shape
carat
color
clarity

Update & Request for Dust

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not really a regular poster, especially in recent years. Life, work, kids, doing my masters... I've been kept pretty busy. But I still check in from time to time, and am always delighted when I see my favourite PSers are still around.

I don't know if anyone around still remembers me, but I live in South Africa. It's beautiful and it will always hold a special place in my heart, but it's time to move on. My husband and I have signed a contract with a migration agent and have submitted an application for my husband's qualifications and employment history to be assessed by VETASSESS with a view to moving to Australia.

Unfortunately, what my husband actually does is not on the skills shortage list. So we are having him assessed as a research and development manager. This does form part of his role, but it is not his primary focus. It is a bit of a stretch. We are confident that his PhD will be positively assessed but there is some uncertainty about his nominated occupation. We need a positive assessment to apply.

In order to get enough points to apply for a nomination, we need him to get pretty much full marks for his English language test (scheduled for 23 October). My husband speaks English perfectly but he is a scientist not a language person, and even English teachers sometimes experience difficulty with the test. Further, his mother was Dutch, his father is Afrikaans, and until he started his postgrad, his education was primarily in Afrikaans. So again, this will not be easy.

And finally, my husband turns 45 in May next year, so we need to submit an "expression of interest" to Australia by the end of this year and hope we are issued an invitation to apply before he turns 45, as that is their cutoff.

Not asking for much are we?

So here I am. Reaching out to my PS friends and requesting some dust, if you have any to spare?

Has anyone here been through this process? What was your experience like? Do you have any words of wisdom to share?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back, Trekkie. I don't have any experience with what your family is trying to achieve, but wishing you all the best. Sending loads of PS dust for application approval.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Good luck to both of you and I hope it works out. Australia has quite a stringent immigration policy.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome back, Trekkie. I don't have any experience with what your family is trying to achieve, but wishing you all the best. Sending loads of PS dust for application approval.

Thank you very much!

Wow! Good luck to both of you and I hope it works out. Australia has quite a stringent immigration policy.

Yes, they do. My husband lived in Australia 13 years ago, and I was fortunate enough to visit nine years ago. We love it there.

If we don’t get into Australia our Plan B is New Zealand. But Australia would be first choice!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of positive thoughts and best wishes that everything works out @Trekkie!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sending good thoughts your way! I know it is nerve wracking!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Much dust and success to you! You can also try Canada! (too cold lol?)

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking about you the other day! So glad you checked in!

Sending lots of dust that your husband passes easily and you get your first choice.

How is your school going?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Trekkie-

I don't feel as if you ever left! I wish you good luck with Australia, but from what I have read, it would be too hot for me! New Zealand sounds wonderful. Is it easier to enter than Australia? And the west coast of Canada is not as frigid as the east coast. You still have some Mediterranean climate influencing matters. I don't know about rain, though. Going by the Pacific northwest of the US, there might be a lot of rain in British Columbia. (Does anyone know offhand?) Too bad the US (which has some areas with good climate) is politically so miserable! Is it hard for people from South Africa to enter?

Since you love Australia, I am sending you dust!

AGBF :wavey:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Sending lots of positive thoughts and best wishes that everything works out @Trekkie!

Thank you very much!

Sending good thoughts your way! I know it is nerve wracking!

Thank you! It is terrible! Have you emigrated? How did you survive?!

HI:

Much dust and success to you! You can also try Canada! (too cold lol?)

cheers--Sharon

Not enough points to go without a job lined up. :(

He’ll be 45 soon, so we’ve left this rather late. We both lived overseas when we were younger and chose to come back to SA. We kept thinking things would get better, and kept trying to work towards that change. “Be the change you wish to see” and all that. We had a scare a couple of years ago (I was shot at by police during student protests at the university I work for) but then things calmed down for a bit, and we thought the worst was over. Then our former president (he of the rape trial and the $25mil palace) was recalled by his party and a new president took his place and we were elated.

