shape
carat
color
clarity

A big thank you to the antique experts - I bought two!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xiao

Rough_Rock
Thank you all who commented on a thread I started earlier this week.
As a reminder, I am looking for an older cut but on a limited grad student budget.

All your comments and opinions really helped me put things into perspective.
I have decided to heed your advice and to find a stone that I love first, and then worry about the setting second.

So, I bit the bullet and purchased these two stones off Ebay. I am hoping that I will seriously love one of them.
Both sellers (MLOpros and doverjewelry) have excellent feedback and I made sure that they both gave me unconditional returns.

First:
1.05 ct Transitional cut loose stone
I/SI2 (but supposedly closer to H/SI1)
Measurements: 6.62 - 6.53 x 3.89mm
Depth%/Table%: 59.1% / 54.7%

trans_xj_small.jpg

Second:
1 ct Old European cut set in an old 14k WG ring
I-J/VS2 but looks more yellow to me from the pictures.
I don''t have any more details.

The OEC is about half the price of the Transitional...so I may be able to afford the plat halo setting with that stone.
I would have to see both stones in person before deciding which one to keep.
I''m so excited though...can''t wait for them to arrive on Monday!!!!!!!
36.gif

Any thoughts?
I would also appreciate advice on how I should evaluate them when they arrive.

OEC_xj_small.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Very exciting. I have bought from both of those sellers fairly recently and my experience has been nothing but very pleasant with both.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get an independent appraiser, especially one with experiences with old cuts like Dave?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''m delighted for you, and I can''t wait to see what you selected.
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of that transitional! The OEC could also be beautiful, but the picture isn''t really big enough to tell much. I can''t wait to hear what you think when you see them.

xiao

Rough_Rock
The stones arrived last night and I promptly spend the next few hours (2? 3? 10?) fawning over them in all sorts of different lighting.
I have a few pictures, but it is really difficult photographing them.

The 1.05 ct transitional stone is very pretty - it''s sparkly, fiery and shiny in a perfect symmetrical way.
However, having looked at mostly OECs and OMCs, this transitional, shallow and with a larger table, was more reminiscent of the modern RB.

The 1 ct OEC came set in a 14k WG ring.
It looks very clean, although with a slight tinge of yellow.
I don''t have much info on this stone from the seller, so I''m not sure how good the cut is.
However, it is lovely, although not as brilliant as the transitional.
I especially love the ''flower'' pattern in the center.

The transitional seems better in terms of size, whiteness and brilliance.
However, I prefer the large facets and depth of the OEC.
Plus, the OEC is almost $1500 less than the transitional.

Anyway, my plan is to send the stones for a quick appraisal and spend the next few days deciding.
Any thoughts?

first up, the transitional...

myprecious 027_small.jpg

xiao

Rough_Rock
Next, the OEC..

myprecious 018_small.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have a candlelight dinner and compare them during dinner.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
MLOPros is a terrific vendor!! I've done a lot of business with Michael and he is wonderful and completely reliable. That transitional looks like a very lovely stone! Congrats on whichever way you decide to go.

What is the difference in the spread of the two stones?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2008 4:04:55 PM
Author: xiao
Next, the OEC..
Congrats...

Now decision time!

Tip...., remember there are no rules..., let your eyes, and your common sense weigh your decision....

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think in the previous topics she says that the OMC is about 5.7mm of 0.9c compared to the transition of 6.7mm of 1.05c.

Xiao, looks like a good plan you have there. Good luck。

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful! I had my eye on that transitational for a long time. It sounds as though you like the OEC better?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure both have their high and low points! Just choose with your eyes, they won''t steer you wrong here!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Check them out in a bunch of different lights together. I had two OECs that were same size, same color and same clarity to decide between- it was quickly clear which was more fiery after some quality time playing with them.

Spotlighting can give you a good idea of what sort of fire display both stones give. You want to see edge-to-edge fire, not just around the outer perimeter or in the middle only. The two I had, one had a middle that was pretty quiet, 90% of the fire came from the outer rim. While it was still sparkly and had a nice pattern, it was definitely the one that I didn''t have set in my RHR.

