shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is the best from the 3? (Round cut diamond)

Manje

Rough_Rock

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A - Reject. 57 table, 62.5 depth, 35 crown, 41 pavilion & 75 LGF. Table is okay. Depth is pushing it. My heart ache is the combo of the steep 35 crown paired with a steep 41 pavilion. This isn't the most complimentary angle combo as you typically want to pair steep crown with a shallow pavilion, or vice versa so shallow crown with steep pavilion. In very well faceted stones this combo may work but advanced images will likely prove some light leakage. Looking at all factors together and not individually I'm not a fan, and think you can do better.

B - Reject. 58 table, 63.3 depth, 35 crown & 41.6 pavilion. Stone is too deep. Also the crown and pavilion angle is not complimentary. Not to mention a crown at 41.2 or larger and really bad stuff happens.

C - Best of the 3, and worth consideration. Small 55 table is desirable and will yield good fire. I am a little worried about the 35 crown/40.8 pavilion angle combo as I've seen lots of that combo leak light, etc in advanced imaging (ASET, idealscope, etc). Depth is acceptable at 62.3 but more than I typically like (prefer less than 62). The 75 LGF will provide some fat arrows that will throw bolder flashes which I also like. Overall, these specs fall within the ideal parameters we typically recommend but again I'd caution about the 35/40.8. If I were buying I'd want an ASET or idealscope image to confirm performance before pulling the trigger. Alternatively you could buy your own ASET scope and have the diamond shipped loose for.your inspection. If it passes, continue to setting. If not return and start over.

Are you stuck on BN and one of these 3? We may be able to find something better. What's your budget and requirements? Noticed these were around J color and VS2 clarity.

Manje

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you so much for going in to such great detail. I really appreciate the time you've taken to look at these.

Yes to BN but no to just these 3, others are fine too. My overall budget is about 2800usd for both the setting and rock.

The setting I'm going with for now is just short of $1400. Leaving me with about $1400 for the diamond. At most I could stretch it to another 50-80bucks. These next few months are very expensive for me so my budget is a bit tighter than usual.

Once again, thanks for the advice!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a plain solitaire for the presentation/proposal so you could increase the portion of your budget going toward the diamond? In a couple years - or after you get married - you can both pick or design a reset setting. ? Just a thought.

Manje

Rough_Rock
Considered it but I really want her birthstone built in to the setting so I can't budge on that!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considered it but I really want her birthstone built in to the setting so I can't budge on that!
Can you show us the setting you are considering?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you so much for going in to such great detail. I really appreciate the time you've taken to look at these.

Yes to BN but no to just these 3, others are fine too. My overall budget is about 2800usd for both the setting and rock.

The setting I'm going with for now is just short of $1400. Leaving me with about $1400 for the diamond. At most I could stretch it to another 50-80bucks. These next few months are very expensive for me so my budget is a bit tighter than usual.

You're very welcome. Glad it helped.

A final question. I noticed on your initial links you have shipment to Japan with Yen as the currency. Is this correct? Only asking as inventory varies slightly for different destinations.

Assuming Japan is correct, is a J color acceptable? Only asking as I've helped many Asians with a preference for much higher color due to cultural reasons.

I personally have no qualms with J as long as it fits your needs and expectations, just making sure we properly help you.

Manje

Rough_Rock
Can you show us the setting you are considering?

Yes of course.

This is the one. https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/buil...ing_70850?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

I want to include her birthstone in the setting, hence the blue sapphires. There are other sapphire settings on the site too.

https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/build-your-own-ring/settings?track=NavEngStartWithSet

You're very welcome. Glad it helped.

A final question. I noticed on your initial links you have shipment to Japan with Yen as the currency. Is this correct? Only asking as inventory varies slightly for different destinations.

Assuming Japan is correct, is a J color acceptable? Only asking as I've helped many Asians with a preference for much higher color due to cultural reasons.

I personally have no qualms with J as long as it fits your needs and expectations, just making sure we properly help you.

Good questions. She’s American but we both live in Japan for now so I’ll get it shipped here.

This will be her first diamond so she’s unlikely to catch on to any yellow glimmer a J might give. I think a J meets the expectation given the budget constraint.

I’ll be paying for this in British pounds, so I’ll need to choose between Yen or USD as they don’t offer GBP.

Manje

Rough_Rock
Thanks all.

