shape
carat
color
clarity

Worried about Knot in Diamond

123per321

Rough_Rock
I am looking to purchase a diamond from Blue Nile. Should I be worried about the big knot in the centre of the diamond? See GIA Report below.

upload_2019-4-22_13-11-7.png

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking to purchase a diamond from Blue Nile. Should I be worried about the big knot in the centre of the diamond? See GIA Report below.

I understand there is a possibility that knots can get knocked out and the best thing to do when considering a diamond with a knot is to have it looked at by an appraiser. It might be a problem or it might not. Personally, unless I had no other choices, I would simply avoid a knot, but others think differently.

Just in case you don’t know, a knot is another crystal that grew at the same time as the diamond. When the crystal is completely encased within the diamond, it’s called a crystal. If the crystal reaches the outside surface of the diamond, it’s called a knot. The issue is that, maybe, a hard bonk to the diamond could knock out the surface crystal, leaving a cavity ... in this case, it looks like the cavity would be large and right on the table. Cavities tend to trap dirt, look dirty, and can affect the look of the diamond. With the location and size of that knot, I would fear that, if it came out, it would profoundly affect the look.

What surprises me is the size of that knot and that the clarity grade is VS1. I would be very interested in seeing more pictures and whether you can have someone look at it to make sure it’s eye-clean.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you whether that particular knot is good or bad, if it is eye-clean. I think you would really need it looked at by a professional like an appraiser to tell you whether it is likely to cause a problem or not (based on advice given by the experts on a another thread asking about a knot).

123per321

Rough_Rock
thanks for the detailed explanation. as this diamond is from blue nile, i only have at best a picture view of the diamond as copied below. cant really see anything with my eye, though like what you mentioned, the size of the knot seems really huge. will probably try to source for other diamond.

upload_2019-4-22_15-35-19.png

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the detailed explanation. as this diamond is from blue nile, i only have at best a picture view of the diamond as copied below. cant really see anything with my eye, though like what you mentioned, the size of the knot seems really huge. will probably try to source for other diamond.

upload_2019-4-22_15-35-19.png

I’m having a hard time seeing it too .... but I am like @Dancing Fire and would not buy a diamond with cavity or knot listed in the report ... I am surprised how hard it is to see though ... the report plot is almost frightening except that it’s VS1, lol.

123per321

Rough_Rock
Found another diamond with the same 4Cs (though slightly more expensive). Can you advise if this is a much better option? Thx!

upload_2019-5-2_20-48-7.png

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

@123per321 ,
I see that you have already moved to another diamond so I feel free to comment on the one with the large knot. It is highly unusual to see a plot like that on a VS1!

It is very interesting just from a curiosity perspective. My guess is that it must be very hard to see or it would not have received such a high clarity grade. As such it is probably securely imbedded in the surrounding material and is not likely to be a durability risk.

That said, it would be very difficult to try to sell or trade a stone with a plot like that.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm in agreement with Bryan on this one.
The ugly plot, combined with a VS1 clarity indicates that the knot is likely incredibly difficult to see under 10x magnification.
I understand Karl's point as well- if one is looking for a super common stone ( 1ct G/VS1 is exactly that) why not move on to the next one.
But if one was seeking a large stone -or a more rare sort of diamond, a knot might be a very good choice.
As Bryan pointed out- it's highly unlikely that a VS graded knot presents any sort of durability concern.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I might break the rule for a rare and exceptional stone.
A large stone I would be even more wary just because of the potential for a super high value loss.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Bryan and Rockdiamond about durability.

Back when I graded diamonds with table knots I was taught to turn off the scope’s darkfield (light coming from the side) and turn on reflected light (coming from the top) because the knot’s outline would reveal itself. It causes me to wonder whether this diamond is one a rare VS1 with a clarity characteristic that becomes eye-visible under certain conditions. I wish I could play with it for an hour.

Wink

SaulGoodman

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about cancelling this order because of the knot, proportion, and the fluorescence. I am a total novice. Need advice.Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.59.44 AM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking about cancelling this order because of the knot, proportion, and the fluorescence. I am a total novice. Need advice.Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.59.44 AM.png

It will be easier to get advice if you start a new thread as this one is old

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results