shape
carat
color
clarity

To buy or not to buy? Please share your advice.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
am considering this ring which as 4 colors of diamond. All are GUA certified:
1 purplish pink 0.23 carats
1 greenish blue 0.5 carats
1 yellowish green 0.62 carats
1 yellow 0.8 carats
The ring is 22K gold, with a number of other smaller diamonds.
What would be a fair price for this ring? Would appreciate your thoughts and advice! Thank you.

59F1C8DD-02AF-423A-A295-7313A9ABE37B.jpeg i

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it’s a very beautiful ring.
if it’s been made by “a name designer” that in itself can add $$$ to the price.
Sorry, who issued the lab report? Are there lab reports for all of the coloured diamonds?
the issue with coloured diamonds is that they can have been treated to create or improve colour. A natural, untreated pink diamond even at even 0.23 carats can be tens of thousands of dollars. Treated diamonds are worth considerably less.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Bron357. Sorry for my typo, the 4 lab reports, one for each of the coloured diamonds, are all from GIA, stating that the diamonds are natural. So, no Treatments. I am very grateful for your questions and advice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty! Do you have places and opportunities to wear it? You can check Leibish for comp colored stones. I would have no
idea what it would be worth and not knowing what kind of store you bought it at, etc.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, tyty333 for your questions and suggestion. it Is from a reputable jeweller with a solid reputation, which has been around for more than 80 years. If I bought the ring I would wear it anytime ! Doesn’t have to be a grand occasion, I did check Lebish and I thought it would be very helpful to seek advice from PriceScope. Thanks Again!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no idea of what it might be worth, but that ring is gorgeous! I love it.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I love the cluster of many different colored diamonds! If you don't mind sharing, how much is the jeweler asking?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it makes your heart sing and you can afford it, I’d buy it.
its hard to “value” as it’s an intricate “one of a kind” type piece but if you break it down into the components it will help assess value.
Most the money is in the pink diamond, check the comps against other similar size and colour pink diamonds. The yellows and the blue green aren’t as expensive. Add around $10,000 for the rest of the ring, if it’s a “name manufacturer“ you might have to add another $10,000 as well.
in any regard, I’d offer 15% less than the asking price, and be hopeful to get a discount between 5 and 8%.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kenny do you have any advice or how much you think this ring maybe worth/valued? @AudreyC I have no idea, while this is a very unique, probably custom setting with FCDs, perhaps Kenny can provide some pertinent info as he seems to have knowledge about FCDs.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny do you have any advice or how much you think this ring maybe worth/valued? @AudreyC I have no idea, while this is a very unique, probably custom setting with FCDs, perhaps Kenny can provide some pertinent info as he seems to have knowledge about FCDs.

You've mentioned the hues of the main FCDs but left out GIA's grades for their tone and saturation.
These grades are essential pieces of the value puzzle.
GIA has 9 Tone/Saturation grades based on this graphic.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.42.08 PM.png

Faint is the least valuable, and Fancy Vivid the most.

Even if you did post the Tone/Saturation grades, I'm not competent to guess the value.
FCD value is mysterious, even to the great and powerful Kenny. :lol:

Not that you'd ever find them, but if you did you could line up 10 FCDs of the same weight, cut and clarity that GIA graded Fancy Intense Greenish Blue and their hues would range from gorgeous, brilliant, fresh and clean to meh, dull and muddy.
Then the cut itself could range from leaking light like a strainer to returning light like a super-ideal round white diamond.
Their value will reflect their attractiveness - again even though they all have the exact same GIA FCD grades/specs.
Sorry, but this is just how it is in FCD-land.
In spite of GIA's good work, hue is too complex to describe on a report - and with FCDs GIA doesn't even report angles or cut quality for light performance.

The hue of the pink and yellows look very nice to me but the greenish blue looks pretty meh - but it could be the photography.
I know from experience FCDs are very difficult to photograph if you want to get the hue correct - especially when there are more than one FCD in the pic of different hues.
I had a gorgeous grayish-purple that absolutely refused to be photographed accurately, especially within a collection of several other FCDs when I got hue of all the others to look accurate.

To guess a value you need an appraiser who is competent and current on FCDs, but I do not know one.
Every FCD I've bought was from Leibish, and I just trusted them on the price.
I've never bought from anyone else, or pre-loved.

I agree with tyty333 about looking for comps on Leibish - though (since FCDs are complex and exceedingly rare) comps for FCDs are a way more difficult to nail down than for white diamonds on GIA's D-Z scale.

Also, this forum (Show me the bling) is not for shopping, it's for showing off what you've bought.
I'd ask admin to move this thread to PS's Colored Stones forum to reach more appropriate posters for advice.

