shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to find an Oval Engagement Ring...not sure I’m getting my money’s worth

Maroonandwhite

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

In the process of picking out an engagement ring, and spent some time with my family jeweler this past weekend.

I’m currently looking at a 2.01 carat oval, with the following dimensions:

10.37 x 7.02 x 4.43 mm
2.01 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI2

GIA #2346089718

out the door, band included (~$600), the walkout price discussed with just under $17,000.

Is this a good price for a diamond of this quality? To be honest, I’m worried I will not be happy with the color of the diamond. Obviously, I’m new to this industry and I just want to make sure I’m getting the best bang for my buck, so to speak.
Thank you in advance for any help provided!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a photo of the diamond?

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
we really need to see a video of the stone. Are you in Texas?

Maroonandwhite

Rough_Rock
I am located in Texas. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to take a video, and only snapped a few photos, I apologize for the quality of them. E92922A0-2D0B-4678-B21F-20472A77F0C4.jpeg 57C34C83-9912-4627-8E10-18809CF8ADA7.jpeg F00BE74D-831D-46AB-9CE8-41A50378F520.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately we need more accurate pictures in order to be helpful.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A GIA certificate number would also be helpful, please.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I have an h color that never looks yellow; but yours does in some photos.

Maroonandwhite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help so far!

Currently working to get some better photos.
The GIA Certificate number is below:

GIA #2346089718

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices range between $7100 to $13.4k at James Allen for 2-2.05 H/SI2 ovals.

Edit

$12.1k to $15.1k at Blue Nile.

You should expect to pay a little more at a Brick and mortar because they provide you a place to look at the stones.

Maroonandwhite

Rough_Rock
Just got a few more photos from the jeweler, my stone is on the right, and an example F stone to the left. 533D82C4-4F70-4A5B-A7A9-B46DFD4A7DCF.jpeg

I also got a video, but not sure how to post.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If it were me, I would hesitate to buy a ER that was an S12 cuz if anything gets inspected at close range....it is an ER. What did you think about the grade making inclusions?

BTW have looked at this site? Beautiful ovals

cheers--Sharon

Maroonandwhite

Rough_Rock
Everyone, thank you for your help so far, it's been extremely beneficial. I've made the decision to keep searching for the perfect stone. My parameters (2.0 carat oval, F or better, VS2 or better, $15,000 or lower) are giving me lots of options.

If you diamond experts had my parameters, what diamond would you go with? examples would be great here, because I really feel like I don't know what i'm doing when it comes to finding the right stone.

Additionally, after doing some more research, I am starting to realize I might need to look at Lab grown diamonds as well. I know this is not the proper forum for this, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a nice stone, it’s cut a little deep but it has bowtie which tends to be the trade off

not 2ct but it has the mm spread! I like the cut very much on this one

i wanted to ask is the intended wearer ok with lab diamonds?

Maroonandwhite

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the examples, I like both of them!

Yes, my future wife has no problems with lab grown diamonds, and to be honest, I think she would rather have the biggest/brightest lab diamond vs a smaller organic.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes, my future wife has no problems with lab grown diamonds, and to be honest, I think she would rather have the biggest/brightest lab diamond vs a smaller organic.

Gotcha, I can’t recommend a good vendor for lab stones as I’m just not familiar with them. I did look at the JA ones and I wasn’t impressed.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Then I would get her one! Look on the MMD sub-forum for some good suggestions!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There is no reason not to expect that not mined diamonds will cost more than hundreds per carat irrespective of weight, in the very near future. Synthetic sapphires have already gone through this a century ago, so now you can have one at their rock bottom; they are a classical engagement ring stone.

-

looking for an oval & finding not much to show, in fact

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There is no reason not to expect that not mined diamonds will cost more than hundreds per carat irrespective of weight, in the very near future. Synthetic sapphires have already gone through this a century ago, so now you can have one at their rock bottom; they are a classical engagement ring stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results