shape
carat
color
clarity

Three must have books on that desert island...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat for you. Can be audio or hard cover or whatever form you like. I love a good hardcover version. One of the things I love about reading is the silence and getting completely immersed in a good book.

readingcalvinandhobbes.gif

So what 3 books would you bring with you to the desert island?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top of my head and I haven't read these in decades probably so I might feel differently about them now. You know how that goes. A great movie from the old days suddenly doesn't seem as great when you watch it in current times. But these 3 books spring to mind for me.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

And if I get two more (haha I am so greedy)

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

There are so many amazing books but for some reason these came to my mind immediately. I have to read them again and see if I feel the same now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh chooses

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

Yeah, we like to read the same books occasionally but he loves non fiction more than I do.

Oh and he chooses Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I do not love or like that book.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To Kill a Moockingbird

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Heart is a Lonely Hunter

In Cold Blood

This is too hard. I cannot just pick 3. NM

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Mine will not be highbrow literary choices. ;-) When I read, I love nothing more than to be scared. So my choices are mysteries:

Death on the Nile - Agatha Christie

In Spite of Thunder - John Dickson Carr

And After That, the Dark - Charlotte Hughes

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would bring...

Anne Rice, The Witching Hour- could I have the series?!

Elizabeth Kostova, The Historian

Dickens, Great Expectations

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread! I'll need to have a think, but I just want to say that hardcover - noooo! They're SO heavy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread! I'll need to have a think, but I just want to say that hardcover - noooo! They're SO heavy!

But it’s so much easier to read. For me. I just love the feel of a hardcover. Something so nice about the feel.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't think I could do without these stand-alone books:

1. An Old Fashioned Girl - Louisa May Alcott
2. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
3. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman

but, I'd find a way to also smuggle in the Kindle version of these series:

4. The Sookie Stackhouse Novels
5. Dragon Tattoo trilogy - Stein Larsson
6. The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to cheat and bring Stephen King's Dark Tower series :Up_to_something:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't think I could do without these stand-alone books:

1. An Old Fashioned Girl - Louisa May Alcott
2. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
3. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman

but, I'd find a way to also smuggle in the Kindle version of these series:

4. The Sookie Stackhouse Novels
5. Dragon Tattoo trilogy - Stein Larsson
6. The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins

I'm going to cheat and bring Stephen King's Dark Tower series :Up_to_something:

Haha I like the way you ladies think. Yeah we need more books on that desert island for sure.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
These I've read through dozens of times, but can still pick up and read everyday.....

My Bible
Gone with the Wind-Margaret Mitchell
Pillars of the Earth-Ken Follet

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fifty Shades Trilogy. Done.

You're welcome. ;-)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dune
The Left Hand of Darkness

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d also bring a Bible. History, mystery, instruction, and inspiration... it could give me food for thought for a long time.

Something by Dostoyevsky. In all honesty, I haven’t read Dostoyevsky since high school! But we read two of his books in one of my English classes (go figure!) and I remember being so incredibly impressed by his writing and insight. With my shortened attention span these days, it would probably take being stranded on a desert island for me try it again.

Gosh, just one more book? Just for fun, probably Pride and Prejudice, or Rebecca, or something by Jan Karon.

And perhaps I could sneak The Little Prince in a back pocket. It’s short... more like a pamphlet, right?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Top of my head and I haven't read these in decades probably so I might feel differently about them now. You know how that goes. A great movie from the old days suddenly doesn't seem as great when you watch it in current times. But these 3 books spring to mind for me.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

And if I get two more (haha I am so greedy)

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

There are so many amazing books but for some reason these came to my mind immediately. I have to read them again and see if I feel the same now.

Yes, Pride & Prejudice for sure. I'd also add Persuasion. Can never have enough Jane.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Bible
Courson commentary
all the rest of my books are on my kindle. I would want to bring that and a solar charger. Is that cheating?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Bible
Courson commentary
all the rest of my books are on my kindle. I would want to bring that and a solar charger. Is that cheating?

Cheat away. I am OK with that when it comes to reading more books. Books are precious.

tvinhead.gif

This is me looking forward to starting a good book. Yummmm to good books.
readinggif.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Pride & Prejudice for sure. I'd also add Persuasion. Can never have enough Jane.

Completely agree.:read: I am a Jane Austen fan.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d also bring a Bible. History, mystery, instruction, and inspiration... it could give me food for thought for a long time.

Something by Dostoyevsky. In all honesty, I haven’t read Dostoyevsky since high school! But we read two of his books in one of my English classes (go figure!) and I remember being so incredibly impressed by his writing and insight. With my shortened attention span these days, it would probably take being stranded on a desert island for me try it again.

Gosh, just one more book? Just for fun, probably Pride and Prejudice, or Rebecca, or something by Jan Karon.

And perhaps I could sneak The Little Prince in a back pocket. It’s short... more like a pamphlet, right?

yes you can sneak that in your back pocket. It's so thin and easy to hide after all. Haha.
And Dostoyevsky is so good. I haven't read him for decades. Time to break out his books again I think. Thanks for the reminder.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These I've read through dozens of times, but can still pick up and read everyday.....

My Bible
Gone with the Wind-Margaret Mitchell
Pillars of the Earth-Ken Follet

I love Gone with the Wind. I think the first time I read that book I devoured it within 2 days. I am not sure I took time to sleep that night lol. It was worth it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could never pick just a couple, I love reading too too much. I think the e reader is the worlds greatest invention, allowing me to keep hundreds of books in my little purse wherever I go. My kindle goes everywhere with me. So if I was stranded on an island, I would already have it with me.

I don't have a waterproof one though so I should probably upgrade just to make sure!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a desert island - Les Miserables because it's my favorite and I would be happy reading nothing but that for the rest of my life, Robinson Crusoe because I love it too and it is thematically topical and has useful tips, and a hefty wilderness medicine textbook.

If it's just three books to read for the rest of my life, replace the wilderness medicine textbook with an omnibus edition of Harry Potter :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Stand by Stephen King
The History of the world by Roberts
Complete works of Shakespeare

:)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dante’s inferno
Lincoln in the Bardo
my bible

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was so hard to decide. So many greats to choose from.
I looked at my bookcase and chose the ones I have read many times and will read again.

The Godfather--Mario Puzo
The Good Earth--Pearl S. Buck
Gone With the Wind--Margaret Mitchell

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Gone with the Wind. I think the first time I read that book I devoured it within 2 days. I am not sure I took time to sleep that night lol. It was worth it.
I read GWTW when I was 12 yrs. old. I never grow tired of that story. It created a life-long love of the Civil War era.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curiously, I'd be happy with a blank book and a pen that way I could write my own thoughts and stories down.... (And yes I did English and Australian literature at University and was an English/History teacher in a past life).

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
The Boy Scout’s Handbook
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Boat Building

Aaaand can the Harry Potter series count as my third???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results