shape
carat
color
clarity

A budget challenge....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Can''t believe that it has taken this long for me to ask for your advice - I have been lurking here for a while. Like most people I was overwhelmed by all the info that''s available here!

Anyway, my boyfriend has left the ring research to me and I want to check that we are on the right track. I will likely buy on the internet with the only snag being that I live north of the border but will cross that bridge later....

I want to keep the centre stone under $2000 CAN (the present exchange rate is really helping me out!!), this is about $1550 US. I picked this value arbitrarily since I don''t want anything too big, but there is some flexibility here.

My favorite setting is a thin platinum band with 2 side pear shaped diamonds. Surprised myself, as I thought that I would end up with something more modern but this style looked great on my hand.

Anyway, back to the diamond. Want a ''very good'' to ''excellent'' cut, G-H colour, and SI1 - SI2 clarity (eye clean - ofcourse
1.gif
). These stats give me some good choices in the happy .5 carat range - which is big enough for me.

I would value some feedback.....how''s a rookie doing so far? Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!
Feel like I know some of you quite well!
wavey.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the internet vendors ship to Canada a few times each week, so no worries there. Focus on the center diamond first and put most of your money there, it is easier to upgrade the mounting than the diamond. Look for an SI-1 where the clarity grade is based mostly upon translucent diamond crystals - probably in the center region of the table facet - as opposed to a myriad of feathers located along the girdle edge of the stone. People tend to prefer SI-1 clarity diamonds that don't have inclusions within the table area, but the reality is that if the diamond is "eye clean" the feathers actually pose more of a problem, think durability. Happy Hunting!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've got an excellent budget for what you are seeking.

If you are tempted to go a little bigger in size, you could even get a .60c with that budget, G SI1 or similar, eye clean and Hearts and Arrows excellent cut. Food for thought.

Have you started looking? I may take a peek on the cut quality search and see what comes up for you.
1.gif

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies so far,

Seems like I can get something pretty nice with my budget, so I am happy!

I am in the lucky position of marrying a guy whose income potential will jump considerably in the next couple of years, so maybe we can upgrade then! But I bet I will love the one I have...

Thanks Mara, I will look at the stones you suggested. I have left a message with Jonathan at GOG, but have yet to receive a reply - hopefully just backed up from the holiday rush.

PS. My avatar is a ridiculous Korean animated character called 'Mashimoro' who's comic strips make me laugh.....

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara,

I am looking at the first diamond that you found from whiteflash - should I worry about the inclusions in the centre? (I guess I will email them and ask for pictures!)

Also, the girdle is thin at some points - how much should this concern me?

Thanks - you must be pretty busy and whatever you can tell me is appreciated!
fisiogrl

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should be busy (working) but I'm not
1.gif

Anyway, the inclusions in the middle, whiteflash can tell you if its eye clean, they have the stone in house. Brian has a great eye, so I would trust what he says if he eyeballs it. Also that is the actual picture of THAT stone, do you see any inclusions in it?! Not me. Good indicator that it's definitely eye clean.

As for thin girdle, WhiteFlash's ACA's tend to mostly have thin-med girdles. I would ask where on the girdle are the thin points and if they are numerous, maybe skip that stone. But if its one or two points, possibly cover those areas with prongs and you're set. You will need to find out more info on the stones by emailing.

Many girdles of many stones will be something like thin-slightly thick. That's a huge range though, so be sure to get specifics. Also pictures of the stones, inclusions closeups, IdealScope images, the works !
1.gif

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Just to keep you up to speed, I have seen some pictures that Brian took of the diamond and can't see the inclusions, but the image is so fuzzy...

Anyway, Denise at WF is going to set a time so that I can talk to Brian directly. This will hopefully reassure me about the inclusions.

I also got an email from Rich Sherwood (thanks Rich!) saying that he thinks that it might be worth having the appraisal done since it is an SI2. I am debating about this though since it would cost 10% of the cost of the diamond to have it appraised! Seems a little silly, since relatively speaking, it is a low cost stone.

