shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find a faceted opal?

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
I didn’t know opals could be cut with facets. I’m totally in love with the opal in this post

Please help me find something similar! Thanks in advance.

upload_2018-11-9_22-26-59.jpeg
upload_2018-11-9_22-27-12.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, if that's real I would LOVE one too! I just would imagine it would waste so much rough to cut it that way. It is so striking.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a faceted opal which crazed a lot over the years. Heartbreaking! I hadn’t thought of this when I bought mine decades ago, but It is vital that the opal is faceted from stable material because some of the light and Jelly like opals tend to loose water and start crazing. I’ve heard that Ethiopian opal quite stable as a second to Australian opal, but stability depends on the stone. Ideally, safest would be to buy a faceted opal which has been stored for a few years to ensure stability.

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
Wow, if that's real I would LOVE one too! I just would imagine it would waste so much rough to cut it that way. It is so striking.

I know right? It looks like something out of a fairy tale. I’m just imagining how delicious that opal would be paired with paraiba in something by Heart of Jewels...

I'd contact Jordy @jordyonbass and see if he can help you.

https://www.instagram.com/msopalworld/

Thank you very much! I’m falling deeper in love with opals by the minute!!

I have a faceted opal which crazed a lot over the years. Heartbreaking! I hadn’t thought of this when I bought mine decades ago, but It is vital that the opal is faceted from stable material because some of the light and Jelly like opals tend to loose water and start crazing. I’ve heard that Ethiopian opal quite stable as a second to Australian opal, but stability depends on the stone. Ideally, safest would be to buy a faceted opal which has been stored for a few years to ensure stability.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew opal was delicate but didn’t know exactly how. Can you post a photo of your faceted opal before it was crazed? I’d love to see it!

Oh my goodness, they have such GORGEOUS stones. I am obsessed, thank you so much for this lead.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
While its lovely, sadly opals are so weak and prone to breakage I personally would only purchase a faceted opal of any kind as a collectors stone. With an opal cabochon theyre already so prone to scratches and breakage, so id imagine one little knock on a faceted opal could do the trick and even shatter the piece. Hell I've owned many opals and theyre all cabs and one good knock to my black Australian opal and kid you not the darn thing shattered.
It would have to be a ring or pendant that youre super duper careful with and even then I'm not sure if the opal would holdup long term.
Just something to take into account!

Good luck!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know right? It looks like something out of a fairy tale. I’m just imagining how delicious that opal would be paired with paraiba in something by Heart of Jewels...

Thank you very much! I’m falling deeper in love with opals by the minute!!

Thanks for the heads up. I knew opal was delicate but didn’t know exactly how. Can you post a photo of your faceted opal before it was crazed? I’d love to see it!

Oh my goodness, they have such GORGEOUS stones. I am obsessed, thank you so much for this lead.
Unfortunately I don’t have any before pics, but here are pics of it now... still pretty but you can see the cracks as a result of slow water loss. I’m sure there is stable opal material for faceted stones, but sometimes it’s hard to tell.
A24F6021-AEEB-4E1E-9193-3218E77548DD.jpeg 72C7A4DE-0D7C-468F-BB56-0C5DBE595D66.jpeg 179278AD-77D6-4090-A009-D47AFFB0705E.jpeg 80C40C02-0A3F-4CA4-BA1A-E811675A8A33.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting pics @Bluegemz because I've never seen crazing, I don't believe. Is there anything to stop/reverse/protect this from happening? It still is stunning.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting pics @Bluegemz because I've never seen crazing, I don't believe. Is there anything to stop/reverse/protect this from happening? It still is stunning.
There isn’t much to be done. One just hopes it will stop! A dip in Opticon, a polymer compound often used to fill emeralds, sometimes can help by sealing the stone. But I imagine that it greatly depends, and this is not a standard procedure as far as I know.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought mine from The Gem Trader.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock

I was reading an opal thread earlier (I tried to search it and couldn't find it :( ), and a trade person commented and said that you can help prevent crazing by storing your opals in a humid environment. He mentioned that he kept his favorite opal in a little jar of water (which is also how a lot of opal rough is stored), and mentioned that you can also store them with a little dampened cotton ball.

A lot of work, but if you love it, worth it!

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
Update! I bought a faceted opal thanks to you all!

I bought it from Hashnu Stones — it’s the Welo opal pictured at the top of their website: https://www.hashnustones.com/ and shown in a video on their instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlyFZfYDRxl/

It’s still in the mail but I’ll post an update when I receive it. :geek2:

I follow a gem cutter on Instagram named Matt Lin, he's done a few faceted opals, but the newest one is a 9mm rosecut. Video is on IG.
20181118_004830.png 20181118_004748.png
It’s... so pretty!! Thank you for the lead!
I was reading an opal thread earlier (I tried to search it and couldn't find it :( ), and a trade person commented and said that you can help prevent crazing by storing your opals in a humid environment. He mentioned that he kept his favorite opal in a little jar of water (which is also how a lot of opal rough is stored), and mentioned that you can also store them with a little dampened cotton ball.

A lot of work, but if you love it, worth it!

I love it! They’re like gems for mermaids, basically :love:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Update! I bought a faceted opal thanks to you all!

I bought it from Hashnu Stones — it’s the Welo opal pictured at the top of their website: https://www.hashnustones.com/ and shown in a video on their instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlyFZfYDRxl/

It’s still in the mail but I’ll post an update when I receive it. :geek2:

It’s... so pretty!! Thank you for the lead!

I love it! They’re like gems for mermaids, basically :love:

It looks lovely. I hope you will post pictures when you get it.

Talk about a coincidence... I was browsing Hashnu Stones on Instagram a few minutes ago.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I really do hope you like it when you get it. Translucent Ethiopian opals can be quite disappointing in person when not very saturated with color. I have faceted opals for my earrings, and the facets do add interest for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results