Last edited:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
If it makes your heart sing and you can afford it, I’d buy it.
its hard to “value” as it’s an intricate “one of a kind” type piece but if you break it down into the components it will help assess value.
Most the money is in the pink diamond, check the comps against other similar size and colour pink diamonds. The yellows and the blue green aren’t as expensive. Add around $10,000 for the rest of the ring, if it’s a “name manufacturer“ you might have to add another $10,000 as well.
in any regard, I’d offer 15% less than the asking price, and be hopeful to get a discount between 5 and 8%.

Thank you so much, Bron357!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

So kind of you, Crazie4cuts. Thanks for asking Kenny to comment.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
You've mentioned the hues of the main FCDs but left out GIA's grades for their tone and saturation.
These grades are essential pieces of the value puzzle.
GIA has 9 Tone/Saturation grades based on this graphic.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.42.08 PM.png

Faint is the least valuable, and Fancy Vivid the most.

Even if you did post the Tone/Saturation grades, I'm not competent to guess the value.
FCD value is mysterious, even to the great and powerful Kenny. :lol:

Not that you'd ever find them, but if you did you could line up 10 FCDs of the same weight, cut and clarity that GIA graded Fancy Intense Greenish Blue and their hues would range from gorgeous, brilliant, fresh and clean to meh, dull and muddy.
Then the cut could range from leaking light like a strainer to returning light like s super-ideal cut round white diamond.
Their value will reflect their attractiveness - again even though they all have the exact same GIA FCD grades/specs.
Sorry, but this is just how it is in FCD-land.
In spite of GIA's good work, hue is too complex to describe on a report - and GIA doesn't even pay attention to cut for FCDs :nono:- (light performance)

The hue of the pink and yellows look very nice to me but the greenish blue looks pretty meh - but it could be the photography.
I know from experience FCDs are very difficult to photograph if you want to get the hue correct - especially when there are more than one FCD in the pic of different hues.
I had a gorgeous grayish-purple that absolutely refused to be photographed accurately, especially within a collection of several other FCDs when I got hue of all the others to look accurate.

To guess a value you need an appraiser who is competent and current on FCDs, but I do not know one.
Every FCD I've bought was from Leibish, and I just trusted them on the price.
I've never bought from anyone else, or pre-loved.

I agree with tyty333 about looking for comps on Leibish - though (since FCDs are complex and exceedingly rare) comps for FCDs are a way more difficult to nail down than for white diamonds on GIA's D-Z scale.

Also, this forum (Show me the bling) is not for shopping, it's for showing off what you've bought.
I'd ask admin to move this thread to PS's Colored Stones forum to reach more appropriate posters for advice.

Thank you, Kenny for your detailed comments and opinion on the stones.
They are all rated Fancy or Fancy intense.
Apologies for posting this to the wrong forum. This is my first post and I am very happy to get such helpful advice and comments! I will ask admin to move this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super conservative and not a risk taker when parting with my $$$$$ for FCDs.

GIA has more than one FCD report.
The full report shows the type and location of inclusions on a graphic, which functions like a fingerprint to verify that the stone you are looking at under your loupe really is the stone on the report.
Hopefully your FCDs come with GIA's report that has these inclusion plots.

Get a good loupe and use it to know your diamonds.
I recommend the Belomo 10x, very high quality for only $30.

FCDs being so expensive increases the potential for someone to swap in a stone.
This is unlikely, though possible, since original GIA reports traditionally accompany diamonds.
But I'm a cynical cautious old guy who only buys "new" FCDs from Leibish.
Used goods are another market which IMO call for a higher level of care, alertness and skepticism.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I love the cluster of many different colored diamonds! If you don't mind sharing, how much is the jeweler asking?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Asking price is USD40,000.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I'm super conservative and not a risk taker when parting with my $$$$$ for FCDs.

GIA has more than one FCD report.
The full report shows the type and location of inclusions on a graphic, which functions like a fingerprint to verify that the stone you are looking at under your loupe really is the stone on the report.
Hopefully your FCDs come with GIA's report that has these inclusion plots.

Get a good loupe and use it to know your diamonds.
I recommend the Belomo 10x, very high quality for only $30.

FCDs being so expensive increases the potential for someone to swap in a stone.
This is unlikely, though possible, since original GIA reports traditionally accompany diamonds.
But I'm a cynical cautious old guy who only buys "new" FCDs from Leibish.
Used goods are another market which IMO call for a higher level of care, alertness and skepticism.

Thanks again, Kenny. Yes, I have a good Louie and have thoroughly checked the stones. The stones are all laser inscribed and their numbers are on the certs. The certs are also recent - within the last year.
Thanks for your words of caUnion, there are so many ways that things can go wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results