shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does jewelry (and diamonds and gems) make you happy?

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
I am a super reasonable and rational person. I think if most people knew how much I love jewelry and gems - wearing them, reading about them, learning about the science behind them - they would think I had lost my mind. Lol. So I was thinking today about what appeals to me so much about beautiful jewelry and wanted to hear from others. My obsession started with my beloved Nana who was unbelievably elegant and always had amazing jewelry. When I would go visit, she would get out all of her jewelry and let me play.
It was one of my favorite things to do with her. I studied science - so wearing things that are so old - that have their own unique physical properties - and that will long outlast me - just gives me joy. And I love art - and jewelry is wearable art. When I am having a stressful day, to look down at something beautiful just elevated my mood. How about you? (And thank goodness for PS where I have a “safe space” to indulge my love of beautiful gems and jewelry). And please post something you love. Thanks!

What I am wearing today. View attachment 683734

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...it turns out we have some similarities. My mom, grandmother, and aunt had beautiful jewelry that I was allowed to "play" with, and later to borrow and enjoy wearing when I was a little older. They also gifted me lovely pieces that made me feel special when I wore them. My dad was an artist, and so I also always appreciated the artistry in each piece of jewelry as well. That's what sparked my interest in jewelry and gems. I studied everything I could get my hands on just because I enjoyed the subject matter so much. When I would shop for jewelry, I was told I had a good eye for picking out stones. That's when I decided to follow my dream and take some classes through GIA. I received my GD a little over a year ago. It was a wonderful experience and I would recommend it highly.=)2

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful, and I have always loved looking at beautiful things. They never disappoint.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a super reasonable and rational person. I think if most people knew how much I love jewelry and gems - wearing them, reading about them, learning about the science behind them - they would think I had lost my mind. Lol. So I was thinking today about what appeals to me so much about beautiful jewelry and wanted to hear from others. My obsession started with my beloved Nana who was unbelievably elegant and always had amazing jewelry. When I would go visit, she would get out all of her jewelry and let me play.
It was one of my favorite things to do with her. I studied science - so wearing things that are so old - that have their own unique physical properties - and that will long outlast me - just gives me joy. And I love art - and jewelry is wearable art. When I am having a stressful day, to look down at something beautiful just elevated my mood. How about you? (And thank goodness for PS where I have a “safe space” to indulge my love of beautiful gems and jewelry). And please post something you love. Thanks!

What I am wearing today. View attachment 683734

As you wrote it is wearable art. I have always loved art and appreciated beauty. Wearing beautiful diamonds and gemstones fills me with a similar joy and harmony to what I feel while looking at gorgeous art. When I gaze at Vincent Van Gogh's Starry night for example I am filled with pleasurable emotion. When I wear beautiful bling it makes my heart go pitter patter in a similar way.

It fully engages me and brings me into the present moment. Scientifically explained it reduces my stress, lowers my cortisol and releases endorphins.

To put it simply it makes me feel good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to add a photo as requested. Here she is with another thing that reduces my stress and makes me feel happy. The sea. I have named this photo Bubbalah, the sea and me.

bubbalahandsea.jpg.png

From this past autumn.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I love shiny things. :lol-2: Just staring at them relieves stress. Jewelry lasts longer than handbags and clothing. They can withstand a certain amount of abuse that other things can’t. 430D295D-20D2-4886-B9C5-EB1FEAD6DECF.jpeg .

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180311_171231.jpg
Looking at beautiful jewellery has made me feel happy ever since I can remember. My mother has some lovely things, but my Great Aunt’s jewellery was something else, given her grand old age & great taste in her younger years during the 1930’s. She was born in 1914 & died in 2014. This pearl ring from around 1895-1905 is one of my earliest happy jewellery memories, twirling it on my index finger from around age 5. Consequently, Great Aunt always thought of this as my ring & left it to me in her will. It still captivates me, especially in low lighting.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother had beautiful jewelry, and my dad loved to buy it for her too. Owning and wearing jewelry makes me happy, but even looking a pics of jewelry does. I really think I get a hit of dopamine when I look at jewelry.
I love how you can wear jewelry all the time from blacktie to PJs - even in an operating room they don't make you take off your wedding rings! They taped mine onto my fingers as I'm sure others have had happen. When my 4 kids were born, when my parents died etc - I always had on my rings.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
66BD13AD-1438-4951-B582-13F735B751B1.jpeg I have loved pretty shiny things since I was a toddler. Apparently I used to collect and save the metal foil that chocolates come wrapped in!
I love all gemstones but my favorites are opal and colour change gems.
Magic.
Opals because how they are dug straight out from the ground in all their beauty. No two can ever be the same and how nature created them. Perfectly formed Microscopic silicon spheres that refract light according to the size of the spheres - bigger ones refract blue and green, the smallest ones refractred (which is also why red is rarer).
Colour change gems - nature’s sorcery!
Jewellery is wearable art. You can look at it a million times a day and it never “wears out”. Jewellery also has people connections. I have inherited jewellery worn and loved by my great grandmother and grandmother. Those pieces make me feel connected to them. They help me remember. I almost feel as if a “real part” of them remains here with me though they are long gone.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I too had a Nana who loved jewelry. As a child I was allowed carte blanche to play with her pretties, which made me feel grown up and special. As I grew older I began to appreciate the art of jewelry. I am in awe at what Mother Nature and man can create. I love having wearable art. My jewelry also gives me a sense of accomplishment as most of the pieces I bought myself. While it is quite lovely to receive jewelry as gifts, I find a lot of satisfaction in funding my own purchases.