I’ll be purchasing the final product in a few days time so more suggestions are welcome!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

This is super personal, so I’m not sure if I should comment on it ... I apologize in advance because this is none of my business ... but since you mentioned it ....

Are you in a hurry? I mean, engagement and marriage are long-term ... must you buy the ring when your budget is a bit tighter than usual? If I was your fiancée, I would prefer to wait ... in theory it’s a ring to wear for a lifetime ... I know that $1400 is a lot on a budget but it’s not that much for a diamond ... I hope you at least consider buying from a vendor with a great trade-up policy .... o_O

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would strongly suggest buying from a vendor with a good upgrade policy, especially if she might upgrade in the future. I'm worried that you'll spend over half your budget on the setting, and then not be able to re-use the setting if she upgrades to a larger stone.

Manje

Rough_Rock
This is super personal, so I’m not sure if I should comment on it ... I apologize in advance because this is none of my business ... but since you mentioned it ....

Are you in a hurry? I mean, engagement and marriage are long-term ... must you buy the ring when your budget is a bit tighter than usual? If I was your fiancée, I would prefer to wait ... in theory it’s a ring to wear for a lifetime ... I know that $1400 is a lot on a budget but it’s not that much for a diamond ... I hope you at least consider buying from a vendor with a great trade-up policy .... o_O

Hmm a little due to several reasons.

Firstly I wanted to propose to her during the cherry blossom season in Japan. Which gives me til mid April.

Secondly we’re both from different counties (UK and the USA) and are both only contracted here til August. Beyond August we’ll be living apart for a few months until we sort out a Visa. It’ll be nice to be engaged before then.

Unfortunately she saw a glimpse of ring settings on my phone so it won’t be a total surprise! :(

Manje

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot of the recommendations.

We haven’t talked about it as she’d prefer it if I made the selection. The only involvement she’s had is figuring out her ring size haha.

Thanks for the Bluenile altneratives too, I’ve struggled to find affordable sapphire settings.

If anyone else has any input towards a good diamond or more settings I’d appreciate it. It’s all food for thought.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, since you asked. I'd much rather have a larger, very well cut stone with a company with a great trade in policy. She might never want to trade but in ten years and in different financial circumstances, she might. I'd choose a stone like this in a simple setting and consider sapphires in a wedding band later on down the road. She might not want the birthstones in her wedding set so I'd hate for you to commit to that in an engagement ring that cost as much as the diamond in that case. Again, just food for thought but since you are considering a ring outside of the typical engagement ring, discuss it with her before you buy. We've seen many lovestruck young women here who ended up not very happy with their ring. They might have thought they wanted to be surprised or have him pick out the ring on his own - until he did. This is in no way meant to be critical of you as it seems you have put some considerate thoughtfulness in what you are choosing. Sometimes it just doesn't work out quite the way it was intended. . .

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4095767.htm?source=pricescope

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just don't like your setting choices and feel like sapphire sidestones are super specific and not a good choice without being explicitly requested. There's a Hint Button on bluenile for a reason. You'll notice sapphire center stones are MUCH more popular everywhere but I understand you're fixated.

Please consider a plain white gold or platinum solitaire- timeless and elegant, easy to coordinate with sapphire band(s). My favourites (sorry links don't work) from Blue Nile for a stone in your diamond budget:
48875 Petite Nouveau Four Prong Solitaire Engagement Ring
19010 Petite Solitaire Engagement Ring
25663 Petite Cathedral Solitaire Engagement Ring

The last one is my favourite, even in platinum you can get a nice size stone for her. Just please consider asking her to use the 'hint' button before getting such an expensive setting.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with everyone above, especially regarding the sapphire side stones. Sapphires are also my fiancée's birthstone, and they are my favorite gem as well (sorry diamonds :P2), so I totally get the desire to incorporate sapphires into the E-ring setting. But sapphires, while certainly versatile, are not as versatile as diamonds. Combine that with the very good point raised by @lovedogs that, if she wants to upgrade in the future to a larger/higher-color stone (a very likely possibility), it is VERY likely that a setting with side stones would be unable to be reused, meaning you would be out almost $1.5k in that setting. I like the idea of getting a fairly inexpensive solitaire and then getting a 3/4 eternity with sapphires for the wedding band. You get the best of both worlds in this scenario. She gets a ring with her birthstone and also a timeless E-ring that will be easy to exchange stones in the future.

