shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiny studs and larger studs

SunshineCrystal

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a pair of 1ctw diamond studs from Fred Meyer jewelers. They are Ks, but don’t really look yellow. Although I really liked them at first, I am not sure now. They seem to have a visible cloud inclusion on one side. Most of the time they just sit there, and there’s not a whole lot of sparkling going on. Strangely, they seem to only wake up in the evening in the car when they catch light from other cars’ lights.:))) Then they are fireballs.
They don’t look like frozen spit or anything. They just don’t seem to sparkle very much most of the time. One good thing about them though, they are a lot less then you would pay for 1 ct from a reputable diamond retailer.
So, I am thinking about doing the following. I want to buy a tiny pair of studs from ID jewelry for every day where, and a pair of somewhat larger studs from WF and upgrade later. I just have a dilemma, should I have just OK, but larger diamond studs for less, or smaller, more expensive Ideal cuts....
Would you look at the parameters and tell me if It’s worth the trade? Thank you so very much, everyone.
I will post the picture of the studs I have now, and the parameters of the ones I am thinking to switch to.

DIAMOND INFORMATION
Category A CUT ABOVE®
Shape Round
Carat 0.302
Color K
Clarity VS2
Measurements 4.30x4.32x2.66 mm

DIAMOND PERFORMANCE
Cut Ideal
Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Fluorescence Negligible
Eye-Clean Yes
Culet Pointed

DIAMOND SPECIFICATIONS
Depth % 61.7
Table % 55.0
Crown Angle 34.8
Star 52.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.6
20190215_230143.jpg

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you planning on returning the Fred Meyer pair? If you have 3 pairs of studs of different sizes I’m just wondering if you will wear them all?

I have a small pair (0.33ct total) for daily wear and a larger pair (1ct total) for “going out”. The reality is that I reach for the smaller ones all the time and the larger ones seldom get worn. What I should have done is buy one superideal pair at around 0.8ct! And just worn them every day.

This is easy to see in retrospect and for you it depends on your job and lifestyle. You can’t go wrong with ACAs, though.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you planning on returning the Fred Meyer pair? If you have 3 pairs of studs of different sizes I’m just wondering if you will wear them all?

I have a small pair (0.33ct total) for daily wear and a larger pair (1ct total) for “going out”. The reality is that I reach for the smaller ones all the time and the larger ones seldom get worn. What I should have done is buy one superideal pair at around 0.8ct! And just worn them every day.

This is easy to see in retrospect and for you it depends on your job and lifestyle. You can’t go wrong with ACAs, though.
I wear tiny JA diamonds that dangle a little and get compliments 100 times as often as I do for my large studs. People always seem to notice them right away. They are tiny but very well cut.
Sunshine crystal, have you tried soaking your earrings in hot water and Dawn dish soap? I would love to hear if that makes a difference.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear bezel set studs, one is .36pts the other .34pts, I find them the perfect size for everyday wear, sizeable enough, but not too big that they look ‘too much’.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also see no reason for 3 pairs. Even 2 pairs seems overkill to me (unless you have 4 holes). I would just get good WF stones in an in between size
then 3 or 5 point jackets to "dress them up when needed".

You can see the 3 point jackets here (quite blingy for when you need that extra oomph).
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-jacket-saga-continues-with-id-jewelry.176397/

This shows the difference in size between the 3 ptrs and 5 ptrs.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-jackets-have-arrived.174184/

Edit...this might be a better thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-jackets-6mm-with-3pt-and-5mm-with-5pt.186983/

SunshineCrystal

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!
Oh, I wasn't planning on keeping the Fred Meyer pair. I'll go with smaller ideal cuts instead. Do you recommend WF or JDJewelry?

SunshineCrystal

Rough_Rock
is there a huge difference in light performance between ideal/super ideal and not so ideal cuts?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results