shape
carat
color
clarity

What does nice "entry level" mean to you?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a guy on the watch forum posted his new $15k watch and then another member replied by saying...nice "entry level" watch.

my Q is...isn't that like putting the guy down saying that he can only afford the least expensive model?

Guess I better not buy a "entry level" Mercedes or BMW and post it on a German car forum?. :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a guy on the watch forum posted his new $15k watch and then another member replied by saying...nice "entry level" watch.

my Q is...isn't that like putting the guy down saying that he can only afford the least expensive model?

Guess I better not buy a "entry level" Mercedes or BMW and post it on a German car forum?. :lol:
Money does not buy class, sadly, as those who have a lot and think they are therefore better than others so regularly demonstrate!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep he’s being a condescending whatsit

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eyeroll.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He’s definitely trying to hurt the guy’s feelings because:
.he’s insecure and can only build himself up by putting others down
.he can’t afford an “entry level” watch himself
.he dislikes or resents the other guy for some reason.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! That there is a dis’! Sheesh! Get. Over. Yourself. :snooty:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say 1k for general entry level and $2000 for entry level luxury brand.

15k for a watch :confused:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I accept the idea of entry level in regards to cars, it seems less offensive. But for personal items, and especially when not asked for, very offensive.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That guy is an insensitive jerk.
It's not hard give a kind word, or a bit of encouragement.
DF, you should go back and shower the guy with compliments about his 15G watch, just to be the better man!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15K is hardly entry level for a watch. Even though there are watch brands that thats where they start, 15k to tell time? Thats baller money. My husband has a mid range master compressor, which in general is his only jewelry aside from the lovely fine silver bracelet I had made for him.

My watch is true entry level @ 2K..lol I barely wear it at this point.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...the guy who said that was very insensitive. I would only call it entry level if the owner/buyer called it entry level or a starting point.

Just like diamonds, some only want 1/2 carat and dont plan on upgrading. Nothing wrong with that and I wouldnt call it entry level unless the buyer had
made their intentions of going up in size from there.

Q

Queenie60

Probably an arrogant person with a swollen head! No time for them.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
is this a luxury watch forum? nothing being discussed there would be entry level in my book. what a sh*tty thing to say to someone, i hope that poster got checked.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The guy that made the comment was obviously a dick with too much time & too much money.
rofl tell it!
One a gun board I used to hang out on we had a guy that was always making comments like that.
We caught him a bunch of times posting pictures of other peoples guns claiming they were his own.
One time he even used a picture that belonged to another board member who has posted it about a month before.
Hilarity followed!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rofl tell it!
One a gun board I used to hang out on we had a guy that was always making comments like that.
We caught him a bunch of times posting pictures of other peoples guns claiming they were his own.
One time he even used a picture that belonged to another board member who has posted it about a month before.
Hilarity followed!
It happened on watch forums too. A guy goes into a high end watch store and took pics of like 5 watches and claim it was his. these 5 watches he posted would cost about 450K.

The funny thing is these watches was still in its original sealed plastic bag, so members ask him to cut the plastic bags and post some wrist shots, :bigsmile: of course he can't do it since these watches don't belong to him. :lol:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would NEVER use the term "entry level" because it is rude, however, something is considered "entry level" IF it's the least expensive model for that brand. Like buying $200 silver from Tiffany's. SO if it really is "entry level" for that brand I wouldn't have taken it in an "off" way if someone said it to me.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I might imagine some situations when 'you are on to a good start' is a compliment; throwing this to a perfect stranger on a forum is not on the list...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, posting from phone, this wasn't as huge in the preview

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, thankfully PS'rs have more manners than that...I took his comment as a totally passive aggressive dig, and not nice in the least. If you don't have something nice to say, then you really shouldn't say anything IMHO.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
entry level is a term best used behind closed doors between suppliers and retailers

it comes across as such a put down when used in casual conversation
very inpolite

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Completely rude! What an a$$!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“My toy is better than yours, nanner nanner!”

Literally a conversation a shithead little kid would start. Some people never grow out of it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For cars, the lowest spec with the smallest engine and BHP.

For a musical instrument such as a Saxophone, one up from "student", based on my recent research.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think that person was a snob..and needs to have the best of everything to feel better than everyone...That’s not saying it’s not good to have the best of something...but the reason should be that it would give you joy..not a pat on the back from other people.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of people on the internet have no class. This person is one of them. I have never paid more than $250 for a watch so entry level is relative.

Edit - that's a lie. I paid $1600 for a 2.5ct diamond platinum vintage watch that wasn't working. Sold it for almost twice that later. I love a good deal ;-).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results