I think that I might just forgo the indep appraisal until after WF sets it. Then when I get my grubby hands on it, take it to a local indep. appraiser.

Any opinion on this idea?

enscjeff

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind that if you plan to ship the diamond to Canada, or declare it at the border, you're gonna pay an extra 26% on top of the exchange. There's a 10% excise tax on unfinished jewellery (ie. cut diamonds) plus the 7.5% PST (BC) and 7% GST (on top of the excise tax too!).

Here's a sample calculation:
$1000 US / 0.78 exchange * 1.10 excise * 1.145 PST & GST = $1614.74 CAD

FYI at $2000 CAD total works out to $1238 US.

On top of all this there's shipping, insurance and possibly brokerage. Easily an extra hundred dollars.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely talk to Brian directly, he's so much fun.
1.gif
We just bought my fiance's wedding diamond and I have had a few talks with Brian. A fount of knowledge.
2.gif

As for the SI2 appraisal...if Brian says its eye clean then I would trust his eyes. That may sound odd but, ALJ just bought her H SI2 from WF and Brian eyeballed that thing and declared it definitely clean...ALJ can't even find the inclusions with her eye or the loupe from what I can recall. If the stone has white, wispy inclusions, you should be more than fine. I would shy away from black ones. But again...talking to Brian when he has the stone right in front of him really sets your mind at ease. He will give you his opinion. If there is another stone you are interested in or is similar...he can also compare the two which sometimes helps with a decision.

On the Canada thing..not too sure where you are at exactly, but a few people have done the whole 'ship to NY' where they ship to a FedEx station right on the border (or something like that!) then just drive over and pick it up! You save on the taxes big time it sounds like. Something to consider, if that is an option or you have a friend who can help you out. If the cost savings are significant, would definitely look into it.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I definitely second Mara's comments.

I was shopping for an H, SI1 stone......and I had phoned Brian to ask him to tell me about the inclusions. He did so, and then mentioned he had another stone in the inventory that was a bit larger and an SI2. I automatically hesitated and said...oooooooohhhh, I don't know....I don't think I want to drop that low, but I was open to his comments on the stone.

He pulled the stones.....both H, one SI1 and the other SI2....he said he felt the SI2 was actually cleaner than the SI1....the SI2 inclusions were a few white, wispy inclusions under the table and some very fine pinpoints. He told me both were positively eyeclean. The SI1, he said, had dark (not black) inclusions, but he actually thought the SI2 stone was a better buy for the money.....looked cleaner and a bit whiter.

I'm SOOOO glad I listened to him. He'd never steer a customer wrong---his reputation depends on it. My appraiser said it's a "top, top, TOP SI2 stone" and that it's a high H, and couldn't believe my find.

If Brian tells you that the SI2 is okay, it's ABSOLUTELY ok. I have had my stone for over a month now, and despite CONSTANT staring at it, I STILL cannot readily find the inclusions with my loupe!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/18/2004 7:30:56 PM fisiogrl wrote:

I also got an email from Rich Sherwood (thanks Rich!) saying that he thinks that it might be worth having the appraisal done since it is an SI2. I am debating about this though since it would cost 10% of the cost of the diamond to have it appraised! Seems a little silly, since relatively speaking, it is a low cost stone.

I think that I might just forgo the indep appraisal until after WF sets it. Then when I get my grubby hands on it, take it to a local indep. appraiser.

Any opinion on this idea?
----------------

Well, if you're gonna pay for an independent appraisal one way or the other (either before or after set), then it doesn't really make sense to talk about the 10% of the stone it's costing....it won't cost less by delaying it.

I guess it depends on what type of setting you're getting from Wf. If it's a $1400 setting, then I can see why you'd want the entire ring appraised as it's value will include an expensive setting. If you're just getting a simple Tiffany setting like I did......then I'd have it appraised before setting. The setting for me was $80......I could replace that if needed, and I wanted the more accurate data that comes from an unset stone.

