shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with a star ruby?

Probee

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I’m a long time lurker but this is my first time posting. I recently received a star ruby from my dad. He purchased it about 20 years ago from Vietnam. He told me it’s natural but I have no idea as I am clueless when it comes to gemstones. I’m thinking of setting it into a ring. This will be the one and only heirloom piece of jewelry for me so it’s of high sentimental value. I don’t know if it’s worth much to send to the lab, get insurance, or just set the stone. I’m thinking of bezel setting but not sure if I want dainty or substantial piece of jewelry. Second photo is most reflective of actual color

stone is roughly 11x9x4.5 and maybe 4.4 ct.

435D06C0-B9EC-40C9-AEC8-863418CF01C1.jpeg

6AA9193D-549A-49E0-B82D-AAD315A6A064.jpeg 2B9FF4D9-B6E1-4AE4-8C7C-6C9471DCE913.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!!!!!

Definitely set it! Have you got any inspiration ring pics?

I think that stone is beautiful and worthy of a lovely setting!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sometimes the bottom of the stone will indicate the stone is natural

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's definitely worthy of a lab report. You should set it, but take the time to find a setting that you'll love for a lifetime.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone, but I want that puppy in your avatar!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beauriful stone
i look forward to seeing what you do with it
good luck

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
WOW color but needs a lab report.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely a ring. I've always liked this one

But send it to a lab first -- it is better to check before you break the bank setting it.

Probee

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kinda words as they get me more excited about owning the stone. I don’t know how to do multiple quotes yet.

@voce , @Anne111 do you think the stone worth more than the cost of the lab report? Which lab should I consider sending it to? I know without more information it’s hard to put a number on it but any estimation is greatly appreciated.

@mellowyellowgirl I haven’t thought much about it and don’t have many jewelry besides my er, wedding ring, and couple of items I received as wedding gifts. I did a quick google search and like this one.
44537BD0-FF20-4174-878B-B8E23F762B98.jpeg

@pwsg07 what would I be looking for at the bottom?

ED6FF151-F45E-445E-9CE3-ABB37D665D25.jpeg

@MrsKMB I too wanted the puppy so badly but already have two and don’t think I should have more dogs than number of hands to pet them ;-)

voce

Ideal_Rock
The ruby is potentially worth thousands of dollars, so yes, spending $160 on an AGL Prestige ID report would be worth it. The Gem Brief is only $75, but your ruby is too large for the brief, which only covers stones below 3ct. Please consult aglgem.com/pricelist to see their cost for the lab report.

Probee

Rough_Rock
The ruby is potentially worth thousands of dollars, so yes, spending $160 on an AGL Prestige ID report would be worth it. The Gem Brief is only $75, but your ruby is too large for the brief, which only covers stones below 3ct. Please consult aglgem.com/pricelist to see their cost for the lab report.

Oh wow. We didn’t come from a lot of money so I don’t think my dad paid a lot for it. Also I don’t even know where to start with lab repor so thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely consider sending it to AGL.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks natural to me based on the bottom of the stone

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow. We didn’t come from a lot of money so I don’t think my dad paid a lot for it. Also I don’t even know where to start with lab repor so thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely consider sending it to AGL.

Its value today has less to do with what your dad had paid for it twenty years ago and more to do with how much the price of ruby has appreciated over these twenty years.

Probee

Rough_Rock
Definitely a ring. I've always liked this one

But send it to a lab first -- it is better to check before you break the bank setting it.

That is such a beautiful ring! I appreciate this type of jewelry on others and admire them from distance but feel awkward wearing them. I think I’m more of a clean lines and geometric type with attention to details but short of bells and whistles. Not sure if that makes sense.

Probee

Rough_Rock
It looks natural to me based on the bottom of the stone

That’s a much appreciated feedback. I think it has a nice red fluorescence in the sunlight. I need to confirm but it’s been cloudy where I’m at.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful, fortunately most synthetic Star sapphires are obvious. I don’t think there’s much doubt that its natural.
and yes, do get a lab report before setting. It’s a worthwhile investment to have formal confirmation and an opinion on origin. Also helps for valuation/ insurance purposes too.
I love your inspiration setting, yellow gold looks best with rubies in my opinion. Depending on your budget, where the gold “bars” are on either side of the ruby you could add in some wee melee stones, diamonds would look fabulous but a lot of us like to be a bit adventurous and add in extra colour. You might consider wee emeralds or garnets for green, sapphires for blue or yellow, amethyst for purple and to really go for wow, Paraiba tourmalines (neon blue).
very exciting for you.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is such a beautiful ring! I appreciate this type of jewelry on others and admire them from distance but feel awkward wearing them. I think I’m more of a clean lines and geometric type with attention to details but short of bells and whistles. Not sure if that makes sense.

Yes fair enough, usually I take most of the complex elements out of any plan I am contemplating immediately before execution. So I completely understand what you mean.

Probee

Rough_Rock
@Bron357 thats a lot of great ideas. I love the idea of adding accent diamonds, or green shade of emerald/garnet. @voce has a tray of beautiful pieces in another thread.

