shape
carat
color
clarity

Why, oh, why, this quality?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
bulgari window aqua.jpg
This is an ad from Bvlgari, or rather a small piece of it.
The whole thing is a half-page in color with famous model included. They spent a fortune on marketing their brand, but....
Why do they use a center-stone that consists of 80% window?
They must know this, right?
They have access to better quality, yes?
Within their giant company budget, a well-cut gem would not ruin them, would it?
What's going on? Am I missing something?
Do people who spent $$$+ on this not care that the center-gem is 80% dead (as long as it XYZ-brand)?
Do high-end-buyer not know that they could have something really sparkly instead?
And finally, even if the customers don't care, do the people at Bvlgari not want to produce fine quality? Where is their pride? Why settle for a totally flawed center-gem?
Who can help solve the riddle? Anybody from a famous brand here?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is deliberate because for the entire collection, almost all center stones have a big window. The collection was inspired by ancient Rome’s Caracalla Baths so maybe the center are the pools and the frames are the intricate building design of the baths. :P2 Stones of antiquity are not also well cut so many would be aghast at the cuts of many crown jewels, and since the pieces are inspired by Ancient Rome...:P2

Also Bvlgari is a risk taker. They used those “pastel” sapphire gemstones when paler stones are of low quality and now many look for pale sapphires without thinking of it as low quality.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is deliberate because for the entire collection, almost all center stones have a big window. The collection was inspired by ancient Rome’s Caracalla Baths so maybe the center are the pools and the frames are the intricate building design of the baths. :P2 Stones of antiquity are not also well cut so many would be aghast at the cuts of many crown jewels, and since the pieces are inspired by Ancient Rome...:P2

Also Bvlgari is a risk taker. They used those “pastel” sapphire gemstones when paler stones are of low quality and now many look for pale sapphires without thinking of it as low quality.
Whoe! What a great answer!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Didn’t someone link to a super trendy cutter recently who cuts stones with giant windows in them? Maybe giant windows are in style.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my humble opinion, this is what art in jewelry is about...truly cohesive designs in which the spirit of a piece is clear, having the vision to see things differently and integrating the soul of a stone into the totality of the jewelry. I do think that windowed stones have thier own beauty. Sure, a precision cut stone brings out best light return and color, but there are other qualities that could be brought out too, like a restful stillness in a lighter color. They bring out different feelings other than the sparkle bomb. Who is to say what is really better?

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I actually think it's pretty. It's a nice even color. I like even color more than sparkles. It's a gem that's not in your face and/or blinding you. Maybe that's what they want? For me, the jewelry is 50% the setting. Even a gorgeous stone is kinda boring when it's set on its own with nothing but claws, imho. Not that I wouldn't drool at the stone itself. But the necklace as a whole is pretty nice, big windows or not. Totally my opinion though.

Could also be because most people want jewelry and big names and don't do their homework on quality and the companies know that and make maximum cash with cheap materials. I took a look at Tiffany's sapphire necklace and immediately walked away. Even if it was set in platinum and had diamonds, $3400 for a tiny sapphire darker than Diana's? I don't think so. But people buy Tiffany's just because they're big brand.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the upper and lower stones, you'll see that they echo each other. I'm going to say its very deliberate on their part. Not my cuppa tea and pretty darn gross, but deliberate. But hey thats art for you.

Maybe they'll name it "the window cut":lol-2: who knows.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Seaglow, if this is truly so, you have restored my faith in humanity :) but I remember so many OMG-what-terrible-cut in big brands adds or shop-windows. I will try and find other examples.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I never thought something like a window could be described as gross :o just weird choice of words for me.

I realized maybe they did it so that the depth wouldn't be so deep and end up facing any way other than forward when worn? A shallow culet would lay straight on the skin.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn’t someone link to a super trendy cutter recently who cuts stones with giant windows in them? Maybe giant windows are in style.

Agreed. I wonder if it is a trend...sone cutters are making windows deliberately and experimenting with gemstone shapes. Doesn't mean the trend will catch on, like when they tried to bring back miniskirts a few years ago and millennials were not having it. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: makes for conversation though which is maybe what they are after :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously someone is "unhappy"

Ok so I'll say this only once. Bvlgari is charging well over 6 figures for that necklace. If you (general you) love windowed stones, you will be in heaven, its going to be right up your alley. If I'm spending that much on a necklace I had better see nary a window.

