shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this stone?

Crystal503

Rough_Rock
It’s a 1.23 carat I colored stone. Sometimes I think it’s too dark, not sure if it’s my imagination.
C3C453EC-AE6A-437D-B44C-00E659C9FD5A.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
An I color isn’t going to look as bright as a higher color. Given it is in a stone holder, I am assuming you are considering buying it? Do you have any other images of it? I want to see what the bow tie looks like in another view. It seems to be a bit on the “squatter” for lack of a better word in terms of ratio... some like that, some prefer something elongated, so want something smack in the middle. Shape is personal preference.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Lighting and the cut can also impact the color of the stone. Can you take pictures of it in different lighting?

Crystal503

Rough_Rock
Here’s another pic with it resting on an old setting. I’ve decided to return it. It definitely has dark areas in the stone under certain lighting. I’m going to keep looking.

E7E7C337-5EE9-4981-8A2F-CE055DC4EBD9.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You are 1 stone closer to your diamond :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s another pic with it resting on an old setting. I’ve decided to return it. It definitely has dark areas in the stone under certain lighting. I’m going to keep looking.

E7E7C337-5EE9-4981-8A2F-CE055DC4EBD9.png

Don't forget that a stone will need to have contrast (areas of obstruction / darkness) to, er, contrast :lol: against the bright light return - to have that means it will have visual patterns, which will make it more visually interesting, and the darker areas will mean the brighter areas look brighter :)

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
First time I have heard this

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@OoohShiny Please help me to understand this better! So when we think of "contrast", obstruction can be part of what contributes to create the contrast? I thought that obstruction is a separate thing that can adversely affect a stone. There's been a lot of discussion lately regarding obstruction and I interpreted it as being problematic (i.e., stones with certain proportions result in more obstruction = "bad"). I thought the contrast was a result of pattern. Hence, you can see my confusion/misunderstanding/need for enlightenment lol! Thank you :)

Reactions: Mlh

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are not averse to buying online, then post your desired size, color, clarity and budget. There are some here with gorgeous marquise diamonds that would help you find your future diamond.

Crystal503

Rough_Rock
I’m not adverse to ordering online, I’ve ordered and sent back 3 stones already. My budget is up to $4000. I’d prefer a carat or slightly above. For color, I’d go up to a K but prefer faint brown tint over yellow for lower colored stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not adverse to ordering online, I’ve ordered and sent back 3 stones already. My budget is up to $4000. I’d prefer a carat or slightly above. For color, I’d go up to a K but prefer faint brown tint over yellow for lower colored stones.

What about shapes? Any shape? Or just marquise?

Crystal503

Rough_Rock
Marquise is the only shape that I like.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny Please help me to understand this better! So when we think of "contrast", obstruction can be part of what contributes to create the contrast? I thought that obstruction is a separate thing that can adversely affect a stone. There's been a lot of discussion lately regarding obstruction and I interpreted it as being problematic (i.e., stones with certain proportions result in more obstruction = "bad"). I thought the contrast was a result of pattern. Hence, you can see my confusion/misunderstanding/need for enlightenment lol! Thank you :)

Hey headlight :))

Contrast can be created by obstruction - the area of blue in this graphic shows how the viewer's head creates a dark area (blocking the light getting to the stone) which creates the dark/blue 'arrows' we see in ASETscope images of rounds:

ASET-Light-Setup1[1].jpg

Too much obstruction (due to a shallow stone, or perhaps fat arrows and a small table meaning all the area under the table is 'off' / showing obstruction at the same time) is perhaps not desirable, but as the viewer moves further away from the stone, the shadow/obstruction gets smaller - that is why shallow stones can be good for pendants (as per the HCA tool comments), because the viewer is further away than the distance from head to hand that a ring is viewed from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results