I also love the brushed finish so maybe something like this for the bezel and shank.

F76B24AB-E9A1-4F79-8EF5-297A93F0224D.jpeg 1F44B3B8-6F23-4C9F-B22D-274A7C4FDE39.jpeg

too much?

Probee

Rough_Rock
I’m trying to learn more about star ruby but can’t find much info online. When looking for similar stones for pricing and entertaining my sister’s idea of earrings, there are plenty from eBay and Etsy for dirt cheap or ridiculously expensive from auction house, high end pieces. I couldn’t find much in the 1k-5k range at all. With diamonds there are local jewelry stores, the big box like Macy’s, chain like Zared, warehouse like Costco, all the way up to fancy patented ideal cuts and designer benches. I started the thread thinking I have a stone that came from my dad’s ring that’s probably worth few hundred dollars and would like to make it into a nice piece of jewelry to cherish. Now I’m thinking how rare is natural star ruby/sapphire? Is this the gem aficionado territory?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Star ruby is reasonably uncommon especially in sizes above 10 carats.
factors that affect price are colour, your star ruby might actually be classed as a pink sapphire so in lower value, the appearance of the star ie centred and with prominent star rays. This effect is what makes a star ruby a star ruby so it’s very important. Size obviously, over 10 carats is uncommon and origin. A Burmese origin can add thousands to the value.
star rubies are usually untreated because heating removes the rutile silk which would break up the look of the star rays.
Im no valuer or assessor but I’d have to guess your star sapphire is worth around $20,000. So worthy of a lovely setting to create a future family heirloom.

voce

Ideal_Rock

The first one is really light color and lesser value than yours. The second one is more comparable. I don't think yours would be worth $20k since it's pinkish and not Burmese origin, but $3k is reasonable.

Probee

Rough_Rock
Star ruby is reasonably uncommon especially in sizes above 10 carats.
factors that affect price are colour, your star ruby might actually be classed as a pink sapphire so in lower value, the appearance of the star ie centred and with prominent star rays. This effect is what makes a star ruby a star ruby so it’s very important. Size obviously, over 10 carats is uncommon and origin. A Burmese origin can add thousands to the value.
star rubies are usually untreated because heating removes the rutile silk which would break up the look of the star rays.
Im no valuer or assessor but I’d have to guess your star sapphire is worth around $20,000. So worthy of a lovely setting to create a future family heirloom.

my jaw just hit the pavement. Now I definitely will send it to the lab. My dad happened to be at the jewelry store when a local came in trying to sell a pair of the stones to the owner. After their negotiations he bought them and set them into two rings. So I think it’s likely from Luc Yen (my dad told me to google the term). There’s not much information online but some indicates that there were mining of star ruby in Vietnam in the 90s and it’s about when he bought them.

Probee

Rough_Rock

The first one is really light color and lesser value than yours. The second one is more comparable. I don't think yours would be worth $20k since it's pinkish and not Burmese origin, but $3k is reasonable.

Wow, that’s some research skills you have. Thank you! My photos don’t depic the color accurately. It’s also darker/deeper/more saturated in person. I’ll try to get better photos. You are right, it’s unlikely that it’s Burmese. I’m equally excited if it’s $3k.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that’s some research skills you have. Thank you! My photos don’t depic the color accurately. It’s also darker/deeper/more saturated in person. I’ll try to get better photos. You are right, it’s unlikely that it’s Burmese. I’m equally excited if it’s $3k.

The fact that yours is huge at 15 odd carats means it’s worth much more than just a x3 of a 5 carat one. Even $1,000 a carat makes it $15,000!
In terms of colour, true red ruby would be stratospheric expensive at 15 carats, followed by a fine blue, but a Strong pink is worth more than a pale blue or pale pink or grey or black.
Yours seems to have good tone, a strong and centred star with full and straight star lines plus a lack of any surface imperfections.
a lovely gem.

Probee

Rough_Rock
The fact that yours is huge at 15 odd carats means it’s worth much more than just a x3 of a 5 carat one. Even $1,000 a carat makes it $15,000!
In terms of colour, true red ruby would be stratospheric expensive at 15 carats, followed by a fine blue, but a Strong pink is worth more than a pale blue or pale pink or grey or black.
Yours seems to have good tone, a strong and centred star with full and straight star lines plus a lack of any surface imperfections.
a lovely gem.

Mine is not 15ct. It’s roughly about 4.4ct using a scale I have at home that’s not specific for jewelry purpose. It seems to match with the measurements of similar size stones.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Mine is not 15ct. It’s roughly about 4.4ct using a scale I have at home that’s not specific for jewelry purpose. It seems to match with the measurements of similar size stones.

4.4ct, 9x11mm is still a decently large size. Just to be sure, 4.4 ct means 0.88g if you're using kitchen scales.

Probee

Rough_Rock
4.4ct, 9x11mm is still a decently large size. Just to be sure, 4.4 ct means 0.88g if you're using kitchen scales.

Yes! Kitchen at around 0.88g.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce, so excited for you to have this stone! What a lovely gift from your dad and one you can always cherish!
I hope you take your time and really get something you adore. It is well worth saving to only do it one time. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results