But things are worse now than ever before. So here we are, trying to make the move and desperately hoping we have enough time.

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Have you emigrated? How did you survive?!

Hi =)2 I'm only new on PS but I've migrated to Australia. Dutch is my native language, I understand what you're going through (sort of). I have an Australian partner so it's a little different but I'm happy to help if you have any questions or anything.

Wish you lots of luck, positive thoughts it works out for you and come say hi when it does :mrgreen2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I’m Australian. There is a govt website IELTS.com.au that offer practice tests and samples of the actual test papers for practice.
There are also a number of companies that offer online study material and practice tests for money. The prices are reasonable.
I think there is merit in doing as many of these sample and practice tests as possible in so much as they prepare you for the style and format of the testing.
I had a quick peruse and nothing seems too difficult though English is my strength.
Your husband will require a band 6 pass, that isn’t 100% btw, it’s actually 90% plus.
The tests don’t appear to concentrate on formal language techniques or grammar, more a broad ability to comprehend written passage and understand the content and to use an extensive English vocabulary in the written component.
If your husband can confidently and effectively communicate in English I think he will be fine. My interpretation of the tests is that they are trying to sort out those who have “learnt English by rote” and haven’t used it as an active language in real life.
You’ll love Australia.
Sending you dust (we have lots of that here ha ha).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been in that situation but lots of positive dust from this corner of the earth!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not migrated myself, but my husband did. He came to live permanently in the United States after having being raised and educated through the university level in Italy. He came to the US for several years after he finished his university education in Italy and earned two advanced degrees in the United States, but then returned to Europe (Italy then France) to work. I am mentioning this because when we got married we discussed where to live and I wanted to live in the United States to be near my family. (We had been in France.) He suggested the UK because it would have my native tongue but be closer to his family and world. I was really surprised that after all the years that he had lived in the US that he had any qualms about moving here permanently, but he did. Migrating is a big decision. It is a big emotional leap, not like taking a job abroad for a few years.

About four years ago my niece's husband immigrated to the US from Senegal via Spain. It was a huge adjustment for him, but he never complained. He did not speak more than a few words-very few-of English when he came here. He came legally on a fiancé visa and always lived and worked legally. He was a mechanic by trade, but since he didn't speak English, he worked at first only on the loading dock at Macy's. (Although he was from Senegal where he spoke a native dialect and French, he had lived in Spain for many years and his Spanish helped him to work on the loading docks.) Now his English is fluent and he has been made the manager of a Valvoline where my niece is in graduate school getting her Ph.D.

If you want another story, I have a great-nephew who came here from Israel as an adult after doing his military service and worked his way through college as a mover. He now has a master's degree in computer web design. Novartis, his former employer, paid for him to get his green card and paid for him to get the master's degree because he was so valuable as a scientist with the degree in biotechnology he earned on his own being a mover. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DUST, Dust and more Dust!

Last edited:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi =)2 I'm only new on PS but I've migrated to Australia. Dutch is my native language, I understand what you're going through (sort of). I have an Australian partner so it's a little different but I'm happy to help if you have any questions or anything.

Wish you lots of luck, positive thoughts it works out for you and come say hi when it does :mrgreen2:

Oh yay! Congratulations on your move! So exciting to hear from someone who went through the process! Are you enjoying Australia?

Hi, I’m Australian. There is a govt website IELTS.com.au that offer practice tests and samples of the actual test papers for practice.
There are also a number of companies that offer online study material and practice tests for money. The prices are reasonable.
I think there is merit in doing as many of these sample and practice tests as possible in so much as they prepare you for the style and format of the testing.
I had a quick peruse and nothing seems too difficult though English is my strength.
Your husband will require a band 6 pass, that isn’t 100% btw, it’s actually 90% plus.
The tests don’t appear to concentrate on formal language techniques or grammar, more a broad ability to comprehend written passage and understand the content and to use an extensive English vocabulary in the written component.
If your husband can confidently and effectively communicate in English I think he will be fine. My interpretation of the tests is that they are trying to sort out those who have “learnt English by rote” and haven’t used it as an active language in real life.
You’ll love Australia.
Sending you dust (we have lots of that here ha ha).

