shape
carat
color
clarity

What is one thing about you that might surprise people who know you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all (or most of us I would guess) have something that others might not realize about us.
Please share if you dare...

:kiss:

calvin-and-hobbes-look-at-the-stars.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I keep a journal, nobody (except anyone who reads this now of course) not even DH knows about it. Not that it's an intentional secret, rather it's just never come up.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m afraid of the dark. I think I got it from my mother. I can’t stand it when it’s pitch black, though the usual urban light pollution is bright enough if I’m going to bed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My life reads like a prank - I assume no one knows what to make of it...

Aww no. Your life reads as a rewarding worthwhile one IMO and you are a wonderful person to boot.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have crippling anxiety, but people tend to read me as an extreme extrovert, because I am a teacher and very friendly. I think most people are shocked to find out that I am an emotional basket case at times and somewhat insecure in general.

I do feel like I'm getting better with age and therapy (I hope!), but nowhere near where I'd like to end up eventually. Progress, not perfection!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have crippling anxiety, but people tend to read me as an extreme extrovert, because I am a teacher and very friendly. I think most people are shocked to find out that I am an emotional basket case at times and somewhat insecure in general.

I do feel like I'm getting better with age and therapy (I hope!), but nowhere near where I'd like to end up eventually. Progress, not perfection!
I am quite the same, although wrapped up with complex-PTSD from a long term highly abusive first marriage. I have had alot of therapy to heal from this and the weird thing is I work in jewellery retail and no one in a million years would think I suffer from this at times. I'm introverted by nature, but my passion for jewellery overrides this!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s I’m a bling addict lol. I am very pragmatic and Tom boyish in almost everything. I don’t carry a purse, I wear sneakers to work, and own many of the same dress in different colors cause I hate shopping for clothes. People are shocked when I disclose my jewelry knowledge.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite the same, although wrapped up with complex-PTSD from a long term highly abusive first marriage. I have had alot of therapy to heal from this and the weird thing is I work in jewellery retail and no one in a million years would think I suffer from this at times. I'm introverted by nature, but my passion for jewellery overrides this!

Hugs to you and thank you for sharing! I wish I worked in jewelry :love:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That I haven’t left my house alone for over 6 years. I believe I will faint if I do. I don’t even try. If I’m in a supermarket/shop/anywhere with my husband or daughter and they are out of sight I freak out. The dizziness begins immediately. I’m about to start a course of cognitive behaviour therapy.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m afraid of the dark. I think I got it from my mother. I can’t stand it when it’s pitch black, though the usual urban light pollution is bright enough if I’m going to bed.

I'm so with you! I remember walking with my friend through the building. I had to hold onto her while we walked through. I don't like the dark either. I have a REALLY hard time going to sleep when hubby isn't home.

One more thing: I LOATHE scary movies. My family knows, and hubs makes fun of me....ugh...hate scary movies....liked them better when we had a real couch, then I could hide with dh...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid of heights. I think being stuck at the top of a Ferris wheel started it about 20 years ago.
Towers, high cliffs, rickety railings, etc. make me very anxious.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm..I think even though I am super friendly and get well along with everyone, I do not do well in large social situations. I just can’t seem to acclimate to that kind of surrounding. I don’t do public speaking either yet I teach (albeit tweens)! So I guess I hate attention because we also eloped! :silenced:

Fun topic! I’ve enjoyed everyone’s responses.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought of another one: I am a huge "fraghead" as they say on the perfume forum of which I'm a member. I have a ton of perfumes and know all the various celeb/designer/niche offerings. I love to read and discuss all the notes that make up a scent. Probably own more bottles of perfume and samples than I could ever use up in my lifetime. :lol-2: I don't care much about make-up or purses or shoes. Give me ALL the perfumes!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When I refer to myself as an introvert people who know me, but are not particularly closest to me, they are always surprised. They always say, "I would have thought you were an extrovert."

But I'm not. I was just raised by extroverts that thought being an extrovert was 'normal' so I constantly pushed out of my comfort zone and I learned how to fake it well. It's a skill now that I use in social situations like a shield but it's not natural to me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who know me would know everything. I am quite open and to the point. I think they might not know that my insomnia has been literally a lifelong issue for me, and that my light is always the last one to go out in any neighbourhood we've ever lived in. I have to take certain meds, or I go round the clock without sleeping, and I actually forget to take them several times every month and then I wonder why I'm not able to sleep!:eek2: My first memories of being the only one awake begin at around 4 years old.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have huge anxiety / fear of parking in underground parking garages. Not a great thing to have when having to park downtown where most of the lots are all underground. I stick to 1 or 2 that I'm familiar with.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I have been clinically dead for 5 minutes and have brain damage from an unfortunate drug interaction in my teens. I had an overactive thyroid misdiagnosed as Bulima and I was seeing a shrink who was using experimental treatment on me (and others) unbeknownst of course to my parents. My shrink was responsible for the deaths of 24 people and many others permanently damaged. He committed suicide rather than go to jail.
I did not participate in the Royal Commission or seek any legal redress as it would have been further damaging to my then, extremely fragile mental health. It completely changed my life but I am one of the lucky ones.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so with you! I remember walking with my friend through the building. I had to hold onto her while we walked through. I don't like the dark either. I have a REALLY hard time going to sleep when hubby isn't home.

One more thing: I LOATHE scary movies. My family knows, and hubs makes fun of me....ugh...hate scary movies....liked them better when we had a real couch, then I could hide with dh...
I’m so glad it’s not just my mother and me! I also have a terrible time trying to sleep when my husband’s away.

I actually enjoy scary movies but just not immediately before bed.

When I refer to myself as an introvert people who know me, but are not particularly closest to me, they are always surprised. They always say, "I would have thought you were an extrovert."

But I'm not. I was just raised by extroverts that thought being an extrovert was 'normal' so I constantly pushed out of my comfort zone and I learned how to fake it well. It's a skill now that I use in social situations like a shield but it's not natural to me.
I know the feeling! I’m forced to be more extroverted by my job and I can fake it well enough from time to time, but some days it takes a lot of effort.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I have been clinically dead for 5 minutes and have brain damage from an unfortunate drug interaction in my teens. I had an overactive thyroid misdiagnosed as Bulima and I was seeing a shrink who was using experimental treatment on me (and others) unbeknownst of course to my parents. My shrink was responsible for the deaths of 24 people and many others permanently damaged. He committed suicide rather than go to jail.
I did not participate in the Royal Commission or seek any legal redress as it would have been further damaging to my then, extremely fragile mental health. It completely changed my life but I am one of the lucky ones.

HOLY CRAP! That is so utterly awful, I'm sorry you had to deal with such a psycho. :angryfire:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm a lot of people don't know I grew up poor as a church mouse, on a farm, as a total tomboy.

I guess I'm quite girly now (love makeup, perfume & jewellery!) and have lived in cities most of my adult life but I can still hold a conversation about wool prices, ride a horse and whinge about lack of rain with the best of them... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results