shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash vs hpd

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys
I am replacing my BGD ring but the insurance wont replace for same specs. I am considering using WF or HPD and was wondering of they are quite honest in answering questions in relation to colour eg higher or lower end of a colour. Also the eye clean factor. I previously had a 3.2ct G SI1 eye clean but could see a black cyrstal easily. Now I am looking at H or I VS2/SI1 eye clean.
I was going to consider AV cushions or ovals but I dont see any large stones in my budget or specs on Johns site.
Thank you very any advise.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want any (larger than half carat) diamond I am purchasing to have a GIA or AGS cert so I know exactly what I am getting and not rely on what the vendor says the diamond color/clarity/cut grade is. Having said that all the vendors you mentioned above are trusted PS vendors and won't steer you wrong and should be able to tell you if a color is on the higher or lower end of the grade. But as always trust your eyes and do your due diligence and of course share any potential stones here for advice and comments and you will be sure to be OK.

As for Jonathan's site just call him and tell him your budget and see what he can do for you. Just because it isn't on his site doesn't mean he might not have something in the works. Doesn't hurt to ask and he is a super nice guy!

I had a stone once that was GIA VS2 and it had a visible inclusion. So really with VS2 (and definitely SI1) you need to be aware that yes it can have eye visible incisions. Need to see it for yourself or at least hear it is eye clean from one of our trusted vendors and even then eye clean can be subjective re how good is one's eyesight.

Sorry about the loss of your original BGD ring and hoping you find the replacement ring of your dreams.:appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to ask if you can see anything in the stone as close as say 3 to 6 inches. I know WF's distance is 10 inches but I know I would be looking
at my ring much closer than 10 inches on occasion and would want to know if someone with decent/good eyesight could see anything. Whiteflash is
honest with what they can see color/clarity but some things can be a little subjective. I believe, although a pain, WF and HPD have excellent return
policies so that if you dont like what you see you can return the stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are very trustworthy and will be honest. Remember that "eye clean" often means "cannot see inclusions with the naked eye at 10-12inches away". If that's not what you want, then be sure to tell vendors what your preferred definition of eye clean is, and they'll steer you in the right direction.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd stick with VS2 and higher since you weren't happy with your SI1 inclusions.

Buy the diamond, not the vendor. See who has diamonds that match the specs and budget you desire. Then I'd buy the one with the lowest price. All my modern rounds are from Whiteflash, so I do highly recommend then for honesty on color and clarity. When I have compared multiple stones, they will tell me which have higher color within the same color range. They generally have the most competitive pricing. Of course, HPD is a fine vendor, as well.

Be sure of what you love the most, though. If you'd rather have an AV stone, Jon can have one custom cut for you. You just have to set the parameters you would accept. AVRs are easier to cut consistently than cushions, I think, due to the cushions varying more in shape.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To ask the question, are insurance paying direct or paying cash-out to you?

If the latter, you could consider MMD options if size and colour and clarity are all important to you - there are some on the AV website if you would be interested.

WF and HPD are both honest in terms of assessing their stones, though - both stones would not be sold if the clarity presented any issues in terms of light performance, and CBI stones in particular are cut especially to minimise any visible inclusions.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would trust either one of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results