shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium-laced corundum? Or something else?

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

First off, the caveat, obviously you cannot tell me 100% what this is, and the store I bought it from actually offered to look at it under a spectrometer when I bring it back for sizing. It was placed with amethyst but due to the color change it's definitely not amethyst. Two of the store employees took it back and looked at it for a while but couldn't figure out what it was. I know, I know, a bad sign, but (shrug)

It changes from a clear blue to a soft lavender violet. I know that color change sapphires in this size (approx 2ct) and relative color spectrum EXIST, but I'm not hedging on that. I tried to take pictures to the best of my ability, but as we know this is a struggle with color change gems. I am going to have it sized, and I will take them up on their offer to have it looked at by a gemologist; I'm sure if it ends up being something more or less worthless I will be able to get a refund; they are a great store. Anyway, pictures! Your thoughts are appreciated.

ETA: it's also definitely not a true lab alexandrite; I have one of those and (deep purple to greenish purple to vivid pink) it looks nothing like this.
IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0587.jpg . IMG_0586.jpg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Some blue-violet colour change is nearly inevitable in much of blue sapphire - either from a kink in the absorbtion spectrum or from pleochroism, or both (off the top of my head). I am jotting this down quickly (no refernces - forshame!) to mention that a beautiful example of the letter is to be found amog the older Instagrams by Earth Trasury. I have just noticed this older post of theirs, among many others...

Thinking out loud

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Could it be color change fluorite? The blue-purple shift looks like it to me but I have never seen fluorite in real life.
https://www.ajsgem.com/gemstone-information/color-change-fluorite-102.html

https://www.gemselect.com/other-info/seeing-color-change-fluorite-gems.php
It could be, although the tones of the blue/purple shifting ones they show there are more saturated and pure hues than my stone is. I also question that because the ring is from the 1930s and I think color change fluorite is a more recent discovery than that?

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
It could be, although the tones of the blue/purple shifting ones they show there are more saturated and pure hues than my stone is. I also question that because the ring is from the 1930s and I think color change fluorite is a more recent discovery than that?

It's worth remembering that just because the ring is from the 30s doesn't mean the stone is. Have the jewellers tested it with a presidium tester? Could be a sapphire.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Could it be color change fluorite?

RI is higher - guessing from play of light.
I'd assume synthetic spinel or sapphire & have a lab report.

-

Digressing re. Fluorite: this place is accross town & have not been yet! www

Last edited:

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it is double refraction, it cannot be spinel. However. It is beautiful ring.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it’s very pretty but I’m 99% sure it is a synthetic.
There’s a number of variations of “Synthetic Alexandrite” or “colour change gems” including that blue to mauve purple colour change. It’s either man made Spinel or Sapphire. Unfortunately a Presidum gem tester doesn’t distinguish between natural and grown in the lab gems so you can’t rely on that test. It can tell you if it’s CZ but not much else.
The best way to be sure is send it to a lab.
And synthetics have been around over a century and the age of a setting is no guarantee as it’s a simply matter to change gems in settings.

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Hi, it’s very pretty but I’m 99% sure it is a synthetic.
There’s a number of variations of “Synthetic Alexandrite” or “colour change gems” including that blue to mauve purple colour change. It’s either man made Spinel or Sapphire. Unfortunately a Presidum gem tester doesn’t distinguish between natural and grown in the lab gems so you can’t rely on that test. It can tell you if it’s CZ but not much else.
The best way to be sure is send it to a lab.
And synthetics have been around over a century and the age of a setting is no guarantee as it’s a simply matter to change gems in settings.
That was my fear; it's very, very pretty but if it's a synthetic it's definitely not worth the price I paid for it as the resale value will be much lower. I will probably look into returning it. Thank you for your help :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you truly love the ring, you don’t have to love it less just because it’s a synthetic. Plenty of us have jewellery set with a man made gem that we love even though it’s not “mined from the earth”.
What you do have to do though is pay a fair price.
You don’t want to be paying “sapphire” price ie over a thousand dollars, but $200- $400 isn’t an unreasonable price for a lovely colored stone gold ring (it is gold or Platinum?) even if lab grown.
And just to add, that Victorian / Art Nouveau ring style is currently replicated (it’s such a beautiful style) so you can’t rely on “appearance” to gauge age.
So don’t feel compelled to return it unless you paid much more than it’s truly worth.

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
If you truly love the ring, you don’t have to love it less just because it’s a synthetic. Plenty of us have jewellery set with a man made gem that we love even though it’s not “mined from the earth”.
What you do have to do though is pay a fair price.
You don’t want to be paying “sapphire” price ie over a thousand dollars, but $200- $400 isn’t an unreasonable price for a lovely colored stone gold ring (it is gold or Platinum?) even if lab grown.
And just to add, that Victorian / Art Nouveau ring style is currently replicated (it’s such a beautiful style) so you can’t rely on “appearance” to gauge age.
So don’t feel compelled to return it unless you paid much more than it’s truly worth.
Oh yes, I agree; my "engagement" ring is a lab alexandrite. I have nothing against synthetic stones! Unfortunately in this case, the ring was priced as if it were a natural stone, and I don't think the store actually deals in synthetics. It is 18k white gold but that alone obviously isn't enough to justify the ring being priced as though it carries a natural sapphire.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the store will accept a return for full refund if it’s not natural, you could always send it to the AGS. They will do a gem brief on a mounted (set) gem for under $100. That way if it is natural you can rejoice, if not return for full refund.
These days there are just so many excellent “replicas” of natural gems right down to the same chemical composition and they are also endeavoring to create “natural looking inclusions” in them that it’s really not wise to buy any gem over 1 carat without a proper lab report.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
My first thought upon seeing it was synthetic also. Sorry!

It is a beautiful ring though and all that matters is if you love it or not!
If the store is as easy with returns as you explained then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck! And love the hair btw!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results