shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash Expert Selection ASET question

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BB552B94-FB99-499D-88D8-EE51FE19CB89.png D2606A21-6C4B-4070-9EE2-DF3D6A03D58C.png F8F5C4AD-E0E8-4181-977B-B76E9B3F1320.png 229F7D10-742A-4FC2-93AA-8A95ED5435CE.png

Regarding this WF Expert Selection. I’ve been reviewing the ASET and want to ask a question about the image. I see tiny blue areas on either side of the arrows in center and outer edges of stone. I see green areas at the edges of the diamond. I don’t see the classic “green star” around the table like an ACA. It doesn’t have crisp/clean patterning, it has a busy look to the ASET. The Idealscope image also seems a bit cluttered, but the image of the stone still looks “hearts and arrows”. Stone is AGS OOO with HCA ideal proportions.

In person, will this stone look busy and -not- “crisp H and A”? When looking for an Expert Selection stone, should I stick to those that resemble the classic ACA ASET patterning? In a stone that is much smaller than one carat should I look for crisper patterning or will it not make a difference? I’m looking for a tiny pendant stone.

I own a CBI and understand the benefits of perfect symmetry, it is glorious. So I don’t want to deviate too much from really great light performance and patterning. I’m looking at sub .5 carats, very high color, SI1 or lower clarity. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone nothing to worry about.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @Dancing Fire. No light leakage in that ES diamond.

To answer some of your questions the blue you see between the arrows is contrast. The red/green table reflection on the ASET is because the stone has some PA above 40.76 (red) and some below 47.5 (green). The green you see between the arrows along the edges is due to painting. You will find most super ideals including ACA will have some degree of painting. From a well respected vendor such as WF, HPD, BGD painting is used to ehance the light performance of a stone. The higher the degree of painting results in more brightness at the sacrifice of some scintillation.

See these links for a more detailed explanation.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/what-is-diamond-brillianteering-1616.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-di...n/aset---table-reflection-whiteflash-1420.htm

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Regarding Crbl999’s statement that the painting makes for a brighter stone at the expense of scintillation, in a pendant, is there any benefit to brilliance over scintillation(or vice versa)? I’m curious about what qualities make a pendant stone better...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AIUI, digging and painting can lead to an 'all-on, all-off' kind of stone if done in a certain way, which is the sort of look that is generally advised against in stepcuts. (I may be wrong on this, of course!)

I believe that good contrast patterns (i.e. dark areas and bright areas) make the bright areas look brighter. Serg's work is focused on trying to show and measure this, I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results