’t charge me for return shipping.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also returned a recent James Allen purchase: a 4 ct. trellis eternity band. They had to make it in my size, so I asked that they make one exactly like the first 360 degree video shown, plus, I asked that the prongs not stand taller than the diamond tables. I was told by customer service that I could not request anything custom, so I crossed my fingers. I received a ring that from the underside looked like links for a dog collar. I also thought that the diamonds were small for a 4 cttw ring. The diamonds themselves were little fireballs and the ring sat nice and low. But I was very disappointed and returned it. Sorry your earrings were a disappointment to you. They look gorgeous in the stock pic, but overly tiny IRL.

I have to say I am not very impressed with their customer service. I have had much better service buying from other online jewelry retailers. I get that the earrings are a very small purchase compared to all the nice diamond rings other people are buying, but still I get close to no customer service, just one email that they got my order and my credit card was charged without any issues.... ok.... then no follow up until almost a month later to say item is shipped. I just felt it’s a bit long for a stock item.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unlikely they have sent me a wrong pair, this is it! Just the product is completely different from what they advertised. It’s it not like they are showing options to choose different carat weight from .5 to whatever the video shows. I am just hoping they won’t charge me for return shipping.

This is what I assumed wrong in my pervious post - I'm sorry.
They totally are askew.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do think they look .27 each, but the picture was deceptive and the answer about diameter mm was very wrong. They definitely need to fix those errors. And they certainly shouldn't charge you shipping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results