shape
carat
color
clarity

A general $$ estimate for amateur?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what I should spend on this diamond. I know it is probably a tough question to answer, but if someone can ballpark it for me, that would be great. Assuming I would buy it from a discount seller and not a mall jeweler, etc. Thank you.

It is EGL certified

.90 carat
Round Brilliant
6.27 - 6.23 x 3.81 mm
Depth - 61.0%
Table - 56.0%
Crown - 14.9%
Pavilion - 42.5%
Girdle - Thin to Medium Facted
Culet - None

Finish - Good
Symmetry - Good

Clarity - SI1
Color - I
Fluorescence - None

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: The same vendor also is offering this diamond for about $200 less... and it seems like a better diamond. Any thoughts?

EGL certified:

.92 carat
Round Brilliant
6.21 - 6.18 x 3.87 mm
Depth - 62.5%
Table - 56.0%
Crown - 15%
Pavilion - 43%
Girdle - Medium Facted
Culet - None

Finish - Very Good
Symmetry - Very Good

Clarity - SI2
Color - G
Fluorescence - None
Graining - Nil

NOTES: TOLKOWSKY IDEA CUT

Antonius

Rough_Rock
Well I think the second diamond is about the same due to the lower clarity grade. Going from SI1 to SI2 I think would about balance the other small differences like a little better color and symmetry. I mean, otherwise they seem very similar, but I am far from an expert.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Laker,

I think this post may be easier, relatively, than the other, in terms of which is better. For example, based purely on these charts, both stones, based on % info (HCA prefers degrees) are cherry, but compared to others certed also by EGL, should run around $2900. If you know more about the stones, by seeing them and developing your own preference, or knowing it is EGL USA (supposedly tougher/more reliable grading) the picture could change. But both seem quite promising. The SI 1 may be more encouraging, from the point of less likely visible inclusions. You could ask the vendor if they know if there are any visible inclusions in either, and while you''re at it, learn more about them, i.e., can they get sarin/degree measurement? Otherwise, if they''ll be at the vendor until seen, you might ask the vendor for their preference, and get further advice from a knowledgeable appraiser, several of which post to this board.

best wishes,

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Ira. I appreciate your response. I asked the vendor whether or not he sees any visible to the inclusions on the SI2 and he says no (hopefully he is being honest). He says that to his eye he can tell that the SI2 is definitely whiter than the SI1.

He has not yet gotten back to me after I asked him if he had and ideal scope image. Hopefully he does... although I doubt it.

Thank you for the info... decisions decisons.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Oh... I forgot to mention. $2,150 is the price he will sell me the SI2 for and $2,375 is the price on the SI1.

I bought a diamond from this jeweler about 3 or 4 months ago that I was going to put in a setting and propose with, but ran into some money troubles so I put off the proposal. The last diamond I bought from him I paid $2,100 for and I actually ended up selling it to a jeweler near me for $2,150.

I am sure the prices he are asking are good... I guess mostly I am wondering which rock is better.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Sarin report info.

Diam. 6.18 mm (6.17-6.19)
Depth 3.87 mm 62.6%
Crown 34.8'' 15.4%
Pavil 40.9'' 42.9%
Table 3.43 mm 55%
Culet 0.7% Very small
Girdle 1.7 sl. thick-2.7 sl. thick 2.2%

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Ok. Nice angles.

I'm out the door right now so someone can run it through HCA but I'm betting it's in the high 1.X range - in short - very worthy of your attention.

A minor question - do you have the amount of variance for pavilion angle (it would be expressed as a range, such as 40.7-41.1, etc.)

Not critical, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to look between all the cushions for change in the couch
1.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
It comes up under 2 (just) on the HCA with excellent light return and everything else very good. Sounds cheap for what it is.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you may have just found the one!!!
2.gif

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Yeah... I think I am going to buy it. Sounds like you guys think it''s a decent stone at a good price.

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2005 7:19:14 PM
Author: Bagpuss
It comes up under 2 (just) on the HCA with excellent light return and everything else very good. Sounds cheap for what it is.
weird... i''m sure i saw this discussion on a different thread, but when i put the #''s from the sarin for % in for crown & pavillion, it comes out to a 1.4... and with the angle degrees, it''s just under 2. even better news depending on which one you look at.
face6.gif

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Well... I bought the diamond. He actually (upon my reminding him that I was a repeat customer) dropped the price down to $2,093 including overnight shipping ($2,075 plus $18 shipping).

I hope I am happy with the diamond (and I hope SHE is happy with it as well).

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!
36.gif

Did you like the diamond when you saw it? That''s the real acid test, though it''s nice to know that the numbers back up your choice. I like your haggling skills too - a man after my own heart.
2.gif

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Thanks. No... in fact... I have not even seen the diamond yet(other than some pictures). It was one of those internet purchases. I hope I like the diamond. The specs seem good from what people are telling me. He is going to overnight the diamond.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
I just received the diamond... and from my layperson's view... it looks pretty damn nice. I can't see any eye-visible inclusions (and I have 20/20 vision) and it appears pretty much colorless. But then again... I am no expert.

He included the Sarin Report (it's just a sticker that says SARIN and has all of the details). The report shows all AGS 0.

The EGL certificate shows the inclusions... but there are only about 3. One is a line that enters into the edge of the table and the other 2 are circular but dotted lines rather than solid lines (those are actually on the table).

I don't think for the $2,093 delivered that I paid that I could have found a diamond I would be happier with.

Just curious... how does a jeweler get a Sarin report? He did not have one when I asked but got it later in the day.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, it''s sounds beautiful!! How are you going to get it set??

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Well... this is the setting she REALLY likes... so I am trying to find something similar or a good jeweler to custom make one just like it. It is for sale at BlueNile... but they won''t sell me just the setting. They will only sell it with a diamond purchase.

So I''ll keep looking for something similar.

DM15502300_zoom.jpeg

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Upon further review... the one linear inclusion is eye visible.

Shit.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Quick question... Will jewelers who have idealscopes generally allow a person to look at their diamond through it (assuming I did not buy the diamond there)? Perhaps I can look at some settings while I am there and that will satisfy them that I may be a customer... and who knows... I might see the setting I want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results