Also, this line "This will be her first diamond so she’s unlikely to catch on to any yellow glimmer a J might give" caught my eye. Please do not assume this. Color sensitivity and/or preferences are not really determined by how experienced people are with diamonds. I know that, prior to purchasing my fiancée's E-ring, neither of us had really seen many diamonds before. And both of us can easily see the color in an H, and prefer higher colored stones as a result. Not saying this will necessarily apply to your girlfriend, but I would highly recommend stopping by a jewelry shop with her to figure out what color grade(s) she prefers.

You already said that she caught you looking a settings. Since the surprise is already kind of blown, you really have nothing to lose (and A LOT to gain) by taking her to a jewelry store to figure out what kind of diamond and setting she would prefer. You can still pick in out by yourself if that is what she wants (my fiancée also wanted me to pick out the final diamond and ring) but you won't be going into this selection completely blind. Remember, she is the one who needs to wear this ring, so it's best to make the choice based on what she actually wants, not what you assume she wants.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apologize I haven't been more responsive. Between work and the fiancee having me do honey do's for our own wedding (mid April), my free time is quite limited.

I would also echo caution about a specific and unique setting that she hasn't explicitly told you she desires. My fiancee has a very unique setting but because she found an inspiration piece she loved that I used as the basis of design for her.

Given the limited budget I think a plain solitaire is a good way to get the most bang for your buck and allow you some flexibility. I'm also a fan of sapphires and think such a setting would look great next to this band that would add the sapphires.

https://www.bluenile.com/riviera-sa...h2vQAObEAQYByABEgLMNvD_BwE&click_id=823539687

The added benefit is you can max your budget now for the e-ring and save up for the band after an actual date is set.

Manje

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. You guys have opened my eyes quite a bit!

For now I'm going to reassess my options and focus on a higher quality diamond for whatever setting I end up choosing. I'm also going to visit some jewelers so I can get a feel for more classic settings. So I don't remain too fixated on this sapphire setting.

I'll check back on this forum again so if you guys find any more suggestions feel free to post them!

Thanks a bunch.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you aren't able to get to a jewelry store with her and you don't have any other way of figuring out what setting she likes, then I would put all of the money into the diamond to maximize size in H+ color (definitely wouldn't drop below an H if you don't know her preferences. IMO buying a J without know her color tolerance is risky) and just go with the cheapest setting in the metal color she likes. It's pretty difficult to know exactly what kind of setting a woman would like if you're going in blind, and it would be a shame to put a lot of money into an expensive halo only to find out that she doesn't like halos. Solitaires are pretty universal, so while it might not be her favorite, I don't think she would despise it. Certainly would be something she could wear short term, and then you could pick out a setting together in the next year or two after the proposal.

Yadav also ships internationally and has quite a few cheap settings. This is a great diamond:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-0.73-carat-h-vs2-yd5467961
More pictures here:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R73-571Z89476?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a little more time to look for stones.

0.70ct J VS1 @ $1,932
https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/diamond-details/LD11994797

56 table, 62 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. Has medium blue fluorescence (MBF). HCA score of 0.9. Measures out to 5.66 x 5.69.

Great proportions. Medium sized table with steep crown angle and very complimentary shallow pavilion angle. The 75 LGF will produce some chunky arrows and bold rainbow flashes. Overall, this will be a firey stone.

Honestly, VS1 is overkill on clarity for a stone this size but it fits budget. I'm still a little concerned about color. As pointed out by others, J is not just a give me safe zone. But it's also true that smaller stones show less color than larger stones. This happens because color is observed through the side (or pavilion) of the diamond, and the smaller the stone, the smaller the pavilion available to reveal color.

The other concern is the MBF. The majority of the time it's a non-issue, but you always need to clarify if it has an effect on clarity (in rare cases can cause a milky/hazy appearance under certain light conditions). Also, some people have an issue with it. Others love it. I'm in the camp that as long as it's not a clarity issue, and I'm getting a discount (as stones with medium+ levels of fluor trade slightly cheaper) then I'm okay with it.

WF ACA 0.634ct J SI1 @ $1,759
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4027047.htm

55.7 table, 61.3 depth, 34.4 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 77 LGF. HCA score of 0.8. Measures 5.52 x 5.55.

This particular stone is a true hearts & arrow (H&A) stone, and graded by AGS as Ideal 0 cut. This stone has more precise faceting than the other stones you've been looking at. This is proven by the advanced ASET, idealscope and H&A images. Short version, it's going to be a freakin' fireball of a stunner!

