shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this particular art deco/vintage style of ring called?

Hello,

I very much like a certain style of art deco or vintage jewelry/rings, but I don't know what it is called, so it makes me hard to search for it.

I like stones surrounded on either side by...what I would call geometric "wings" of metals or other gems, but I am sure that is not the right word!

Some examples of what I am talking about:
I'm not even sure if this is an authentic art deco style or just art deco inspired - that might also be good to know.

How would you describe this style, especially the kind where the center stone is flanked by metal, not baguette diamonds? Do you know what it's called?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This style reminds me of @Bron357 's beautiful diamond ring!
Maybe she will come by and let us know what her ring is called!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m rather fond of the Art Deco period. I collect Clarice Cliff China and have a number of other Art Deco items through the house!.
The style of the ring doesn’t have a “name” as such, it’s a style reminiscent of the image of the Art Deco Chrysler Building in Chicago. It’s also sometimes referred to as the “Machine Age” style. Clarice Cliff Cliff when using that image in her Sunray pattern refers to it as “Sky Scraper”.
It’s a fairly ionic shape, very geometric,angular and stepped.
It was a huge change from the previous French influenced Art Nouveau style which was soft, flowing and flowery in both shape and design.
The Art Deco styling is also found subsequently in 1950s and again in 1970s.
I think simply searching for “Art Deco” will bring up more items in your search. Keep in mind that there is original Art Deco jewellery and more recently made jewellery “in the Art Deco style”
I would advise that you take care if considering an “original” Art Deco ring. Rings that are 80 plus years old have been subjected to decades of knocks and wear and it can be nigh impossible to get them satisfactorily repaired. I’ve had two original Art Deco rings that have had to be completely remade. And yes, my Engagement ring was an original Art Deco setting which had to be basically scrapped as it was so worn (I actually only bought it for the emerald cut diamond) and my subsequent design was based on Art Deco Styling.
It’s a very comfortable, “safe” for the gems, low profile style which suits me because I’m an accident waiting to happen most the time
And I love it to the moon and back. :love:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m rather fond of the Art Deco period. I collect Clarice Cliff China and have a number of other Art Deco items through the house!.
The style of the ring doesn’t have a “name” as such, it’s a style reminiscent of the image of the Art Deco Chrysler Building in Chicago. It’s also sometimes referred to as the “Machine Age” style. Clarice Cliff Cliff when using that image in her Sunray pattern refers to it as “Sky Scraper”.
It’s a fairly ionic shape, very geometric,angular and stepped.
It was a huge change from the previous French influenced Art Nouveau style which was soft, flowing and flowery in both shape and design.
The Art Deco styling is also found subsequently in 1950s and again in 1970s.
I think simply searching for “Art Deco” will bring up more items in your search. Keep in mind that there is original Art Deco jewellery and more recently made jewellery “in the Art Deco style”
I would advise that you take care if considering an “original” Art Deco ring. Rings that are 80 plus years old have been subjected to decades of knocks and wear and it can be nigh impossible to get them satisfactorily repaired. I’ve had two original Art Deco rings that have had to be completely remade. And yes, my Engagement ring was an original Art Deco setting which had to be basically scrapped as it was so worn (I actually only bought it for the emerald cut diamond) and my subsequent design was based on Art Deco Styling.
It’s a very comfortable, “safe” for the gems, low profile style which suits me because I’m an accident waiting to happen most the time
And I love it to the moon and back. :love:
Yes, I think "Machine Age" describes this style well.
Great information, Bron!
However, @MidModMin , I think the first example you posted, with the turquoise stones might be considered "Etruscan Revival", and it is earlier than the Art Deco period,.

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have any formal answers for you either but the last ring you linked to tends to be called a step ring or stepped setting. I like that style a lot and may make a ring in this style.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, everyone!
@Bron357 , thank you for that information. I love the architecture of the Chrysler Building, so you are perfectly describing the aesthetic I'm looking for. I'll try searching using some of the terms you brought up, but I guess (as with a lot of antique accessories) I just have to keep searching what is out there and see what I can find. I love the geometric aesthetic of art deco, it's very pretty.

@stracci2000 , Etruscan Revival was a good reminder. I like the style, as well, but had forgotten the term.

@peacechick , stepped setting is a good term, which I will remember. I also like some of the stepped setting rings that were made closer to midcentury, so it opens up a lot of opens.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ring with similar elements, placed in a different direction.. And I've always wondered what terms describe it too! I like the sound of stepped as well. Pretty sure mine is much earlier than deco though. Here's a pic
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 17
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results