shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you consider this a good diamond?

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I’m brand new to diamonds and have been reading this board for a little while and now see that finding a great diamond is more complicated than I imagined! My boyfriend and I aren’t ready to buy yet, but I’ve started looking around to see what’s out there. Initially I told him I wanted any pre-owned Tiffany ring in the Tiffany setting (1 carat or over) because I assumed any Tiffany ring would have an amazing cut... I’ve since learned that’s far from the truth. I’m really surprised by how many don’t perform well by the HCA calculator standards.
I came across this one and want to know what you guys think:

1.26 carat
F color
VS1
Triple Ex
Depth- 60.4%
Table- 59%
Crown angle- 34.5
Pavilion angle- 40.8

I don’t have access to photos that show leakage. HCA score is 1.7, but only “light return” is listed as Excellent. Fire, scintillation, and spread are listed as “very good.” With HCA, even if it’s under 2, should I look for a stone with more “excellent” scores? Some of the smaller stones I’ve looked at have 3 “excellents” and only 1 “very good.” I was wondering if those stones would likely be significantly better.

Thanks so much in advance for your input. I’m trying to learn more before we’re ready to buy because I don’t want to spend a lot of money and get a dud! This is all very interesting.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a 60/60 style diamond. It is 'flatter' due to the large table and shallower due to the low depth. It will have more white light return at the cost of less fire. Is that the style you are looking for?

beardog

Rough_Rock
I'd imagine it's a very bright Stone with pinfire scintillation. Less fire than an AGS0 though. Just look up the difference between 60/60 stones & the ags0 or tolk style I believe. They'll have different personalities.
Without a cert or images it's too hard to say for sure, but I'd say 1st & foremost decide what flavor of cut u want. If u Google search the difference you'll see old pscope forums on this.
Once decide on a preferred style post your budget & desired 4c's & you'll get some suggestions if you desire. Also let the forum know if you'll ever have an interest in upgrading as that could play into your vendor choice

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies. I’m not sure if I would prefer a 60/60 stone or not, so I’ll definitly look into the differences. Do people generally not prefer them?

Also, in general, if a stone is under 2 on HCA but shows up only “very good” instead of “excellent,” is that an issue? Thanks!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The HCA is a rejection tool, not a selection tool. It is designed to tell you which diamonds are worth taking a deeper look at. Then you need to arrange to see some diamonds with YOUR eyes, as only when you have done this will you know what YOU like.

Wink

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the replies. I’m not sure if I would prefer a 60/60 stone or not, so I’ll definitly look into the differences. Do people generally not prefer them?

Also, in general, if a stone is under 2 on HCA but shows up only “very good” instead of “excellent,” is that an issue? Thanks!

Really depends on whether you would prefer to see larger white flashes reflected or more smaller rainbow colored fire. My own personal impression is that 60/60 tends to be favored by the older crowd.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s my understanding that you use the HCA for GIA stones (not AGS as they have already been checked for light performance??) and that you consider those with a score under 2. Then you see if you can get ASET/idealscope images. Stones with ideal proportions will score “excellent” on the HCA for everything except spread, which will be “very good”.

If you want to share your budget, we can suggest some stones for you to look at to “get your eye in” before you buy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results