shape
carat
color
clarity

What am I going to do with all these???

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
So I started going through my Nanny’s loose stones, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with them! There are SO MANY!!! She used to watch a lot of late night JTV, which led to more than a few impulse buys :lol: There are a couple that I love, but a ton are small parcels with stones that would really be difficult to use. I mean, I have a bag of 350 CARATS worth of cabachons, opals and faceted gems that she paid $170 for. What do you do with that??? There are also two half carat marquis aquamarines, a random loose pearl, and about a dozen stones in their little plastic cases with the specs printed on them. This doesn’t include two baggies that came out of some of her old jewelry. The pic of the loose stones on my hand is one of the bags. They’re ones I sorted out that I liked that I may use to reset. I don’t know whyyyyyy so many are ovals???

You ladies are geniuses, so I thought I might pick your brains! ;)2 That oval oro verde quartz in the second pic is probably my favorite. It’s 18x13 and 10.5 carats! That baby is going in a ring for sure. The checkerboard faceting is really beautiful I think.

I know none of these are really super valuable, aside from maybe the tiny ruby and there are 2 matching sapphires, but I still think it would be fun to set a few of them.

I can take more close up pics in better lighting if anyone has any good ideas, or wants to take some of these parcels off my hands! Lol. I seriously am stumped as to why she bought them :confused2: It makes me laugh though. Gosh I miss her so much!!!

01223E53-029A-4090-B159-44A7B3CEEBC3.jpeg B01BB64B-C732-4E4D-B1E1-F03583389224.jpeg 1E693FAF-BF01-45F1-9665-A2ABFE849C39.jpeg 9359EA2A-BEF5-43E6-B9C0-1D7EFE65E1F7.jpeg 9E114B43-B88C-4834-826E-32045B524D54.jpeg 15B8CD00-D3B6-4BDC-A6AF-F6B7D544D624.jpeg E1C10416-B97B-48F6-90D7-C2F76DA49801.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Beautiful! Maybe list some for sale in the preloved section? I would bet some would sell.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Earrings for any that look somewhat matched!! Necklaces! Don't remember if you have kids or even want any but if you do, necklaces and rings for them too! Otherwise presents for neices and nephews wives lmao. So many things! And sell the rest I suppose lol.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Earrings for any that look somewhat matched!! Necklaces! Don't remember if you have kids or even want any but if you do, necklaces and rings for them too! Otherwise presents for neices and nephews wives lmao. So many things! And sell the rest I suppose lol.

I did find a tiny aquamarine oval, which happens to be my 11 year old daughters birthstone. I’m not sure I can find a setting small enough, but I think it would look so sweet on her little fingers. And knowing it was from her great grandmothers stash makes it even more special.

A couple look like matches for earrings. I’ll have to ask my SIL if she wants any of them too. I just didn’t know about selling any of them because most are fairly low in value. She paid maybe $20 each for the larger ones, and some of the smaller ones are under $10. I think the most expensive was the ruby at $35?

There’s kunzite, citrine, Mexican fire opal, ruby, sapphire, tanzanite, mosaic opal, aquamarine, tourmaline, rudilated quartz, etc. No clue what the rectangular pink stone is though. It doesn’t have a label. Hmmmm....

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I did find a tiny aquamarine oval, which happens to be my 11 year old daughters birthstone. I’m not sure I can find a setting small enough, but I think it would look so sweet on her little fingers. And knowing it was from her great grandmothers stash makes it even more special.

A couple look like matches for earrings. I’ll have to ask my SIL if she wants any of them too. I just didn’t know about selling any of them because most are fairly low in value. She paid maybe $20 each for the larger ones, and some of the smaller ones are under $10. I think the most expensive was the ruby at $35?

There’s kunzite, citrine, Mexican fire opal, ruby, sapphire, tanzanite, mosaic opal, aquamarine, tourmaline, rudilated quartz, etc. No clue what the rectangular pink stone is though. It doesn’t have a label. Hmmmm....

Awe I think that would be wonderful! I love aquamarine! What about a small pendant if the ring doesn't work out?
Hmm yes maybe your sister in law might want some. I definitely think earrings are a great idea. Coloured stones are just so much fun to play with :D are there enough of the same colour of the smaller ones to make a partial eternity? I had purchased a bunch of citrine to do that myself but I lost them somewhere when we moved :(

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Awe I think that would be wonderful! I love aquamarine! What about a small pendant if the ring doesn't work out?
Hmm yes maybe your sister in law might want some. I definitely think earrings are a great idea. Coloured stones are just so much fun to play with :D are there enough of the same colour of the smaller ones to make a partial eternity? I had purchased a bunch of citrine to do that myself but I lost them somewhere when we moved :(

Oh no!!! So sorry!!! I have 9 oval blue stones (not sure what they are) but aside from that I don’t have any big enough, or enough of them, to do anything like that. Could be pretty in a 5-7 stone? Now you’ve got my wheels turning.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no!!! So sorry!!! I have 9 oval blue stones (not sure what they are) but aside from that I don’t have any big enough, or enough of them, to do anything like that. Could be pretty in a 5-7 stone? Now you’ve got my wheels turning.

