shape
carat
color
clarity

A general question please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blacknotations

Rough_Rock
So I inherited a ring from my grandmother that past about 6 months ago, but anyways. It''s a 4 gem diamond ring, and my question is can I use this as an engagement ring, becuz from my understanding generally a wedding band is the actual wedding ring...am I correct in thinking this or is an engagement ring only ever a single diamond or can it be either, or???

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you can.

But, a lot depends on both of you valuing a family treasure... and understanding the economics of the situation. Some people are not satisfied unless they get/give a multi-thousand dollar ring. Personally, it does make me wonder where there real values are - is it only on the cash value or is there another reason (such as only wanting a certain design, etc). Not saying there are valid reasons for not wanting nice bling as an engagement ring. But if it is soley about the $$$ being spent I''d suggest you re-evalute if you really should get married.

Perry

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
An engagement ring can be whatever you like. The traditional stereotype I suppose is a single diamond ring. But so many people have other types, anything is possible. As with everything, it's up to the individual's preferences.

A "band" of diamonds would typically be a wedding ring. But again, so many wear one band as both the engagement ring and wedding ring. Some have no engagement ring, only a wedding ring.

Are you proposing or being proposed to? As in will you be giving this ring or wearing it as your engagement or wedding ring?

Do you have any pictures of your ring??

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wear whatever you like
1.gif

There really aren''t any rules - except maybe don''t go broke doing it. If you''re planning on proposing, though, I''d find out what she wants..

Pictures?
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could certainly use this ring as an engagement ring, but if you are the gentleman who will be doing the proposing I would make absolutely sure your GF would want this particular ring. It might not be to her taste or she might have been dreaming of getting her own engagement ring rather than an heirloom. If the lady in question would be ok with it then great but if you have any doubt it might be safer to buy a new ring.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the ring you inherited can be used as an eng. ring. I do agree with Lorelei about making sure your GF would be comfortable with a ring from your grandmother since she passed away so recently. Sorry about your loss.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2010 1:55:53 PM
Author: Lorelei
You could certainly use this ring as an engagement ring, but if you are the gentleman who will be doing the proposing I would make absolutely sure your GF would want this particular ring. It might not be to her taste or she might have been dreaming of getting her own engagement ring rather than an heirloom. If the lady in question would be ok with it then great but if you have any doubt it might be safer to buy a new ring.
I agree with Lorelei. Some girls dream about their ideal engagement ring. I personally love the idea of a heirloom ring. You would need to ask her. (If you are the one proposing).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto. There are no rules when it comes to engagement rings, although I beleive there should be one: make sure it''s what she wants. There are lots of women who would love an heirloom ring, and lots who wouldn''t so when you know what category she falls into, you can make your decision. People have all sorts of rings as engagement rings. It doesn''t even have to be a diamond!

blacknotations

Rough_Rock
I''ve already showed her the ring, I''m actually planning on getting the stones set in a new band of her choice soo thats not the problem, was just curious, ty all for your helpful comments!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results