shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy 14 karat gold chain on a budget?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi everybody,

I am trying to purchase a yellow gold chain for a friend as a gift, on a budget of 100 USD.

She has allergic reactions to nickel and I don't want to risk 9 karat gold in case she reacts to it. I've checked all the mall stores here and they only sell 9 karat.
I've had a look on etsy but am struggling to navigate the millions of listings and it's hard to tell what's real gold and what's plated, etc.

Does anyone know where I can buy a 14 karat yellow gold chain, preferably 18 inches long?

Thanks!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pre loved on eBay. Pre loved Chains are mostly gold melt value so for $100 you won’t get much of a chain.
just an aside, yellow gold 9ct will be fine, it has no nickel, it has silver and copper as the other metals. I have an extreme nickel allergy and can wear 9ct gold. I avoid white gold. White gold and especially anything plated needs to be avoided. They do use nickel with white metals.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Check out James Allen and Blue Nile. They have some Valentine's Day sales going on right now. Also check out Costco!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Pre loved on eBay. Pre loved Chains are mostly gold melt value so for $100 you won’t get much of a chain.
just an aside, yellow gold 9ct will be fine, it has no nickel, it has silver and copper as the other metals. I have an extreme nickel allergy and can wear 9ct gold. I avoid white gold. White gold and especially anything plated needs to be avoided. They do use nickel with white metals.

Bron, Its late and I'm a tired lady but it seems like you are saying that its hard to find 14k yellow gold chains that are 18inches for under $100 as that is basically gold melt value?

Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm constantly seeing the described chains for $50-100 on ebay?!

Just to note, I dont mean huge chunky elaborate ones nor do I mean tiny tiny thin barely there necklaces, but your average go-with-90%-of-gold pendant chains: I see them all the time there for cheap!

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm constantly seeing the described chains for $50-100 on ebay?!

Would you be able to link me to one or two?
I did a search and found a whole load that looked promising but they were all from JewelryPot and a quick search on here brought up a thread of terrible reviews of them!

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
just an aside, yellow gold 9ct will be fine, it has no nickel, it has silver and copper as the other metals. I have an extreme nickel allergy and can wear 9ct gold.
Do you really think so?
If she could wear 9k it would make my life so much easier. I knew white gold was the one famous (or infamous) for having nickel but when I googled about yellow gold the results basically said to also avoid 9k yellow.
Do you think she'd be ok though?
She also reacts to base metal in things like belt buckles and gets a big rash.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my finger after wearing a ring that had nickel in it, just overnight! 5F72537A-FBCA-46D4-A72D-367469DD4C1A.jpeg
I can wear 9ct yellow gold but most of my necklaces are 14kt or 18kt and I avoid white gold necklaces. If you are concerned, go with 14kt.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently purchased a wedding band of Sarraf, it hasn’t shipped yet so I can’t tell you about the quality.
They have 10ct gold chains available and there is a discount code for 10% off and free shipping for over $100US spent. I’m not sure what style of chain you are after, but there’s a few style that would be around the $100 mark with the discount.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, each person's metal sensitivity and allergy is different. 14kt gold gives me a burning sensation for earrings. I have to go with 18kt yellow gold or platinum.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're open to buying from RubyLane, I've bought from the shop MBarr probably a half dozen times - the items are accurately described and photographed, and the once or twice I've returned something I've received a refund quickly. MBarr has a lot of 14kt yellow gold chain below $100, some below $50 - I'd encourage you to try to find a chain of at least 1 gram weight if possible, for durability.

https://www.rubylane.com/shop/curiouscabinet/ilist/?sort=pricelow&q=14K+chain&sb=1

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're open to buying from RubyLane, I've bought from the shop MBarr probably a half dozen times - the items are accurately described and photographed, and the once or twice I've returned something I've received a refund quickly. MBarr has a lot of 14kt yellow gold chain below $100, some below $50 - I'd encourage you to try to find a chain of at least 1 gram weight if possible, for durability.

https://www.rubylane.com/shop/curiouscabinet/ilist/?sort=pricelow&q=14K+chain&sb=1

I have also bought from MBarr twice and have had very good experiences with her both times.

thornygravy

Rough_Rock
jacoje.com only sells 14k and up..

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
I was just looking for a chain for my mom's Christmas pendant and found this thread. Thank you all for your recommendations! I ordered from sarraf.com. I'll try to remember to review when it comes in :)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Goodwill shop website always has donated gold chains up for auction. They usually sell for a tad over spot gold price adjusted for the karat purity.

Here's a LINK including the appropriate search terms.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The Goodwill shop website always has donated gold chains up for auction. They usually sell for a tad over spot gold price adjusted for the karat purity.

Here's a LINK including the appropriate search terms.

I have bought two online from Goodwill with reasonable pricing.

Reactions: prs

Millennialjewel

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everybody,

I am trying to purchase a yellow gold chain for a friend as a gift, on a budget of 100 USD.

She has allergic reactions to nickel and I don't want to risk 9 karat gold in case she reacts to it. I've checked all the mall stores here and they only sell 9 karat.
I've had a look on etsy but am struggling to navigate the millions of listings and it's hard to tell what's real gold and what's plated, etc.

Does anyone know where I can buy a 14 karat yellow gold chain, preferably 18 inches long?

Thanks!

Check your local pawn shops or possibly try a coin shop

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results