Thank you sooooo much for this super detailed reply! R&D Manager is on the supplemental list for South Australia. An applicant needs 80 points to access an occupation on this list. DH has
15 for age, 15 for work experience, 20 for his Phd and 10 state sponsorship points (489 visa), so a total of 60 points. For him to get the 80 points required to access that list, he'll need 20 points for English. sad :(( We've watched the YouTube tutorials and downloaded practice tests and he does well in all categories but one. His English is really good (better than mine, lol) and most people are surprised when they learn it's not his first/only language, but the test is tricky. He is doing Pearson because IELTS takes too long to release the results - we're hoping to lodge an EOI by the first week of November. :errrr:

DH lived in WA (Perth and Albany) years ago and loved it. When I visited in 2009 I didn't want to leave - it's so beautiful and so clean and everyone recycles and the weather is great and everything works. I was blown away. You are so lucky to live there.

Thank you so much for the dust!!

I've never been in that situation but lots of positive dust from this corner of the earth!

Thank you sooo much!! <3
I have not migrated myself, but my husband did. He came to live permanently in the United States after having being raised and educated through the university level in Italy. He came to the US for several years after he finished his university education in Italy and earned two advanced degrees in the United States, but then returned to Europe (Italy then France) to work. I am mentioning this because when we got married we discussed where to live and I wanted to live in the United States to be near my family. (We had been in France.) He suggested the UK because it would have my native tongue but be closer to his family and world. I was really surprised that after all the years that he had lived in the US that he had any qualms about moving here permanently, but he did. Migrating is a big decision. It is a big emotional leap, not like taking a job abroad for a few years.

About four years ago my niece's husband immigrated to the US from Senegal via Spain. It was a huge adjustment for him, but he never complained. He did not speak more than a few words-very few-of English when he came here. He came legally on a fiancé visa and always lived and worked legally. He was a mechanic by trade, but since he didn't speak English, he worked at first only on the loading dock at Macy's. (Although he was from Senegal where he spoke a native dialect and French, he had lived in Spain for many years and his Spanish helped him to work on the loading docks.) Now his English is fluent and he has been made the manager of a Valvoline where my niece is in graduate school getting her Ph.D.

If you want another story, I have a great-nephew who came here from Israel as an adult after doing his military service and worked his way through college as a mover. He now has a master's degree in computer web design. Novartis, his former employer, paid for him to get his green card and paid for him to get the master's degree because he was so valuable as a scientist with the degree in biotechnology he earned on his own being a mover. :))

Thank you so much for both your detailed replies! We had a look at the US and while it ticks so many boxes for us, we think Australia would be a better fit for our family. The city we are looking at is actually not nearly as warm as the one we live in now! Also has fewer creepy crawlies, so that's a win! :D

I've realised I need six things in life to be happy: my children to feel safe, clean running water, reliable electricity, good roads, cricket and the metric system. The US scores 4/6, so still a contender but Oz is a solid 6/6! :mrgreen:

As you say, it is a big decision and we can only do this once, so we want to tick as many boxes as possible. :D

DUST, Dust and more Dust!

Thank you very, very much! You know I have always looked up to you for your own migration journey, so this means a lot to me. <3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Trekkie sending you bucketloads of PS good luck dust!!!! And (((hugs)))). I know leaving your home isn't easy and I am sorry it has come to this. It's a crazy world. Keeping you and your dh in my thoughts and prayers.

GOODLUCKDUST.GIF

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lots and lots of dust.

Could you ask arround amoung people you know about how long the application process usually takes? Does he need to be <45 at the time of submission, or at the point of consideration? I dont mean to offend anyone, but I feel like Australia is not the fastest at processing paper work.