They're using shallow stones, of non specific origin, and undetermined treatment (and that blue not paraiba lets be real). Damn straight I think thats gross.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Obviously someone is "unhappy"

Ok so I'll say this only once. Bvlgari is charging well over 6 figures for that necklace. If you (general you) love windowed stones, you will be in heaven, its going to be right up your alley. If I'm spending that much on a necklace I had better see nary a window.

They're using shallow stones, of non specific origin, and undetermined treatment (and that blue not paraiba lets be real). Damn straight I think thats gross.
Six figures?!! That’s insane for that piece, even if it’s Bvlgari.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I'm as "unhappy" as you were "annoyed" with me previously.

I don't LOVE windowed stones, and I didn't say I LOVE this necklace, just saying the necklace overall is nice even with windowed stones. It is insanely overpriced I would never pay such a ridiculous amount on an overrated brand.

I respect your and others' opinions of hating windows; I really don't care what others hate about stones. It was your choice of words I was commenting on. "Gross" was an odd choice as gross is something like say, a dirty floor. My choice would've been ugly or even "fugly".

I took linguistics in college so word choice and usage is something I notice.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those stones needed to be flat to fit in with that design, beautiful piece!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I wondered what PSers thought of black diamonds. I thought they were meh. Unless they're in the right setting and design then they're doable if cheap enough.

Companies gotta make money I guess *shrug*

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While this isn’t my taste, I do think it’s beautiful. I don’t mind windows and think they make perfect sense here Like art, there are jewels for every style/preference!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
While I generally don’t like windows, it comes together in this piece. You can see echoes of windows throughout the necklace. Agree with others that it makes sense here.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was never sold on chocolate diamonds, but miniskirts, well I love them, especially with leggings at my age!:razz: Hey, what the heck?

I did not think mini skirts were a no no. I just assumed whoever wears them, wears them. Like jeans!

Not a skirt wearer myself (easier to buy and entire dress and not worry about the top part) but this the first I've heard that minis are frowned upon.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks fine.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reckon if you had this kind of money you could buy windowed today, none windowed tomorrow. As long as it appealed to you, would you care that much?

Kinda like us mere mortals buying storage containers at the shops? I assume these peeps are RICH!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I reckon if you had this kind of money you could buy windowed today, none windowed tomorrow. As long as it appealed to you, would you care that much?

Kinda like us mere mortals buying storage containers at the shops? I assume these peeps are RICH!

Beauty is relative and so is wealth. Will you even think if you earn like this? ;)2

(From Forbes / Insider Inc.)

52472C78-0CF3-4198-8CA6-2AA725041961.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was planning on scooping up that necklace today, after I won the lottery, and posting it here. Alas, everyone will have to wait until next week...

Dibs on you donating your aqua ring to me next week when you win SQUILLIONS in the lotto!
:P2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a deal!! I get 600 million and you get my aqua! :appl:

*Does lotto dance for you*

My bestie (bless her) has a file saved of all the gems she will be buying me when she wins the Powerball. I think we are up to like 10 rings now! One of them is a pink diamond. I see something I like, I send it to her and she saves it. Cuz you never know........ :lol:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not think mini skirts were a no no. I just assumed whoever wears them, wears them. Like jeans!

Not a skirt wearer myself (easier to buy and entire dress and not worry about the top part) but this the first I've heard that minis are frowned upon.
I didn’t think minis were a no no either! I wear them mostly in the Fall and Winter, especially thicker material, patterned ones with texture. I have a black and white one which is great with leggings, a black sweater and boots or heels . It really feels fun in what sometimes feels like tiring cold weather clothing staples. Love wearing Tahitian pearls with this look.
I love dresses in summer!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
When I win the lottery, or start earning like Jeff Bezos, you can be sure your favorite vendors as well as others will be out of stock
icon_lol.gif
and I would buy that Bvlgari just for the hell of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results