shape
carat
color
clarity

Wanna help me search?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for a yellow sapphire to fit into a preloved setting I bought off LT a couple months back. It has to be a round in the 8mm range (I believe the original stone was an 8.2mm but I can't find that email right this second :shock:).
I'm not in a rush or anything but this keeps me from impulsively spending my bling bank on other things. Gotta keep my head in the game. :P2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for a yellow sapphire to fit into a preloved setting I bought off LT a couple months back. It has to be a round in the 8mm range (I believe the original stone was an 8.2mm but I can't find that email right this second :shock:).
I'm not in a rush or anything but this keeps me from impulsively spending my bling bank on other things. Gotta keep my head in the game. :P2
Price range?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F00E7054-5CEB-4341-A55A-40FB41A4D996.jpeg 31DF046D-7566-43E0-93EC-B78B1FB8517D.jpeg 325F715E-3B65-43C2-93C4-AB4167438264.jpeg http://www.africagems.com/round-yellow-sapphire-gemstone-15836629.html

I'm leaning towards a lemony yellow right now but I'm open to options.

This one is nice. Do you think it would need to be recut?
(I always have a hard time interpreting his pics...everything looks so flat). :shock:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one no, I don’t think it needs a recut.
Was thinking it might be easier to find a weirdly cut one with larger diameter than what you need and have the recut done for that reason.
I have no experience with them - so feel the same about interpreting th pics!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yellow sapphire.jpg

Any thoughts on this one? It's described as a vivid medium rich pure yellow.
What do you think about the cutting? Is it just me or is that a window in the center?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like the cutting here. Can you get a handpic, and what's the return policy? I've seen high crown cuts that look like that and have no window.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B5CC20C1-066B-4C78-89BA-B539C69B22C7.jpeg
My uneducated opinion
Red circle- maybe start of tilt window? Doesn’t look like it would be too terrible tho? Or maybe the pavilion is askew?
Green triangle - pattern of triangles are interesting/attractive. It doesn't look like typical portuguese faceting?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the cutting here. Can you get a handpic, and what's the return policy? I've seen high crown cuts that look like that and have no window.
I'll reach out and ask about a hand shot. I didn't want to bother of there were any obvious reasons why it wouldn't be a good candidate. There is a return policy so I'm good there. :mrgreen2:

My uneducated opinion
Red circle- maybe start of tilt window? Doesn’t look like it would be too terrible tho? Or maybe the pavilion is askew?
Green triangle - pattern of triangles are interesting/attractive. It doesn't look like typical portuguese faceting?

Thank you! I'm terrible with stuff like that. I'm probably going to reach out for a hand shot.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for photos on the back of a hand in natural lighting those photoshopped pics on a white background aren't always a great indicator of true colour.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher , not uneducated at all! In fact you're likely spot on. This one will depending on the type of setting will probably have a smallish window. Its not cut to the tightest parameters so there you are. For someone that loves the color it will be beautiful. I call these types "donut stones" for some obvious reasons. They're not terrible and in the right setting you never notice it but.... you can't get the setting wrong.

I think it might be a plain ol mixed cut. If it was an attempt at a portuguese....maybe mixed modified portugese? ;)2

My uneducated opinion

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We were at a show a few months ago and there was a whole tray of yellow sapphires on one stall. I asked the price and the vendor replied $200/ct. I was shocked how cheap they were so I asked if they were beryllium treated, and yes they all were. I then asked if he had any that weren't treated, and he pulled one out for me to examine. It looked just the same as all the others, but was more than five times the price!!!

I guess my point is with yellow sapphires, a cert is a must.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A month or so after the conversation above DW and I took a trip to Carlsbad. We decided to drop off some things at GIA, and I thought it might be a good idea to include our yellow sapphire pendant.

Yellow Sapphire Pendant 3.jpg

Here's what came back from GIA :eek2::eek2::eek2:

8.73ct Yellow Sapphire Pendant GIA Cert.jpg

The 8.7ct yellow sapphire is set in 18K white gold and surrounded by 1.8ctw high quality diamonds. Who would ever have thought some crook would have used a Be diffused stone in that setting? We have had some big winners buying estate jewelry, but for sure this one was a loser. Lesson very definitely learned!! :cry2::mrgreen2:

@elle_71125 so sorry to hijack your thread, I do hope you don't mind too much!

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A month or so after the conversation above DW and I took a trip to Carlsbad. We decided to drop off some things at GIA, and I thought it might be a good idea to include our yellow sapphire pendant.

Yellow Sapphire Pendant 3.jpg

Here's what came back from GIA :eek2::eek2::eek2:

8.73ct Yellow Sapphire Pendant GIA Cert.jpg

The 8.7ct yellow sapphire is set in 18K white gold and surrounded by 1.8ctw high quality diamonds. Who would ever have thought some crook would have used a Be diffused stone in that setting? We have had some big winners buying estate jewelry, but for sure this one was a loser. Lesson very definitely learned!! :cry2::mrgreen2:

@elle_71125 so sorry to hijack your thread, I do hope you don't mind too much!

Oh my goodness! I hope you didn't pay too much for it. :confused2:
It's crazy because that setting looks top of the line. Why would anyone do that??? :doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results