A five to seven stone could be gorgeous!! The diamond ring I got married with as my wedding ring was just a 9 stone. So yes I think that could be gorgeous! Do itttt!! :D

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:shock:Holy Macaroni, Girl!!:-o:-o:-o Wowsa, That's a lot of gems! I would certainly go through them all and see if you have any matched ones to make something like @MeowMeow mentioned or just something nice for your daughter. Pick out the ones that you want to keep for yourself and then ask the Sis if she wants any.. There's obviously plenty to go around, lol..:mrgreen2:

BTW, a mixed Oval color stone ring would be gorgeous.. one that starts with one color in the center with a larger stone, then graduating in smaller sizes as you go down.. Like a 5 Stone Oval Ring would be beautiful with a mix of those stones.. You would need just one main center Oval bigger than the rest.. Then 2 smaller that match in size for the next set, and then 2 more smaller ones that match in size for the next set.. Just a thought! Just have fun with them!!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
***Hint-Hint-->You have that in the first photo.. Like the Largest Purple stone, then 2 yellow stones then 2 blue stones!! (If the faceting matches, lol)

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
***Hint-Hint-->You have that in the first photo.. Like the Largest Purple stone, then 2 yellow stones then 2 blue stones!! (If the faceting matches, lol)

Funny you mention that, because we are HUGE Clemson fans, and the purple and orange stones are faceted the same. :geek2:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Funny you mention that, because we are HUGE Clemson fans, and the purple and orange stones are faceted the same. :geek2:

Wow! Who knew, :D lol.. I was envisioning what the largest purple one would look like in the center then the orange/yellow? stones one on each side of the Purple one then the blue colored ovals one on each side of the yellow/orange stones..

You could have soooo much fun with that treasure trove of stones!!:mrgreen2:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!! Brainstorm!! In that last photo, in the center baggie, it looks like those are Lapis Lazuli stones.. That Emerald Shaped Rectangular with the 2 Trillion shapes would make a DYNAMITE 3 stone ring!! Or pendant, but my vote goes to Ring!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo! Clemson grad here. That fire opal screams go tigers!

Yes!!!!! We recently moved to Louisiana and I keep telling folks they’re rooting for the WRONG TIGERS :lol-2: They’re pretty serious about LSU so some are not so thrilled with my humor.

And I agree about the fire opal. I wish it were a bit bigger so I could put a couple purple side stones with it. I may be able to do that with the larger oval citrine though! Or maybe I can dream up some kind of bracelet or pendant for game days.

Go tigers!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also have 500+ JTV gem lots that I am trying to sort through. So I totally feel you; I am totally watching this thread for ideas.

These are some of my bags, the exact same thing as yours and I also have some of the little boxes too. How are you IDing yours? Cause I am not a gem expert so I've been struggling a little.

Gems.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I also have 500+ JTV gem lots that I am trying to sort through. So I totally feel you; I am totally watching this thread for ideas.

These are some of my bags, the exact same thing as yours and I also have some of the little boxes too. How are you IDing yours? Cause I am not a gem expert so I've been struggling a little.

Gems.jpg

They’ve all just sat in the bags so I haven’t even begun to sort through them. I don’t have near as many as you, and the majority of the larger stones are in marked packaging from JTV.

What are some of your ideas for them? :geek2:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
use a refractometer to help ID the stones and store them in Gem Jars. If you find stones you like, you can order snap in settings that are in silver to wear as pendants ETC.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They’ve all just sat in the bags so I haven’t even begun to sort through them. I don’t have near as many as you, and the majority of the larger stones are in marked packaging from JTV.

What are some of your ideas for them? :geek2:
I am thinking of doing some self-set jewelry for myself and my sisters but I have so many that I couldn't possibly use them all. I am not sure whether to make a really fancy fish tank with all the really included ones or do something else.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While you could check the RI or SG to help id, that might be quite a project to check them all!

How about sorting by likely materials first - I see a bunch of purple in there thats probably amethyst, and some greens that look like peridot. Then bring out the big guns for the mystery stones :)

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Lol that’s what my stash would look like without PS. :lol-2:

A lovely mash of a necklace?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results