I''d also agree getting them appraised is a good idea; you want to know that you''re getting what you paid for.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Personally I prefer the transitional, but I have a thing for transitionals at the moment, lol...
It sounds a lil as if you like "the idea" of the OEC better, but do you like it better IRL..?

Just make sure you continue to view them in different lighting, the right one will jump out..

decolady

Rough_Rock
Both are stunning.. I like both cuts equally so I''m not a good one to ask
1.gif

But your eye will very much be the deciding factor between the 2.. best of luck with your decision!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both are beautiful! My suggestions is in line with what others have said. Spend time with each one. Look at them under various lighting conditions and see which one causes you to have an emotional reaction. Does one "speak" to you more than the other?

Another idea is to put them on your hand and look at it in the mirror. It''s a great way to see each stone the way others will see them. Ask someone to take photos of each stone on your hand.

Do you have a stone holder for the loose transitional? These are really cheap and a terrific way to be able to "wear" a loose stone and get an idea of how it will look when set. If there''s a jeweler supply store near you, pick one up.

The wonderful thing about old cuts is that there''s no way to predict how we will react to the stones. For example, Grace (my business partner) and I can be looking at a tray of rings or stones and both squeal in delight because we''ve each spotted something we connect with. It''s almost never the same item. The one she''s head over heels for doesn''t necessarily do anything for me, yet the one I fall for literally takes my breath away but when she looks at it she just sees a pretty stone. It''s almost as if these stones have absorbed 100 +/- years of energy from their surroundings and circumstances and it''s this energy we connect with.

What I''m trying to say is that there may be many things about each one "on paper" that makes it a great stone, but the one you will end up keeping is the one that tugs at your heart for no particular reason you can articulate.

Sorry - lots of romantic babbling from this corner, hope it made some sort of sense (I hurt my back this morning and am on some wonderful pain meds)!

xiao

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the thoughtful responses...
It is so true that certain diamonds can somehow ''speak'' to you.

So, I had the stones appraised today.
Turns out that the transitional is spot on with measurements, color and clarity.
It''s a 1.05ct I, SI2 and the appraiser agreed that it was a very pretty stone.

The OEC was advertised as approx. 1ct and I/J, VS2.
Turns out that it is closer to a J/K SI1 and probably under a carat.
Since it is set, it is difficult to be absolutely certain of the specifications.

The appraiser also felt that I purchased both significantly lower than the wholesale price. Alright, i''ll be upfront here - I got the transitional for just under $3k and the OEC for just over $1k. A big difference..

He strongly prefers the transitional, and it''s not hard to see why.
It faces up very white and very bright.
It performs very well in all light conditions and is very fiery and brilliant.
The stone also has a very nice facet pattern, as seen in the picture.

This OEC has some issues.
It is probably under its supposedly 1ct weight and looks quite small (6.05x6.04mm)
Also, the J/K tinge is bugging me somewhat...I/J color may be my limit.

So, basically, I do love the performance of the transitional..it is really amazing.
However, there''s still something about the OEC that calls to me.
I lovelovelove the depth of the OEC...i could stare into it all day!
The transitional is more shallow and somehow doesn''t have that ''allure''.. =P

Anyhow, I will continue to view them under different lighting conditions (a candlelit dinner sounds sooo good) and also compare the stones to similar ones at my local jeweler.

What a headache!!
Well, I guess I really shouldn''t be complaining about having two beautiful stones in my possession.
3.gif

xiao

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.
I''m returning the OEC and keeping the transitional for now.
It performs so beautifully and looked wonderful when I tried it in a setting.
I have 30 days to return it, so I will be on the hunt for OECs in the meantime and see if there''s anything else that catches my eye (and soul).
Here''s another pic of the transitional in different lighting.

xiao

Rough_Rock
here it is..

myprecious 004_small.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I tried to make my decision before reading the posts - I like the transitional one better. It seems like you made the same choice. It is lovely!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If it were up to me, it would be the transitional, no question. She''s a beauty.

But if she''s not what you want, you should keep looking.

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I would go for the transitional it is very nice and sparkley...I wouldn''t settle either you should get what you love.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results