I have never posted this picture on PS. It is a pic of my OEC and two blue zircons (the later both cut by Roger Dery). I bought the larger one probably 4 or 5 years ago but never set it. I am leaning toward a pendant.

7580E4FC-56CF-4AF5-9DB2-93DDB98E8C38.jpeg

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I love shiny things. :lol-2: Just staring at them relieves stress. Jewelry lasts longer than handbags and clothing. They can withstand a certain amount of abuse that other things can’t. 430D295D-20D2-4886-B9C5-EB1FEAD6DECF.jpeg .
I agree wholeheartedly, it relieves stress, outlasts faddish clothing and handbags. I’m a ring person, I like to stare at them, my antique pieces
make me fantasize about who may have worn them in a prior life. Nobody
can relate to this in my family.... my one dear friend who shared a love
for rings and shoes, sadly passed away last year from Cancer. This is
like having a private part of yourself that you glory in. Thanks for this
blog, I now know I’m not alone.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I agree wholeheartedly, it relieves stress, outlasts faddish clothing and handbags. I’m a ring person, I like to stare at them, my antique pieces

I am so sorry for your loss.

On another note, it’s also nice to inherit pieces from those you love to remind you of them. With antique pieces, you wonder what their life was like back then.

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
Great observations and beautiful ring! I love that my jewelry will be passed down long after I am gone. :)

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
66BD13AD-1438-4951-B582-13F735B751B1.jpeg I have loved pretty shiny things since I was a toddler. Apparently I used to collect and save the metal foil that chocolates come wrapped in!
I love all gemstones but my favorites are opal and colour change gems.
Magic.
Opals because how they are dug straight out from the ground in all their beauty. No two can ever be the same and how nature created them. Perfectly formed Microscopic silicon spheres that refract light according to the size of the spheres - bigger ones refract blue and green, the smallest ones refractred (which is also why red is rarer).
Colour change gems - nature’s sorcery!
Jewellery is wearable art. You can look at it a million times a day and it never “wears out”. Jewellery also has people connections. I have inherited jewellery worn and loved by my great grandmother and grandmother. Those pieces make me feel connected to them. They help me remember. I almost feel as if a “real part” of them remains here with me though they are long gone.

Love this. My grandmother’s jewelry makes me feel connected to her as well. It feels like I still have a part of her.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Great observations and beautiful ring! I love that my jewelry will be passed down long after I am gone. :)

Thanks! I love thinking about how a descendent will love an heirloom piece.

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock

You are definitely not alone. Rings are my favorite as well. And I love vintage rings because I, too, dream about who might have worn them - like some part of their essence became a part of the ring and is now a part of anyone who wears it. I am so sorry for your loss. I am also so grateful for this space where we all understand each other. :). I have a very stressful job - but after my kiddos go to bed, I unwind each night looking at beautiful pieces of art on ps and reading posts by my fellow jewelry lovers. Hugs.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss.

On another note, it’s also nice to inherit pieces from those you love to remind you of them. With antique pieces, you wonder what their life was like back then.
My maternal grandmother left me glorious faux gem brooches ( that’s
what started it for me). I’m not only fine jewelry ring freak, I adore the
Wonderful rhinestone items from the 20’s, 30’s,40’s, along with
perfume decanters, hat pins and some cool hats. I guess my daughter
Will inherit some of both!!

