shape
carat
color
clarity

VS2 stone with a carbon spot, will it be eyeclean?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
87A7A461-A0B5-452F-9D82-AB8A0201F030.jpeg It’s a GIA VS2 and the price seems good for the size (2.3 ct) but this spot seems like an issue...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly with it over 2 carats and what is your definition of eye clean?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won’t see any inclusions no matter what.

I hear ya!:wink2:

You would probably have to ask for an opinion or take the chance and see it in person and send back if you have to. It’s hopefull in a good spot and will be disguised with scintillation etc

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya!:wink2:

You would probably have to ask for an opinion or take the chance and see it in person and send back if you have to. It’s hopefull in a good spot and will be disguised with scintillation etc

I won’t lie, I’m worried about tying up almost $10k if I don’t like it... I’ll have to think about that one.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won’t lie, I’m worried about tying up almost $10k if I don’t like it... I’ll have to think about that one.

Who is the vendor and are you in the states? I definitely wouldn’t do cash if you think there is a chance of returning it.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Who is the vendor and are you in the states? I definitely wouldn’t do cash if you think there is a chance of returning it.

B2C. Their wire price is lower so I was considering going that way in case I do like it... but at the same time I know that I’d have no recourse if anything were to go wrong. They seem reputable but I have no first hand experience with them...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B2C. Their wire price is lower so I was considering going that way in case I do like it... but at the same time I know that I’d have no recourse if anything were to go wrong. They seem reputable but I have no first hand experience with them...

Oh I love B2C. I wasn’t thinking if they closed.... I was thinking about the 7-10 days of waiting to get the money back. Their wire prices are especially attractive...

@cflutist I don’t know if you are back yet, but what is your opinion? @rockysalamander @diamondseeker2006 @mrs-b @kgizo

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love B2C. I wasn’t thinking if they closed.... I was thinking about the 7-10 days of waiting to get the money back. Their wire prices are especially attractive...

@cflutist I don’t know if you are back yet, but what is your opinion? @rockysalamander @diamondseeker2006 @mrs-b @kgizo

Have you purchased from them before?

Part of me is thinking maybe I should just wait til Whiteflash is in the budget (for the size I want) but I’m also impatient...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Part of me is thinking maybe I should just wait til Whiteflash is in the budget (for the size I want) but I’m also impatient...

Yes, I have purchased:
.50 ctw heart diamond they made a custom bezel setting for
1.2 carat M color faint brown I put in their cheapest basket solitaire setting
2 thin stacking wedding bands

Maybe something else I can’t recall. It was very easy, though you do speak with a different person each step of the way.

I love their sale section under jewelry. Each band was about $200

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, you can always start smaller with Whiteflash and upgrade up. I’m likely doing this with my .64 CBI. I put it in a Stuller setting that is scroll band with the solstice peg head. This way, I only have to change out the head as I grow the diamond.

But with superideals, they have such presence that I’m really liking this .64 size believe it or not. It seems like a really nice size.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Well, you can always start smaller with Whiteflash and upgrade up. I’m likely doing this with my .64 CBI. I put it in a Stuller setting that is scroll band with the solstice peg head. This way, I only have to change out the head as I grow the diamond.

But with superideals, they have such presence that I’m really liking this .64 size believe it or not. It seems like a really nice size.

That's what I love about them! I'm so indecisive that I figured it's probably worth it for me to pay extra for one of their diamonds... Then I'd have more flexibility too. But their prices do feel steep and I think that might be a bit more waiting.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I bought two stones from B2C Jewels in May. I returned one with no problems at all (kept the other diamond). I worked with the same person throughout the process. I paid via bank wire both times. My refund came within 5 days (then the bank put a hold on the funds until they cleared....I think that is standard practice for large deposits). I think B2C should be able to tell you if this diamond is eye clean.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll need to get it in hand to tell. For inclusions, I prefer small spots like this because they're so contained / limited; they're so often hidden in a facet line and just look like part of the cut.

But if what you want is eye clean under any condition, you'll need to go cleaner than VS2. 'Eye clean' normally means 'at normal viewing distance' - around 10". If you're going to stare at it right under your nose, or with a loupe, you'll need to go to the VVS level to be really sure.

ETA This inclusion wouldn't bother me at all, and I like a nice clean stone. This seems to be the *only* visible mark in it, and is much less obvious, in my opinion, that a feather or a cloud.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like B2C a lot. I wouldn't be bothered at all by this stone, because it looks incredibly clean other than this small spot and I wouldn't be looking at it right under my nose or with a loupe all the time. But if you don't ever want to be able to see inclusions no matter what (even if you are putting your nose right up to it), then I'm not 100% sure it would be eye clean. But I would still order it to see it if I were you.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The inclusion is the size of dust.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I bought two stones from B2C Jewels in May. I returned one with no problems at all (kept the other diamond). I worked with the same person throughout the process. I paid via bank wire both times. My refund came within 5 days (then the bank put a hold on the funds until they cleared....I think that is standard practice for large deposits). I think B2C should be able to tell you if this diamond is eye clean.

That's good to hear! They're so well priced I, I browse their website pretty often lol.

You'll need to get it in hand to tell. For inclusions, I prefer small spots like this because they're so contained / limited; they're so often hidden in a facet line and just look like part of the cut.

But if what you want is eye clean under any condition, you'll need to go cleaner than VS2. 'Eye clean' normally means 'at normal viewing distance' - around 10". If you're going to stare at it right under your nose, or with a loupe, you'll need to go to the VVS level to be really sure.

