shape
carat
color
clarity

U-V Diamond

dyb225

Rough_Rock
s-l1600.jpg Can you tell me if this diamond graded by GIA as U-V, SI1, is a nice diamond? I found it at a good price and it is about 1.5 cts. Should I be concerned with internal graining, which is listed in comments of GIA report. Thanks for your time.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s a “good price”? Have you seen U-V color in person? Can you post the full report? Is this for an e-ring, pendant, something else?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
You need to provide more information for us to be able to help - the GIA report with angles and inclusions.

Having said that, ignoring the colour, of which I have no problem, that picture does not look like a good diamond at all, it looks very poorly cut. :(( But to be sure we would need more info.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
You need to provide more information for us to be able to help - the GIA report with angles and inclusions.

Having said that, ignoring the colour, of which I have no problem, that picture does not look like a good diamond at all, it looks very poorly cut. :(( But to be sure we would need more info.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
Sorry for being so vague. I am trying to find a diamond to replace another in a setting. I am looking for a particular size (mm), so I am pretty limited. I don't want to spend a lot of money for it. The diamond is listed as (as per GIA report) U-V, light brown; very good cut; excellent polish; very good symmetry. 62% depth; 61% table; 31.2% angle; 12% crown; 42.2% pavilion angle; 45% pavilion depth; slightly thick to thick; no culet.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
diamond plot.jpg feather, indented natural; internal graining in comments

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for being so vague. I am trying to find a diamond to replace another in a setting. I am looking for a particular size (mm), so I am pretty limited. I don't want to spend a lot of money for it. The diamond is listed as (as per GIA report) U-V, light brown; very good cut; excellent polish; very good symmetry. 62% depth; 61% table; 31.2% angle; 12% crown; 42.2% pavilion angle; 45% pavilion depth; slightly thick to thick; no culet.

Any chance we could have the exact carat weight and also the mm measurements?

Having said that, this diamond does not fill me with joy for you. There's an argument that when diamonds are coloured they are cut for the colour rather than 'cut' per se, but even so. Have you seen it in person? What did you think of it?

The things that worry me - the cut, the cut, the cut, the angles (the cut), the indented natural (which may affect the way you need to set it/put the diamond at risk of fracturing with a bad hit etc). You would really have to see it in person to be able to make a judgement and take photos to know if things were eye visible and problematic.

I would also recommend considering Diamonds by Lauren.

The other option if you're willing to go with such a coloured diamond is to go with another coloured stone. That might be more within your budget too? Perhaps check out the coloured stone forum?

dyb225

Rough_Rock
I respect what you say, but if the cut is so poor, why did GIA put in the report that the cut was "very good?" Now I'm doubting GIA:(2

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, please don't doubt GIA. They are an excellent certification company. The cut isn't 'poor' per se, it's just not 'excellent', and even 'excellent' by GIA standards is on a spectrum.

See - er - cut is based on having angles that are all complementary, which helps with light performance. It's science-based. But when stones are coloured sometimes the cut won't be as 'good' because a cutter has cut the stone to highlight the colour rather than make it perfectly cut. I can just tell from looking at that one picture that the cut is not 'excellent'. It goes all mushy in the centre, can you see? Does that mean this diamond isn't worth it? Not necessarily, I guess it depends on what it costs and what you want it for, but I'm just not convinced by this stone. You would need to see it in person.

Might I recommend reading this?

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut

I might additionally be being a bit harsh on the inclusions - does it say that 'clarity grade is based on internal grading not shown' or anything like that? That would be more worrying.

The feather is listed as the first inclusion and indented natural second? That would mean the feather is the grade setting inclusion rather than the indented natural. Then I guess you would need to know if the feather was surface reaching or not.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-clarity

Have a read of that, too, as a starting point. :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to say it, but the stone is very poorly cut and I would avoid it. I would try to find a stone in your size and budget that is better cut. For budget friendly options, I would call ID Jewelry in NY, and/or look at diamonds by Lauren suggested above.

Very good cut from GIA = terrible cut. Even gia excellent cut doesn't always actually mean excellent cut, because their criteria is very broad.