The only benefit I foresee in using a local appraiser instead of someone like Rich Sherwood is a possible savings in shipping charges. However, I really wanted someone I could TRUST.....and I chose Rich. To minimize the costs, I had WF send him the loose diamond AND the Tiff setting. He appraised the stone loose, and then he took it to a master setter for me. It was less than $50 to have it set, and I got the ring completed. WF pays the shipping from them to Rich, so I only paid the one extra shipping leg from him to me.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
OK, OK, I get it. Do it right the first time so that you don't have any regrets....

I really like aljdewey's idea of having WF send the works to Rich and letting him put it all together. Why reinvent the wheel, right? I would certainly feel comfortable with an appraisal from Rich. My only concern was whether canadian insurance companies require the appraisal in CAN$, or whether it has to be local, etc. I will check with my insurance agent tomorrow and clear up that question.

So my plans now:
1. Chat with Brian about the inclusions and 'eye cleanness'
appl.gif

2. Talk to my insurance company locally to verify the type of appraisal that they accept.
3. Email Rich and coordinate an appraisal time with him.
4. Put the whole thing in motion with WF, who are making me a lovely setting.(they been very patient with me!)

Despite the crazy logistics - I am enjoying all this research!

highendgems

Rough_Rock
congratulations! your budget is tight for an ideal cut stone, but i think you can do well with a cut that scores high on the HCA (just enter your angles and dimensions).

to make sure you get a nice .5 ct. or ABOVE, may i suggest 'I' color, as once set in platinum, your eye will not notice the difference between the near colorless grades.

also, try to find an EGL USA (must be USA) stone vs. the other grading labs, as you will save some money there and EGL USA have improved dramatically.

as for clarity, SI1.

so, SI1 with I color and some LIGHT or FAINT blue fluoresence (will improve color a bit). Your HCA score should be 1.8 or better.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HighEnd Gems...maybe you didn't read the latest, but I posted more than one ideal cut stone for fisiogirl (see my post) from the Pscope engine, all within her budget and far from I color! Her budget is NOT tight for an ideal cut stone with better color than I.

I don't know why you think that she couldn't get what she wants with her budget?

Also, I believe she is currently working with WhiteFlash on one of their A Cut Above SuperIdeal stones. Hopefully she will let us know if it's within budget...

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Well I am going for it!

I talked to Brian and he gave me the low-down on the stone - apparently the central inclusion is minimally visible from underneath and the feather near the edge could be hid by a prong. Overall, the stone is 'eyeclean' face up - which is how I plan to look at it! I feel like I will be getting a pretty good deal. Thanks Mara!

Now the design...........I have attached the one that I want. WF is going to make me a custom copy of this D. Vatche design. I am asking them to price out what it would cost me to put a small 'surprise' sapphire in the band. Birks jewellers up in Can. have a series of rings where they do this and they are beautiful.

The next post shows what I mean...

3stonedesign.jpg

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
See?

This is a single stone ring ofcourse, but you get the idea. What do you think? Simple or with sapphire?

birksblue.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

As usual, you have NO idea what you're talking about.

1) There have been SEVERAL ideal stones found in her price range.

2) The diff between the EGL cert and a GIA or AGS cert at this size is nominal.

3) In this size, she could EASILY go with an eye-clean SI2 with NO, NO problems.

Fisio, please know that High End doesn't really know very much at all about diamonds......he means well, but he's just not up to speed, so take his comments VERY loosely.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Rats!

Made a booboo. The setting that I want is virtually identical except with a round stone, ofcourse. So here is the proper picture!

3stonedesign2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
yes, that is the stone! How many people actually manage to get to say that they came in under budget on their ring, I wonder? Leaves me free to blow a little bit more on the setting, which is great!
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful setting you picked out. The surprise sapphire looks neat with the solitaire, but it may get lost in the design of the 3 stone ring.

Congratulations on coming in under budget!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results