ETA This inclusion wouldn't bother me at all, and I like a nice clean stone. This seems to be the *only* visible mark in it, and is much less obvious, in my opinion, that a feather or a cloud.

That's good to know. I always thought VS2 & higher would always be eye clean until I saw this stone. I have some other "eye clean" diamonds with very hard to spot inclusions. It bothers me every time I look at them because now that's all I can see... Given B2C's less generous upgrade policy I might just look for something with a higher clarity. I appreciate your insight!

The inclusion is the size of dust.

True, the enlarged photos always throw me off.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you happy with the cut? Looks to have a shallower crown/ high pav combo.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Are you happy with the cut? Looks to have a shallower crown/ high pav combo.

It scored a 0.9 on the HCA so I figured it was prob good enough for me.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think the inclusion would bother me, but I’m not hung up on mind clean or loupe clean stones. For me it is more about a pleasing facet pattern. If you get it come back and let us know your thoughts.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not crazy about those proportions.

59 table, 60.2 depth, 34 crown and 40.6 pavilion

It appears to be borderline and will depend on the cut and symmetry precision. By chance, have you asked B2C to furnish ASET, IS and H&A images?

This is nearly a 60/60 stone, and because of the larger table and shallower crown, this stone will produce more white light return as opposed to bold rainbow flashes that people generally prefer.

Also, have you seen a video of this yet, or does B2C have in stock? I'm curious how the internal graining and fluorescence interact with each other. I want to make sure it's not producing a hazy or cloudy look.

Alas, I noticed it's a K with faint brown tint. I like brown tint but many don't. Are you okay with it? Was you aware there is a difference, and have you seen some before? This isn't bad or good but just a preference tou need to be sure about before buying.

Screenshot_20190824-164541_Sheets.jpg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I'm not crazy about those proportions.

59 table, 60.2 depth, 34 crown and 40.6 pavilion

It appears to be borderline and will depend on the cut and symmetry precision. By chance, have you asked B2C to furnish ASET, IS and H&A images?

This is nearly a 60/60 stone, and because of the larger table and shallower crown, this stone will produce more white light return as opposed to bold rainbow flashes that people generally prefer.

Also, have you seen a video of this yet, or does B2C have in stock? I'm curious how the internal graining and fluorescence interact with each other. I want to make sure it's not producing a hazy or cloudy look.

Alas, I noticed it's a K with faint brown tint. I like brown tint but many don't. Are you okay with it? Was you are there is a difference, and have you seen some before? This isn't bad or good but just a preference tou need to be sure about before buying.

Screenshot_20190824-164541_Sheets.jpg

Good thing I asked! The HCA tool had it noted as excellent for everything so I figured it must be good enough.

B2C has a video only. Here is the link: https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/128861...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

I currently have a 1.3 ct K colored diamond (brown tint) so the color doesn’t bug me. I’m not color sensitive.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally think a carbon spot in a VS2 would be worth the risk, I have a very pretty inverted stone and I can EASILY see the carbon spot with magnification so it would not be even close to a VS2, but I can’t see it at all without magnification and I’ve also made a number of people look and they’ve found nothing too!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I personally think a carbon spot in a VS2 would be worth the risk, I have a very pretty inverted stone and I can EASILY see the carbon spot with magnification so it would not be even close to a VS2, but I can’t see it at all without magnification and I’ve also made a number of people look and they’ve found nothing too!

Now I’m worried about the cut! This would all be easier if I were a more decisive person...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
%The enlarged photo of the diamond is very magnified. The size of the black sport is going to be really rather small. That spot will never be readily eye-visible. Possibly, a very close sighted person who has the time to stare into the diamond very close up might claim they can see it, but they will be about the only person who might say that. How eye-clean is eye-clean enough? Using the normal definition of what is eye-clean, such as the Whiteflash definition, I'd think you are realistically safe. If for some reason you don't love the diamond, likely it won't be because there is a black spot you can't take your eye away from. I don't see any other problem of importance. Looks like a good risk to take if you feel the value and cutting is pushing you to give it a try.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
B2C will provide ASET and IS images if the supplier offers them. Have you asked?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
%The enlarged photo of the diamond is very magnified. The size of the black sport is going to be really rather small. That spot will never be readily eye-visible. Possibly, a very close sighted person who has the time to stare into the diamond very close up might claim they can see it, but they will be about the only person who might say that. How eye-clean is eye-clean enough? Using the normal definition of what is eye-clean, such as the Whiteflash definition, I'd think you are realistically safe. If for some reason you don't love the diamond, likely it won't be because there is a black spot you can't take your eye away from. I don't see any other problem of importance. Looks like a good risk to take if you feel the value and cutting is pushing you to give it a try.

Thank you for your insight!

B2C will provide ASET and IS images if the supplier offers them. Have you asked?

I have not. I found a 1.7 ct diamond (also K colored & VS2) for a little more. Now I'm pondering that one... With B2C's diamond that will likely be all for me. With Whiteflash I could (and would) slow upgrade to my preferred size...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW There is an inclusion kind of like that near the girdle of my diamond and I can't see it with my naked eye at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very late to the discussion, but the fact that you would consider upgrading makes it much more desirable to buy from WhiteFlash. B2C is fine for a stone one knows they will never upgrade, but this stone would not be a ring stone for me. I'd consider it for a pendant possibly. I prefer the ideal cut specs that the superideals have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results