(I mean they're all slow no matter who you're dealing with, but sometimes I do think Aussie could err be a little faster. They almost got my daughter deported from singapore earlier this year (I had a 6 week window (plus up to 4 additional weeks grace period) to register her birth, get a birth certificate, apply for her Aussie citizenship and then get her passport issued in Australia and dispatched to Singapore. The Australian embassy made me wait 4 weeks just to get an appointment to talk to them about applying for a passport. I believe it took another 3-4 weeks for the passport to arrive. I came close to begging for her not to be deported without any travel documents -- not that begging would have helped, but I had a gut renching moment where it looked like they were going to kick her out of singapore, and I didnt know what else to do.). I also think my parents ended up writting to their local member of parliment to try to resolve my sister-in-law's migration case a year or two ago, because it was taking a surprisingly long time. My family was pretty convinced the application went into a protracted que, and was therefore not looked at for some time. I dont know, this may be par for the course everywhere (when my husband lost his passport in japan, I watched the NZ consulate in tokyo tell him with a completely straight face that they couldnt issue temporary travel documents because they were having font problems and Wellington was uncontactable due to a local public holiday.... it was sureal, they were all dressed up in suits, in a swanky embassy, and they were super serious, not a hint of a smile as they said we needed to come back next week because the font on their computers/printer didnt work. I feel like theyre all sureal to deal with no matter whoes goverment your talking to. But I am sometimes gobsmacked by their time frames.).

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wishing you and your DH luck trekkie!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
@Trekkie sending you bucketloads of PS good luck dust!!!! And (((hugs)))). I know leaving your home isn't easy and I am sorry it has come to this. It's a crazy world. Keeping you and your dh in my thoughts and prayers.

GOODLUCKDUST.GIF

It is a crazy world indeed! Hoping the move (regardless of where we end up) will give me the kind of crazy I can live with. :)

Thank you for the dust and prayers!

Lots and lots of dust.

Could you ask arround amoung people you know about how long the application process usually takes? Does he need to be <45 at the time of submission, or at the point of consideration? I dont mean to offend anyone, but I feel like Australia is not the fastest at processing paper work.

(I mean they're all slow no matter who you're dealing with, but sometimes I do think Aussie could err be a little faster. They almost got my daughter deported from singapore earlier this year (I had a 6 week window (plus up to 4 additional weeks grace period) to register her birth, get a birth certificate, apply for her Aussie citizenship and then get her passport issued in Australia and dispatched to Singapore. The Australian embassy made me wait 4 weeks just to get an appointment to talk to them about applying for a passport. I believe it took another 3-4 weeks for the passport to arrive. I came close to begging for her not to be deported without any travel documents -- not that begging would have helped, but I had a gut renching moment where it looked like they were going to kick her out of singapore, and I didnt know what else to do.). I also think my parents ended up writting to their local member of parliment to try to resolve my sister-in-law's migration case a year or two ago, because it was taking a surprisingly long time. My family was pretty convinced the application went into a protracted que, and was therefore not looked at for some time. I dont know, this may be par for the course everywhere (when my husband lost his passport in japan, I watched the NZ consulate in tokyo tell him with a completely straight face that they couldnt issue temporary travel documents because they were having font problems and Wellington was uncontactable due to a local public holiday.... it was sureal, they were all dressed up in suits, in a swanky embassy, and they were super serious, not a hint of a smile as they said we needed to come back next week because the font on their computers/printer didnt work. I feel like theyre all sureal to deal with no matter whoes goverment your talking to. But I am sometimes gobsmacked by their time frames.).

Wow! That sounds intense! So glad it is all sorted. I think bureaucrats everywhere enjoy their bureaucracy.

I’ve clearly been living in Africa too long because those timeframes seem impossibly fast to me! My grandmother waited over a year for her new passport and my friend waited 10 months for her daughter’s birth certificate!