Not only a great price, but measures nearly the same as the larger 0.70ct stone so there will be no visible difference to the naked eye. Also, with WF, you have a LIFETIME upgrade program that gives you full credit of the original stone towards the value of a new stone of $1 or greater value. This ensures if color or size desires change over time, you have a built in guarantee for upgrades. Given the fact it's within your budget, I think it's a no brainer personally.

Also, read the forum and you will see that WF has top notch customer service and they ship internationally as well. ;)2

WF ACA 0.664ct J SI1 @ $1,822
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094449.htm

56.3 table, 61.9 depth, 34.7 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 76 LGF. HCA score of 1.3. Measures 5.57 x 5.59.

Many of the same comments apply. Look at the video -- another fireball of awesomeness! Much of the same comments apply here as the other WF ACA. A true H&A ideal cut stone with superior upgrade program and all the right proportions.

While the differences are minute to most, I prefer the 76 LGF's on this stone and think it has a smidge more pop in the magnified video. In real life, you likely will never notice a difference in performance.

Again, zero hesitations here. If I were in your shoes, I'd be buying one of these WF stones, assuming the J color is good.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might add I had time to go back and look at your original setting you picked. As others noted, halos are something very personal to the wearer. You need to hack her Instagram or do something similar to see if she has any "dream" rings. Possibly check with her sister, mom and/or best friend. If she knows the proposal is coming, simply ask and don't guess.

The setting you picked is a double halo with the inner halo being sapphires and the outer halo being diamonds.

The advantage to any halo ring is that you get more finger coverage than a simple solitaire setting. I'm not sure the edge to edge MM dimensions of the double halo ring from BN, but I doubt your budget will support getting a stone that will equal the same dimensions.

Of course, if she ends up hating halos it's all for nothing. But if she loves them, then it's a cheaper way to get finger coverage.

Please note if you go with WF, they can also do custom settings. Here are a few I found. You would need to talk to them directly about specific options & pricing but they can likely swap out to sapphires on one of the halos.

https://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/...double-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-27001.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/...-double-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-7201.htm

If you wanted to do an upgraded solitaire look, what about something like this? I'd ask WF to convert to a 6 prong (instead of 4 as shown) but I like how it has the diamonds on the side. You could change that out to be all sapphires, or possible alternating diamond/sapphire. That way you get the creativity without it being a WHAM in your face statement but still very personal to her.

Also, only $849. =)2

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...f-surprises-solitaire-engagement-ring-477.htm

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not only a great price, but measures nearly the same as the larger 0.70ct stone so there will be no visible difference to the naked eye. Also, with WF, you have a LIFETIME upgrade program that gives you full credit of the original stone towards the value of a new stone of $1 or greater value. This ensures if color or size desires change over time, you have a built in guarantee for upgrades. Given the fact it's within your budget, I think it's a no brainer personally.

First off, it's exactly a .2mm size difference. That's a pretty large difference in a smaller stone, and side by side, would most likely be visible in a solitaire setting. Second, BN also has a LIFETIME upgrade program if the upgrade diamond is 2X the cost. After about .7 carat prices start going up pretty significantly from there, so if you wanted to go up from say a .7 carat to a .9-1 carat in the future, it would be at least 2X the cost anyway. So I really don't think that WF is a no-brainer in this case, especially since the BN stone also has all of the "advanced" ASET, H&A, IdealScope images found on enchanted diamonds which look very nice.

Finally, I'm not sure why J stones are still being recommended. It's really not wise to be going this low in color without knowing the recipients preferences. And sure, the stone could be upgraded next year or something, but IMO it's best to get something that the recipient will be happy with from the get-go. It's not really fun for the recipient to look at their ring and go "Oh, it's... yellow" the day after the proposal. With a GIA H color, I think it would at least be a safe enough color in this size stone that, if the recipient noticed it at all, it would just be a minor tint. Depending on how color sensitive the individual is, J's can look quite tinted.

If @Manje did want to go with WF for some reason (even though he already said he prefers BN) then something like this would be a safer choice:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094444.htm

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide to do a solitaire setting, you can either do a semi-custom ring or maybe find one existing where it has inverse taper. Meaning the shaft of the ring gets smaller as it approaches the diamond. Visually this provides the illusion the stone is bigger.

