shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I order Gluten-free cannolis ... anyone?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might anyone know of a bakery that makes & ships gluten-free cannolis? I would try making them, but I don’t know enough about GF baking, and don’t want to take the risk of messing something up and making my friend sick. I am thinking there has to be a place that makes & ships them. Cost isn’t an issue ... just want good quality GF cannolis as a thank you gift for her. I am thinking the New Yorkers and surrounding new Englanders on here might know of a great bakery that offers them.

Alternatively, if I can’t find somewhere that does this, might anyone have a GF recipe & experience making them? I am willing to try if all else fails and I have a ‘fool-proof’ recipe I can follow. But I know zilch about GF cooking/baking, so ... kinda scares me since it’s a health risk.

Thanks in advance! :wavey:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see your intentions are coming from a good hearted place. But I would think twice about baking GF for someone that it would be a true health risk. The recipient (if severely reactive) probably would accept your gift, but not end up eating them if you weren't truly experienced in this area.
Forgive me if you already know this- but if this is the case it's is more involved than just using all certified gluten free/GF pkg facility ingredients. It involves your whole kitchen /storage environment as well.
If it were me- I would straight up ask them before I attempted.
Best of luck

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see your intentions are coming from a good hearted place. But I would think twice about baking GF for someone that it would be a true health risk. The recipient (if severely reactive) probably would accept your gift, but not end up eating them if you weren't truly experienced in this area.
Forgive me if you already know this- but if this is the case it's is more involved than just using all certified gluten free/GF pkg facility ingredients. It involves your whole kitchen /storage environment as well.
If it were me- I would straight up ask them before I attempted.
Best of luck

Thank you, I’m so glad you said that (bolded part) because I would not have known that ... which just reinforces my first thought that I should not attempt to make these for her, as much as I would love to because I love to cook and bake. The only allergy we have in our household is the kids with peanuts.

Hopefully someone will come through with a good place to order them ready-made that I can have delivered to her.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came across this site while searching for gluten free cannolis. These places are all in Connecticut and I don't know if they offer shipping, you would have to inquire. However I did notice several have dedicated gluten free kitchens. I don't know what area you are in but you might want to try searching on the Find Me Gluten Free site or app and you will probably find somewhere close that has a dedicated gluten free kitchen. I would maybe try finding a bakery that offers gluten free in a safe kitchen close to the recipient because a lot of bakeries will deliver within a certain proximity:

https://www.findmeglutenfree.com/us/ct/newington/bakeries

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But then again- depending on the recipients sensitivity level -
I'd ask them about needing a certified bakery and what certification the bakery you choose provides. Negates any suprise for the recipient - but worthwhile I think.

Disclaimer- I did no thorough research on the etsy baker link I attached earlier.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But then again- depending on the recipients sensitivity level -
I'd ask them about needing a certified bakery and what certification the bakery you choose provides. Negates any suprise for the recipient - but worthwhile I think.

Disclaimer- I did no thorough research on the etsy baker link I attached earlier.
I will check with her to see about her sensitivity level, thank you for that suggestion.

I looked at that Etsy baker, and that may be an option to pursue. But her shipping says 4-6 weeks to receive the order, and I’d rather not wait that long since it’s a thank-you gift.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should also know that GF baking of certain things just isn't worth it. Cakes, cupcakes, cookies are usually fine. But some other things are awful. Either too dry, or too heavy and/or spongy.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should also know that GF baking of certain things just isn't worth it. Cakes, cupcakes, cookies are usually fine. But some other things are awful. Either too dry, or too heavy and/or spongy.

I have heard that. But I think she may have had them somewhere at some point. I mentioned to her in passing that our neighbor owns/operates a cannoli food truck, and she got so excited asking if they made GF ones. They don’t, but she went on & on about wanting some so bad that I thought I may try to find some for her as a ‘thank you’ since I wanted to give her something I know she’d love.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had a neighbor with a cannoli truck and maybe another with a wine mobile, no reason to ever leave my house :P2

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would order her a gluten free cannoli KIT that would come packaged for her to put together in her own home.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had a neighbor with a cannoli truck and maybe another with a wine mobile, no reason to ever leave my house :P2
We have more wine than we can drink, and I work from home, so it’s perfect! :dance:

I would order her a gluten free cannoli KIT that would come packaged for her to put together in her own home.

That’s a great idea except she hates to bake. I asked her when the subject came up if she ever thought of just making them herself. That’s why I thought I could find some pre-made to have shipped to her. Like maybe a box of them that she could keep in the freezer and just have one when she wants one. I didn’t think it would be this hard to find them, though. I would have thought - in this day & age of internet shopping and gourmet offerings - someone would have them available, albeit for a premium considering the GF and shipping. :wall:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some things just can't be reproduced properly with GF restrictions. A professional bakery would definitely be the best bet if you can find one. It really sucks not being able to have the one thing you might be craving. My daughter is celiac.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from searching for a local gf bakery- and
Going back to knowing just how gluten sensitive they are:
IMG_0961.JPG
These are available from amazon and Walmart.com.
The filling is easily made gluten free. Just watch your powdered sugar.
Remember to drain your ricotta in the fridge for a couple of days if you don't get the pre-drained kind (inpastata) kind. And don't overmix. That's what gets it runny. A bit of Cinnamon is popular, but a tiny bit of cinnamon oil is more traditional. But that then depends on your traditions. As with mini chocolate chips/pistachios, Flori di sicilia and candied citron.
Best wishes.

Now I want one!

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 113

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The kit may be my best bet, and let her assemble them so as to minimize the contamination aspect.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and suggestions; thanks so much! :wavey:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would love to find a good substitute to my favorite desserts. This being one of them. I used to check out the dessert menu and decide on that first. Lol. I have allergies that have gone from sensitivities to being pretty significant. I have to go GF but I have a slew of other allergies. It took a while to learn what was safe and what wasn't.

The main offenders:
Wheat
Corn
Coffee
Chocolate
Casein
Egg White
Yeast
Tomato
All shell fish
Cod/white fish
Mussels and clams
Soy
Peanuts

Definitely check to see how gluten sensitive she is because a lot of times there are many other allergens involved when there is a gluten allergy. Good luck :).

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HS4S_2 I am so gluten-ignorant ... I thought it was limited to just breads, pastries & pastas. Thanks for sharing that list because I’d have never thought some of those would contain gluten. I think I would die because I can never given up my coffee! :eek2:

Lola's are the gluten-free cannoli shells that one of my sisters-in-law (Italian-American who grew up Boston) thinks are best; Lola's also supplies these to some of the bakeries and restaurants in Boston's North End:
http://www.glutenfreecannolishells.com/

Thanks so much! I will check these out and maybe order from there. It’s great knowing there is someone who can attest to them. :wavey:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those items are what I am allergic too. It started with gluten. Many people, but not all, that have gluten sensitivities have others as well. She may not be as sensitive as I am. It is good to ask because you never know. I didn't know much about gluten allergy either until I had to figure it out :)).
@HS4S_2 I am so gluten-ignorant ... I thought it was limited to just breads, pastries & pastas. Thanks for sharing that list because I’d have never thought some of those would contain gluten. I think I would die because I can never given up my coffee! :eek2:

Thanks so much! I will check these out and maybe order from there. It’s great knowing there is someone who can attest to them. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results