shape
carat
color
clarity

Which OEC?

Elska

Rough_Rock
Hi! My boyfriend and I recently started looking for a center stone for an engagement ring. I've decided on looking for a smaller OEC for my stone and found two diamonds - one from Ivy & Rose/MyDiamondZone and one from Grace. I'm new to all of this, so any opinions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

il_fullxfull.1270289615_1stw.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/listing/537772635/067-carat-gia-certified-i-color-vs2
• Carat Weight: .67
• Color: I
• Clarity: VS2
• Measure: 5.26-5.44 x 3.75 mm
• Cert: GIA
• Depth: 70.1%
• Table: 49%
• Polish: Good
• Symmetry: Fair
• Girdle: Very thin to very thick, 5.0%
• Flourescence: None
• Culet: None
• Price: $1,375.00

62ct Old European Cut Diamond GIA I VS22-X2.jpg
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/62ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs2
• Carat Weight: .62
• Color: I
• Clarity: VS2
• Measure: 5.35-5.40 x 3.35 mm
• Cert: GIA
• Depth: 62.2%
• Table: 48%
• Polish: Good
• Symmetry: Fair
• Girdle: Very thin to very thick
• Flourescence: Medium blue
• Culet: Very large
• Price: $1,775.00

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the one grace has has better symmetry, and less depth, but still a small table. Looks a little windowy thru the pavilion. I love the big culet.

The one from ivy/Ilya/MDZ has a nice look from the one image. Seems a little deep, slightly less symmetrical, and has a pointed culet. Nice high crown (per Gia).

Both have very thin to very thick girdle.

Can you get Ilya to send a video of the .67 stone? It's hard to compare to the .62 where there are many pics and video.

Elska

Rough_Rock
@ringo865 Thanks for the reply. I thought I had included the link just below the picture, but perhaps it didn't go through. Anyways here is the link again:

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

The one from Grace seems to have a flower pattern and the one from Diamond Zone looks as though it has more of a "pinwheel" pattern. Just my observation, as I am certainly no expert.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One vote for the open culet.

-
I do not have rules for such stones. If I had, the two 'painted' patches along the relatively flat sides of the culet-less diamond, would make me go for the other stone. Tomorrow - I might like those ! (NO Rules)

Last edited:

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Just on those pics I prefer Grace's stone.

I would also contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and see if he has anything of interest.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's quite a price difference, and frankly you can't convince me that the 2nd stone is worth 1/3 more than the first.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me or are Grace's prices kind of high? Sometimes I look at OEC's on her page and compared to others, it's just crazy how much more her stones cost. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure if I am, someone will let me know. LOL!

I see a sort of windowing in the JBG stone in the video. For me, I prefer Ilya's stone.

Elska

Rough_Rock
That's quite a price difference, and frankly you can't convince me that the 2nd stone is worth 1/3 more than the first.

@doberman, I didn't mention it in the original post, but I was wondering about that! I wasn't sure if there was something spectacular about Grace's that made it worth the extra money.

I was also wondering if anyone was able to see the video of Ilya's stone and can comment on the light performance.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Video- it's the stone on the left..

Elska

Rough_Rock
@soxfan & @msop04 - Ilya just replied and said that he feels the .67 is a more lively stone and that he thinks we would be very happy with it. At this point, does it just come down to preference, especially since the price difference is much smaller than with Grace's?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer both of Ilya's over Graces...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@soxfan & @msop04 - Ilya just replied and said that he feels the .67 is a more lively stone and that he thinks we would be very happy with it. At this point, does it just come down to preference, especially since the price difference is much smaller than with Grace's?

Then I'd go with the 0.67 from Ilya. :)

Elska

Rough_Rock
Then I'd go with the 0.67 from Ilya. :)
Thank you! I think it's a nice stone :) Judging from the lack of comments on the price, I can say it is a fair price, yes?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely go with the .67 stone.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@soxfan i was wondering whether JBGs stone was windowy … or shallow, or what, but yah.

@Elska Ilya has a good return policy so if you get it and it's not amazing, send it on back!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you afford to get both stones or put one on a credit card - one from each vendor and compare them in person and return the one you like the least..... THAT is the only way you will tell which one your eyes prefer, people all have different preferences for what they like in old cuts IMHO. I for example prefer the more traditional flower pattern of the stone from Grace to the others, and I think in a stone that size you are going to notice the cut pattern in it a lot more than the other stones.

Last edited:

Elska

Rough_Rock
Late response, but better late than never :lol:
Haven't bought a diamond yet, but have gone to a jeweler regarding the setting. The one OEC she had was on a ring for consignment. It was very pretty, but it wasn't certified.

While I did notice the window-ish look of Grace's stone before, it seems more apparent now. On the other hand, I like Ilya's stone, but it is cut quite deep and I'm not sure if it significantly impacting the light performance in the video. Also, since it is graded as a round brilliant instead of an OEC, should I not be too worried about the fair cut grade it received?

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
I just now am reading this thread and I'm so glad, I am looking at some stones on Ivy & Rose, never heard of them but they do have some nice things and much better prices. Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old thread

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results