Something similar to this:

InkedFull-of-Surprises-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-White-Gold_gi_1423_3-32572_LI.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually didn’t have a problem with the first setting OP selected. It will provide a great finger coverage. Also don’t have a problem with J color, especially in the 0.6ct size range, next to a sapphire halo and considering the overall price range.
Although, I really like the stone @TreeScientist found: https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/diamond-details/LD11982248
It is a beauty and BN price matches, so you can show them the lowest comp. If you decide to go the solitaire route, a solitaire setting can always be upgraded should your SO want something more elaborate in the future. Another simple way to incorporate her birthstone as part of the ring will be to ask either BN or a local jeweler to place a small sapphire on the inside of the shank, similar to this:
770866F1-5617-4273-80A3-3623E10A9993.jpeg
Also, in this particular case, I would stick to BN for the diamond. As already indicsted, BN also provides an upgrade policy and you will be able to get a larger/whiter stone through them vs going through one of the super-ideal vendors.
Lastly, 99% of my friends would never upgrade their diamond, so while upgrade options are good to have, they might be completely irrelevant for you and your SO.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually didn’t have a problem with the first setting OP selected. It will provide a great finger coverage. Also don’t have a problem with J color, especially in the 0.6ct size range, next to a sapphire halo and considering the overall price range.
Although, I really like the stone @TreeScientist found: https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/diamond-details/LD11982248
It is a beauty and BN price matches, so you can show them the lowest comp. If you decide to go the solitaire route, a solitaire setting can always be upgraded should your SO want something more elaborate in the future. Another simple way to incorporate her birthstone as part of the ring will be to ask either BN or a local jeweler to place a small sapphire on the inside of the shank, similar to this:
770866F1-5617-4273-80A3-3623E10A9993.jpeg
Also, in this particular case, I would stick to BN for the diamond. As already indicsted, BN also provides an upgrade policy and you will be able to get a larger/whiter stone through them vs going through one of the super-ideal vendors.
Lastly, 99% of my friends would never upgrade their diamond, so while upgrade options are good to have, them might be completely irrelevant for you and your SO.

I agree that J color is likely fine in this case given that color shows less in smaller stones (under 1ct)--especially if OP gets a well cut stone. I still vote for a solitaire in this case so that the diamond can be the "star" of the show. I think either a sapphire band, or this idea of having one inside the shank is perfect.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that J color is likely fine in this case given that color shows less in smaller stones (under 1ct)--especially if OP gets a well cut stone. I still vote for a solitaire in this case so that the diamond can be the "star" of the show. I think either a sapphire band, or this idea of having one inside the shank is perfect.

Yeah, to me, the solitaire is a good idea purely from the "sunk cost" standpoint. I wouldn't want to put more than $200-300 into a setting if I didn't know the recipient's preferences. Halos and side stone rings are definitely devisive. Some women like them and some women don't. This is especially true with colored stone halos. Definitely an acquired taste.

If it turns out that his girlfriend loves halos after he proposes with a solitaire, then great. They can design a great custom Halo together and incorporate all of the details that she wants (maybe even a sapphire Halo :roll2:) and they can put a cheap CZ into the solitaire to use as a secondary/travel ring (most jewelers will do this free of charge if you're buying the upgrade setting from them).

But if he spends over $1k on a halo, or even close to $1k on a more expensive solitaire, and it turns out that she wants something different, then that's quite a large sunk cost to be spending on something that will only be used as a travel ring...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, to me, the solitaire is a good idea purely from the "sunk cost" standpoint. I wouldn't want to put more than $200-300 into a setting if I didn't know the recipient's preferences. Halos and side stone rings are definitely decisive. Some women like them and some women don't. This is especially true with colored stone halos. Definitely an acquired taste.

If it turns out that his girlfriend loves halos after he proposes with a solitaire, then great. They can design a great custom Halo together and incorporate all of the details that she wants (maybe even a sapphire Halo :roll2:) and they can put a cheap CZ into the solitaire to use as a secondary/travel ring (most jewelers will do this free of charge if you're buying the upgrade setting from them).

But if he spends over $1k on a halo, or even close to $1k on a more expensive solitaire, and it turns out that she wants something different, then that's quite a large sunk cost to be spending on something that will only be used as a travel ring...
Yup, 100% this. I think if a ring is going to be a surprise (which I never recommend bc I think it's a bad idea), then it needs to be a solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results