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
I too had a Nana who loved jewelry. As a child I was allowed carte blanche to play with her pretties, which made me feel grown up and special. As I grew older I began to appreciate the art of jewelry. I am in awe at what Mother Nature and man can create. I love having wearable art. My jewelry also gives me a sense of accomplishment as most of the pieces I bought myself. While it is quite lovely to receive jewelry as gifts, I find a lot of satisfaction in funding my own purchases.

I have never posted this picture on PS. It is a pic of my OEC and two blue zircons (the later both cut by Roger Dery). I bought the larger one probably 4 or 5 years ago but never set it. I am leaning toward a pendant.

Beautiful - I love that you had a nana like me. And I have the same feeling on purchasing things for myself. With my very first bonus, I bought little 0.6 carat each diamond studs. I will never give them up because I was so proud that I had worked hard and could buy something like that for myself.

7580E4FC-56CF-4AF5-9DB2-93DDB98E8C38.jpeg

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
My maternal grandmother left me glorious faux gem brooches ( that’s
what started it for me). I’m not only fine jewelry ring freak, I adore the
Wonderful rhinestone items from the 20’s, 30’s,40’s, along with
perfume decanters, hat pins and some cool hats. I guess my daughter
Will inherit some of both!!

Same - I have all of Nanas beautiful, big brooches. She left them all to me. I still love to get them out and look at them.

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to add a photo as requested. Here she is with another thing that reduces my stress and makes me feel happy. The sea. I have named this photo Bubbalah, the sea and me.

bubbalahandsea.jpg.png

From this past autumn.

What a beautiful ring. The sea speaks to me too.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I am yet another with a grandmother with a jewellery collection. Most of it was costume because she didn't have metal allergies like I do and did not have much money. But she had some fine jewellery and purchased me some coloured stones I still love very much.

Some of my first memories are playing in her jewellery, shoes, and clothes. The diamond in my engagement ring is hers even.
For me looking at jewellery and touching it is very relaxing. My husband somewhat understands my obsession since he collected rocks as a kid lol. But I mostly stick to here to talk about my obsession lol.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has expressed themselves so wonderfully.
I don't have anything to add, because you have all said it for me!
My love of jewelry started when I was really little. I have always loved rocks, crystals and jewels of all shapes, sizes and colors.
I have an early memory of loving the song Crystal Blue Persuasion, by Tommy James. When I would hear it on the radio, I thought it was about sapphires.
I guess I was about 5 years old.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I do not know how I decided that these were ´toys' - to handle & marvel at more than wear; I was encouraged, OTT-ly ,)

When close friends saw me without earrings for once, they knew how far I was besides myself! It is still the one kind of jewelry I prefer - freely hanging on like any other indispensible body part.

These are some of my first & some of my recent memories.

TMI

Last edited:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like things that are pretty, sparkly, and indulge the senses. I love it all, both costume and fine pieces. Perfume is my first love, for the same reasons!

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
I love all these responses. Interesting that there are so many connections to beloved grandmothers.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this question! I like gems and jewels and precious metals because they are from the earth; natural, beautiful, and real.

When I was a kid I loved collecting rocks. My favorite class in high school was 9th grade Earth Science. I feel like gems and metals and rocks are, in a way, a tie to reality.... a tie to history. Jewelry is a way of displaying it all.

Add in an antique piece of jewelry and you get in more “reality” and a deeper tie to history. I love seeing old houses and wondering about the people who lived there decades or centuries ago. I even love going to cemeteries and thinking about the people who were once just like me.....

Now..... These deep thoughts aren’t what I think every time I see jewelry :lol-2:, but it is the deep down reason I love it. That said, I don’t really have much to call my own, but I do love looking at them any chance I get.

PriceScopeKayti

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
I fancy myself an artist, and I am constantly drawn to things of beauty. Jewelry can be movingly beautiful, it carries so much emotional weight and sentiment. Jewelry is a marker of chapters in your life and the lives of loved ones.

I may be sappy, but jewelry brings my heart a lightness that is hard to find elsewhere in life.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
You can wear a piece of jewelry every day of your life, it really transcends space and time. It never gets dull, or out of fashion, outdated. It's something that is beautiful and separate pieces can have meaning, somewhat of a badge of honor in a way. I have no grandmother or family with jewelry, and was limited to my wedding jewelry. But oh how that sparked a love for sparkly things!

Also, being a nerd, the chemical composition and variances in cuts mathematics fascinates me. I love that one object can look so much different depending on what chemical it was formed with, or how it was cut. It's magical, natural, and technical. So many good things wrapped into one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results