shape
carat
color
clarity

Understanding ASET

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
If it’s been said that CBI appears to offer more consistency in its diamonds, why does there seem to be more variability in the ASET as compared to WF ACA
Is there something I’m reading wrong?

75F8898C-6BA5-4F0A-ADA5-E1F9E0F91216.jpeg

438B5410-5444-48D9-AAA6-E01773E7729B.jpeg D45E5DE7-9CB2-4E38-BA3F-9769DA3FB043.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps @Wink might be best placed to advise on this!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested to hear @Wink and/or @John Pollard's response as well.

First and foremost, I do not think you are seeing anything detrimental or to worry about. I believe it's just photography issues due to scope types used, background colors/lighting and general lighting controls.

That said, one thing that immediately jumps out to me is WF utilizes a black background on their ASET's as evidenced in a random ASET I pulled from their website. The above images from CBI are done utilizing a white background.

While I believe it can be easier to detect leakage, etc with a white background, I also think it slightly over exaggerates it as well (notice how you get some light pinks/whitish areas under the tables of the CBI stones).

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104102612016-aset-151970.jpg

Also, not to start linking lots of WF literature here but I find this particular article useful in trying to understand these differences as it shows different types of ASET devices that can be used in photography.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/about-aset.htm

When trying to understand the discrepancy you see in the arrows, it's important to understand that to see arrows you have to create head obstruction at just the right distance so the arrows show up as they do. In a normal picture when you find perfection, they show up as dark arrows which many can attest is hard to photograph.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/diamond-photos-why-are-there.htm

diamond-photos.jpg

Additionally we have seen situations where the color of a phone case, or camera reflects back onto the arrows. Here is a great example where the pictures are rather magnificent but there are imperfections in the distance, background colors, etc.

c41b24f5-5a16-47a1-93b7-3e2eefea8d69-jpeg.663505

See how some of the arrows are different colors? This caused from an issue of lighting control. While this particular reference was in regards to idealscope images and appears way over exaggerated, I think the overall point is still valid here.

https://ideal-scope.com/taking-ideal-scope-photo/

Capture.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After my lengthy post above, I wanted to be extra clear that I do not think you have any issues to be concerned about on the images you provided. CBI has a stellar reputation for providing top quality cut stones and if by any small margin you weren't happy I have no doubt that HPD and CBI would bend over backwards to make it right with you.

They are truly good people who make some of the best diamonds available in the world. Their reputation amongst their customers and this community is absolutely rock solid.

I would have ZERO issues buying from HPD/CBI.

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
@sledge thks for the ever so educational post. As I won’t be able to view it, and it’s still a large purchase, just wanted to be sure.
Plus we all know that if I have to return it for whatever reason, oh the buearacacy I have to go through claiming back GST

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thks for the ever so educational post. As I won’t be able to view it, and it’s still a large purchase, just wanted to be sure.
Plus we all know that if I have to return it for whatever reason, oh the buearacacy I have to go through claiming back GST
Call and talk with @Wink or @LaylaR. They can explain the imaging.

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
Winks has indicated its the poor photography equipment and camera envy of others...

Reactions: AV_

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stray light getting into the scope.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's true. I do have camera envy of some of my friends and competitors. We at HPD are working on solutions to the photography with CBI, as they do these for us as a courtesy since all of their other vendors are bricks and mortar stores who show the real diamonds to their real clients in real life with real ASET viewers and real Ideal-Scopes in real showrooms, live.

Live is so wonderful! No worries about camera induced errors due to a fraction of a mm in any direction from perfect center. Live is so wonderful, people get to look at real diamonds, and compare them against other real diamonds. Live is so wonderful, no overly exaggerated diamond diagrams making a VS2 look like an I1 instead of the beautiful eye clean VS2 that it really is. Live is so wonderful for so many reasons!

On the other hand, when I am dealing with the diamonds that I love, I have learned to live with the images that I am given and know that it is a small price to pay for being able to sell these beautiful diamonds online.

Wink

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
@Wink while Live view is certainly great but when u decide to sell online and to the world, many of your potential customers including myself (who live in opposite time zone) ... do not have the benefit of seeing it or comparing it to other diamonds.
Your only reassurance would be nothing short of perfect imagery.

It’s great to hear that you are working to address the photography issue with CBI.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you EncikG. I am well aware that many of my clients do not have the opportunity to see the diamond until mine arrives. This is why I strive to get the photography improved. Progress is being made, but we are far from where I will be happy to have arrived. We are though, getting ever closer to having the photos live up to the quality of the Crafted by Infinity diamonds.

Wink

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
779BCA0B-41C3-40AC-86E8-71E11DEB6016.jpeg 607967E3-78C1-4329-BFF0-4F661067A413.jpeg 7AE27346-FCCF-4ED4-AAF3-338D6750CA39.jpeg

On the topic of perfect imagery..

Here are some picts of perfect imagery provided by a B&M shop coupled with live view.
If I based my purchase on price and imagery, then CBI has neither. It’s not the cheapest nor does it have the imagery to back it up.
Yet it’s the positive client reviews and Winks service that gets it over the line.
I do hope u get the imagery up before u ever retire or leave HP diamond.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
779BCA0B-41C3-40AC-86E8-71E11DEB6016.jpeg 607967E3-78C1-4329-BFF0-4F661067A413.jpeg 7AE27346-FCCF-4ED4-AAF3-338D6750CA39.jpeg

On the topic of perfect imagery..

Here are some picts of perfect imagery provided by a B&M shop coupled with live view.
If I based my purchase on price and imagery, then CBI has neither. It’s not the cheapest nor does it have the imagery to back it up.
Yet it’s the positive client reviews and Winks service that gets it over the line.
I do hope u get the imagery up before u ever retire or leave HP diamond.

OP, JannPaul is a great option if you live in Singapore, Malaysia (particularly JB given it’s just over the Causeway) or Brunei. Going by your username and my horrendous understanding of Bahasa, I’m guessing you’re in one of those countries.

If they have access to a Sarine scanner, I’d also be asking them to scan the stone so you have accurate proportions as well as most of their stones (by my understanding) are GIA graded and the proportions on a GIA report are more rounded than what AGS provide on their reports.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @EncikG 's feedback is important.

ASET images are a great marketing, education and quality control tool. Yet, presenting a poorly taken ASET image has the exact opposite effects. So many vendors do not realize this. They struggle to control backlight, does not hold the scope properly, set the diamond tilted. Some provide and link wrong images. One trade member did not admit and realize linkinv a wrong image even after other members alerted him.
It is ashame to see potentially beautiful stones get ditched because of poor photography.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that taking ASET correctly is difficult. Diamond photography is neither gemlogists' or business owners' forte. Photo editing takes time. Maintaining and updating database is tedious process. When you deal with hundreds or even thousands of diamonds on a monthly basis, you make errors. Nearly all vendors struggle, except one or two.

I will just say it. This is one area where Whiteflash( @Texas Leaguer ) truly excels.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results