shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage diamond- worth considering or pass?

poppins

Rough_Rock
Hi ! Hoping that you knowledgeable people will chime in. I saw vintage ring selling with an old cut diamond (cut not really specified), estimated weight 0.8. Clarity is not specified so I think it is on the lower side. I enclose à picture. I am tempted because it is mounted in a ring that I would not have to size and because of location I would not have to pay additional VAT (which adds 25% on the prince from any item from the US). As I understand it would be returnable after inspection. Price is roughly about 1300 USD. What do you think ? Yay or Nay ? If I contact the seller, what should I ask? Is there Point asking for a video of some sort ? _20190223_113115.JPG _20190223_114944.JPG

I am totally new to antiques, so your help is much appreciated!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the importance of price, but I wouldn’t let sizing a ring weigh into your decision. It is usually fairly inexpensive to do. If I’m being honest I don’t love it, but maybe you do and that is fine. It is very out of round and the culet is larger than I usually prefer. Do you like the setting? For me, it seems to detract from the diamond, but it could look that way because of the lighting in the pics. I think price should be less, maybe around $900.
If you feel comfortable sharing your country there might be PSers in the same area that can share vendor options.

poppins

Rough_Rock
Thank you [kgizo] ! Good- well, I am not really actively on the hunt for a ring right now, but stumbled across this and became a bit tickled by it. But not enough to buy it if it is not very nice, which I wasn't able to judge, really. The vendor is in the UK. This kind of input is exactly what I was looking for .

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it helped. To help you on your search the next time you find one I’ll disclose that I have stones that are out of round so that isn’t necessarily a deal breaker and can add to the charm of vintage. In this diamond I marked in blue where it looks like the diamond may have been damaged/chipped. Without a report you wouldn’t know if the diamond has a very thin girdle and is prone to more chips in the future. Best wishes on your search!
894961E1-81CD-4BF3-A294-62FC941B5AE7.jpeg

poppins

Rough_Rock
Glad it helped. To help you on your search the next time you find one I’ll disclose that I have stones that are out of round so that isn’t necessarily a deal breaker and can add to the charm of vintage. In this diamond I marked in blue where it looks like the diamond may have been damaged/chipped. Without a report you wouldn’t know if the diamond has a very thin girdle and is prone to more chips in the future. Best wishes on your search!
894961E1-81CD-4BF3-A294-62FC941B5AE7.jpeg
Thank you ! And who knows when an Oec finds its way to me . I actually think that if I seriously will get one it would have to be through trusted PS vendor. I have never seen a report on an antique stone where I am.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results