shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you collect rent from your parents?. How about from your kids?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:))

Disoon

Rough_Rock
Never from my parents. Yes from mykids

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not my parents. Kid—yes. I don’t want to give her an unrealistic view of the world. I’ve seen it too many times. “Kids” who are 30 and live rent free spend money on alcohol, nails, Uber’s, etc, And have zero in savings. I bought my first house when I was 25 Bc I was forced to pay rent the minute I turned 16. I am still grateful my mom taught me to be responsible with money and to invest in a home. I think it would help dd build character. She’s is starting her senior year this fall and is currently doing an internship in New York and getting paid mucho dinero. And guess what? She has happily agreed to use that money to pay her tuition. She has also been working thru college since day one and has been paying her personal expenses and groceries and books. She still Manages to have a healthy savings account. I’m very proud of her and especially proud Bc she realizes that getting her nails done is a treat, unlike her 30 yr old cousins. She knows that if she moves back in
After graduation, she will be expected to pay rent.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parents no but kids yes. My oldest works at Amazon and she has to pay our cell phone bill every month and give $50 towards the car insurance, plus pay for gas. When she was making less she still had to give us money for the car insurance and pay for gas. I pay for her college tuition though.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parents no kids depends on how old they are if they are still kids obviously not, if they are grown up that is a different story.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never from my parents. They gave us the best childhood and took care of us through young adulthood and if I am being honest with myself beyond that too. They are always here for us and always ready to do what they can to help. They paid for all our education and they always loved us unconditionally so that is a big fat NO on collecting rent from them. However I will add that no way in HECK would I want them to live with us. My mom and I would end up killing each other most likely. NO. But we would do what we could to help them live where they could be comfortable.

Kids- it depends. How old are they? If they are "adults" as long as they were in school working towards a goal where they could support themselves successful no we would not collect rent from them. However if they were being lazy a** bums then you bet.

Furbabies get to live with us free of charge. Well not free because we require lots of purrs and snuggles and kisses and hugs.
1237347t680xm00ub.gif

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No to both.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't live with my parents but if I substituted in my beloved Lil Sis then no.

The kidlet, yes when he is old enough but only to teach him a life lesson as I actually plan to buy him a house when the market is right.

Reactions: AV_

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really liked what a friends parents did.
They charged him rent and put it into a savings account then when he went to buy a house they told him about "his" money to help with the down payment.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to kids. Parents likely no depending on the situation such as extra medical care/items needed.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No from parents. Depends re kids. If they are spendthrifts and can't save enough to get their own place then yes. But I would save it and then give it back as a downpayment on a house/condo etc. If they have no or little income due to school or job then no if they help around the house.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parents - in an ideal world no. But in reality, they can not live with us - hubby would leave. So... we bought a small second house, and they pay what they can afford toward the mortgage as "rent".

Kids - haven't reached that stage yet. I'd like to say no, but I guess circumstances would determine.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked what a friends parents did.
They charged him rent and put it into a savings account then when he went to buy a house they told him about "his" money to help with the down payment.
This is what I am going to do as well. I don’t charge her rent but whatever she gives me I write it down and when the time comes, she will get it back.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No from my parents and yes from my kids. I have neither though but that’s what I’d do.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never my parents, both of whom are gone now :cry2:

During his two year stint of "finding himself" after high school, my son had to work full time and pay rent and for all his own expenses (unbeknownst to him, I put 50% of that rent away for him). Once he started college, we stopped charging him rent and provide nearly all of his financial support (he's got a couple more years to go). He always knew that was the deal and he never gave us any grief about it. He works part time to pay for his fun stuff. I'm feel very fortunate that he has a great work ethic and values earning his own money.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO. and No.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No and no.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No to parents...yes to kids if they're not in school or trying to further their education in some way. Like others have stated the collected "rent" may be
saved for a future necessity.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not from my parents because they went through many years living in the jungle brought me to the US, provided what they could for me even though now, they have made terrible choices/decisions and squandered their life savings I would not collect rent from them.

As for my kids, depends on what the circumstances are. If they are at home over 18 single being knuckled by not working or going to school, I would force rent which means they would need to start working. If they are in their mid 20s/30s married with kids and trying to buy a house but needed a few months to look for house or building a house probably not.

When my kids turn 16 we will purchase a car, but require a "car payment" from them, they won't know that the "car payment" is to put away towards their savings so when they move out or get married, or off to college, the money belongs to them. Trying to teach some real life financial responsibilities while they are still impressionable. They will need to figure out a way to "work" to earn a paycheck to pay for the vehicle, they have a few different options to accomplish earning a living while maintaining their school work.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
No, and Yes unless they were in college full time.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No to both. My daughters are my only blood relations I have, excluding my much estranged sister. We always all work together at everything. If we had our way, we'd have a big family compound somewhere for multi-generational living. We are absolutely NOT the norm in the sense that there is no cultural basis for this in our families. We are just very close. All of my husband's relations live across the country. We are a tight unit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results