DH needs to be 44 when he receives the invitation to apply. Processing times are currently 12-16 weeks from when you lodge your EOI. He becomes ineligible the day he turns 45. That’s seven months away and we are kicking ourselves for leaving it so late. In our defence the cutoff used to be 50 - it changed earlier this year.

Thank you so much for the dust - hope to see you on the other side!

Wishing you and your DH luck trekkie!

Thank you very much!

DH’s skills assessment was sent today, so hopefully they will start processing it tomorrow.

So much anxiety dealing with this. Especially because it’s all on a maybe. That’s the part that is most difficult for me. It’s all a maybe. But I guess all I can do is have faith.

Thank you all for giving me the space to process all of this.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That sounds intense! So glad it is all sorted. I think bureaucrats everywhere enjoy their bureaucracy.

I’ve clearly been living in Africa too long because those timeframes seem impossibly fast to me! My grandmother waited over a year for her new passport and my friend waited 10 months for her daughter’s birth certificate!

DH needs to be 44 when he receives the invitation to apply. Processing times are currently 12-16 weeks from when you lodge your EOI. He becomes ineligible the day he turns 45. That’s seven months away and we are kicking ourselves for leaving it so late. In our defence the cutoff used to be 50 - it changed earlier this year.

Thank you so much for the dust - hope to see you on the other side!

Thank you very much!

DH’s skills assessment was sent today, so hopefully they will start processing it

Oh that is good, with that kind of margin you should be perfectly ok.

I had heard south african passports had extreme turn arround times. I think they're all glacially slow, and sometimes I have a hard time understanding why the process was protracted to the extent it was. But I have to admit everything worked out in retrospect, it just looks like walking a very fine line at some stages during the interim.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking about you the other day! So glad you checked in!

Sending lots of dust that your husband passes easily and you get your first choice.

How is your school going?

Can't believe I missed your post, I'm so sorry!

Thank you very much. I hope we do too. NZ is also a great option and we are very lucky to have these choices and at least with NZ we would have family nearby (I have two brothers in NZ, both married with kids) but Australia is the dream.

School is going really well! I can't believe I'm nearly halfway!

I saw your post on another thread about your stepdaughter. I was wondering how you guys were doing. Big hugs. Not easy. <3

Oh that is good, with that kind of margin you should be perfectly ok.

I had heard south african passports had extreme turn arround times. I think they're all glacially slow, and sometimes I have a hard time understanding why the process was protracted to the extent it was. But I have to admit everything worked out in retrospect, it just looks like walking a very fine line at some stages during the interim.

Yeah, South Africa is beautiful but sometimes the bureaucracy is unbelievable!

I know what you mean, it's almost as if people enjoy playing power games with you!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
PERFECT SCORE FOR HIS ENGLISH TEST!!! :appl::appl::appl:

14325267-E514-4234-BC99-0DDEE06ADB68.jpeg

What a relief!!

Now we just wait for the outcome of his skills assessment, which we should receive by Monday.

Thank you so much PS family for your dust!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - that's AWESOME!!

I'm Australian - currently living in the US for my husband's work, but returning in about 3 years. I hope you're able to tick all the boxes and emigrate, @Trekkie; it's not known as 'the God Zone' (ie God's own country) for nothing!

Wishing you every success with your plans. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PERFECT SCORE FOR HIS ENGLISH TEST!!! :appl::appl::appl:

14325267-E514-4234-BC99-0DDEE06ADB68.jpeg

What a relief!!

Now we just wait for the outcome of his skills assessment, which we should receive by Monday.

Thank you so much PS family for your dust!

Woohoo!!! Congratulations!!!!

congrats.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished reading The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith today. I may never get closer to Africa than "Sandy's" books, but they are wonderful. My niece, who loves Africa, has come to love his books, too, even though they were hardly the kind of book she usually read. They must capture something of Africa!

AGBF

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing news! Congratulations to your husband.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Keeping fingers crossed for you and your family.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news! Congratulations to dh! Sending good thoughts that things continue going well!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such fantastic news! Keeping everything crossed for the next lot of results!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results