Can you share your budget and size requirements (in mm)?

dyb225

Rough_Rock
Feather is listed first. Then, indented natural. It says "internal graining is not shown."
I'm trying to purchase a good diamond at a good price. I don't want to break the bank. It's a tinted diamond, 1.5 cts. What do you think would be a decent price for it?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feather is listed first. Then, indented natural. It says "internal graining is not shown."
I'm trying to purchase a good diamond at a good price. I don't want to break the bank. It's a tinted diamond, 1.5 cts. What do you think would be a decent price for it?
I honestly don't think there *is* a decent price for it, because it won't sparkle or perform well. It's honestly better to get a colored stone that at least is well cut rather than a poorly cut diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you share your budget we can try to help you!

dyb225

Rough_Rock
How does a lay person who knows nothing about diamonds, then, know what is a "well cut" diamond, when GIA is misleading them into believeing that the cut on a stone is "very good."

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

The problem is I wouldn't buy that diamond because of the cut. If you wouldn't buy something out of the sale don't buy it in the sale, you know? Because then you haven't saved anything, you've just spent X amount of money. Just tell us what they are asking for it. :geek2:

I would rather you tell the mm requirements of your current ring and your budget and then maybe we can see if we can find you something better for your budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does a lay person who knows nothing about diamonds, then, know what is a "well cut" diamond, when GIA is misleading them into believeing that the cut on a stone is "very good."
Diamonds are tricky. But we have guides here for what to look for. Only consider GIA excellent cut, AND look for stones that score under 2 on the HCA calculator (you can use the pricescope diamond search tool to filter out anything that isn't excellent cut/HCA under 2).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, first things first... you know now that anything less than GIA XXX is a no-go... then you have to look at other criteria to vet a XXX.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and if you stay on Pricescope and educate yourself, you won't be the average lay person when it comes to diamonds. :) ...so you'd already have an advantage.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
If I am trying to replace a round diamond from a halo setting that is
7.28 x7.30 x4.53 how close to these dimensions do I need to get?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, first things first... you know now that anything less than GIA XXX is a no-go... then you have to look at other criteria to vet a XXX.
Other criteria like scoring under 2 on HCA, or you can look for AGS 0 stones (which are almost always ideal cut, but sometimes cost more).

Another thing to do is filter by other cut details:

Table between 54-58
Depth between 60 or 61 and 62.4
Crown between 34-35
Pavillion between 40.6 and 40.8 (sometimes 41 works with a 34 crown angle)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are tricky. But we have guides here for what to look for. Only consider GIA excellent cut, AND look for stones that score under 2 on the HCA calculator (you can use the pricescope diamond search tool to filter out anything that isn't excellent cut/HCA under 2).

We were typing at the same time! #jinx ;-)

OP, my stone isn't a super ideal or AGS 0... it is a GIA XXX. However, it has complimentary angles and scores 0.8 on HCA (anything under 2.0 is worthy of more consideration). GIA XXX is fine - you just have to do a little more work to find the good ones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you spoken to a jeweler? It depends on how much wiggle room there is in your setting. Sometimes it can be .1 mm, sometimes more. Just depends on the setting itself.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It depends on how the halo is made and how the diamond it held prior was set in it... can you post a photo? I'd say you could go 7.1-7.5ish...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you spoken to a jeweler? It depends on how much wiggle room there is in your setting. Sometimes it can be .1 mm, sometimes more. Just depends on the setting itself.

Exactly... like if there was already an airline, you could go a little larger than normal, but not much smaller. And if it was super tight, then you might be able to go a little smaller.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
My budget is like the old limbo saying- how low can you go? I need to get a great deal. That's why I was considering it. The cheapest at Diamonds by Lauren was $6-7K. Can't go there.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My budget is like the old limbo saying- how low can you go? I need to get a great deal. That's why I was considering it. The cheapest at Diamonds by Lauren was $6-7K. Can't go there.

Would you consider a really top-notch cut colored stone?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What is your maximum budget? Honestly just be frank.

Would you consider a stone other than a diamond?

Can you post pictures of the ring you are trying to replace?

Would you consider man made diamond or moissanite? Not this forum but it would help guide us.

There are some beautifully cut moissanites and from someone like August Vintage you may even be able to ask for the exact size you are after.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results