shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian ring?

starfishmomma

Rough_Rock
Hi, I bought a five-stone ruby or pink sapphire ring a while ago and I was wondering how I could tell if it really was Victorian and also is there a way to tell if stones are genuine without taking them to another jeweller?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Are there any markings inside the ring?

starfishmomma

Rough_Rock
There aren't any markings in the ring. Will any uv torches show the refraction of stones or would something more special be needed? I also have an emerald ring that I quite like and would like to check.
DSC00743.JPG DSC00746.JPG

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It’s so pretty. The shank and prongs both look in remarkably good shape to be a real antique but whether it’s old or not, enjoy it! Maybe someone else will chime in on how to determine the stones.

starfishmomma

Rough_Rock
In the way we do sometimes, I justified it. Perhaps it wasn't worn much, maybe it had been left in a box, it was from a jewellery shop so perhaps they gave it a good cleaning treatment... It's on the side of rose gold colouring - would shades of gold have been used in Victorian times?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The style is consistent with Victorian times, and they used rose gold. Still, it’s difficult to say definitively if it’s an antique as dating jewelry isn’t an exact science.

I think you need a gem tester to confirm what the stones are, and further examination by either a gemologist or lab to known if it’s synthetic or natural.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t mind more pictures! I adore that style.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results