shape
carat
color
clarity

a gift Q...do most people expect...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the same amount spent in return?

let say i received a $100 B-day gift from you,then on your next B-day do you expect for me to spent the same amount on your gift? more/less??

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 3:23:53 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
the same amount spent in return?

let say i received a $100 B-day gift from you,then on your next B-day do you expect for me to spent the same amount on your gift? more/less??

I don''t know if people would expect me to return a gift of similar value, but I would try to find something that is close to what I''ve received as a gift. I usually do not initiate giving gift so I don''t have any expectations. Gifting is a stressful thing for me.
9.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I give gifts because I like to, and because I find things that people will enjoy and appreciate. I don''t expect to receive anything in return, so I guess the answer to your question would be ''no''.
3.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Very similar question to what I posed a few days ago...

dollar for dollar...no...

But definitely in thought...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 5:14:30 PM
Author: vc10um
I give gifts because I like to, and because I find things that people will enjoy and appreciate. I don''t expect to receive anything in return, so I guess the answer to your question would be ''no''.
3.gif
do you have my address?
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 5:40:33 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

In thought would be nice, I agree. But dollar-wise, no.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, that has never crossed my mind. I give gifts, because I want to and to don''t get tabs on what someone gives me in return...

I guess if you exchange gifts with a certain person, and you give more than they give you it could get on your nerves.

BUT, I think the whole gift giving thing, shouldn''t be about that.
2.gif

So DF who stiffed you on a gift?? You always start these threads, ask a question but never tell us the story behind it.....

So dish it, I want to hear...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 6:07:29 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Nope, that has never crossed my mind. I give gifts, because I want to and to don''t get tabs on what someone gives me in return...

I guess if you exchange gifts with a certain person, and you give more than they give you it could get on your nerves.

BUT, I think the whole gift giving thing, shouldn''t be about that.
2.gif

So DF who stiffed you on a gift?? You always start these threads, ask a question but never tell us the story behind it.....

So dish it, I want to hear...
no,nothing like that,just wondering how others felt. we never did any gift exchanges with our friends.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1.

My circle is all over the place, finances-wise, right now - some people are really doing well in the recession and some are obviously finding it a lot more difficult.

I don't expect their gifting practices to reflect mine monetarily, and neither do they.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 5:54:48 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 12/26/2009 5:14:30 PM

Author: vc10um

3.gif
do you have my address?
9.gif

Haha. No, but I''m sure I can get it from any of the PS vendors.
2.gif
3.gif
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rarely exchange gifts with my friends. One though, I've always sent packages to every birthday and throughout the year and haven't expected anything in return b/c I know finances are difficult for her. One thing that compelled me not to send a gift this year is because she doesn't take the thought to ever call me on my birthday. I never expected even in cost, but at least a bit of thought (and after about five years, I decided not to take the time/thought/money on principal). (and there is NO way she could forget when my birthday is because her son was born on the same day.
2.gif
)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 1:45:32 PM
Author: MC
I rarely exchange gifts with my friends. One though, I''ve always sent packages to every birthday and throughout the year and haven''t expected anything in return b/c I know finances are difficult for her. One thing that compelled me not to send a gift this year is because she doesn''t take the thought to ever call me on my birthday. I never expected even in cost, but at least a bit of thought (and after about five years, I decided not to take the time/thought/money on principal). (and there is NO way she could forget when my birthday is because her son was born on the same day.
2.gif
)
MC
i will always remember yours.
28.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me.
I'll give a $10,000 gift and expect nothing in return.
To expect it to be reciprocated makes it not a gift.
That's called a trade.

I've gotten gifts and felt no obligation to reciprocate.

To me that tit-for-tat mentality means you both may as well just keep your $100.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, seeing how I only give gifts to my friends and only when I find something I really think they''ll love, then no.

There are some cultures or social relationships where it is obligatory to send a gift though, in which case I might read more into it.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don''t expect it, but I probably do use it as a guide on what to spend on their gift.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t expect it but I am weird like that with my husband...if he spends a certain amount on me, I try to do about the same for him to try to be "even".

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Nope, not at all. Then again, I don't get super expensive gifts for people (not more than $75 I would say). Maybe if I spent $500 and they got me a $30 gift I would feel a little weird, but that's part of why I don't buy $500 gifts
2.gif
I don't want them to feel obligated to get me something equally expensive either.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

Ditto. It''s not the dollar value, but the thought that counts.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
If you got me $100 last year, and only $50 this year... I''d still love the gift, no matter the amount.

However if you got me $100 last year, and $10 this year, I''d probably be more concerned about your financial situation, and things you weren''t saying... and probably add you and your family to my prayers...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results