shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on value of this Sapphire

MikeySwedish

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at buying an orange sapphire. Its kind of a pale peachy color. 3.88 carat cushion cut. I want to be more confident in the value of this, thoughts?

brief.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure about the value per say, but it looks like a nice piece and has a quality report. It's too light for my personal taste, but obviously that doesn't matter if you love the color. What is the asking price?

MikeySwedish

Rough_Rock
I do love the color and it looks like a nice stone. Im pretty new to this though and it seems there is quite a range on gem values, and Im not quite understanding the valuations.

The asking price for this is $11,000 USD

What do you think?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, this is in no way a pad if there is no pink, only peach/orange. The AGL brief would have said orangish pink or pinkish orange if it was a pad. If you love it and are willing to pay the price, that's fine, but I personally wouldn't pay so much for heated orange sapphire; it's not even unheated for the pale color and steep price.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a pretty sapphire but it’s not pinkish to me, more yellow orange.
However, if the vendor has a easy return policy perhaps you should see it in person to see if it meets with your expectations.
Personally, I think the price is a bit too much, it’s heated and they are sort of pricing it as a “type of pad sapphire” when it really isn’t.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree but Im looking for more of a padparadscha color. The pale pinky peachy type.

I would think this is more comparable: https://www.africagems.com/sapphire-cushion-5-44-201810265.html
The Africa gems one is more pinkish with just a touch of peach. The you are looking at is the other way, much more orangish.
The video of the sapphire on the hand might seem a “bit pink” but that’s probably the mans skin colour coming through. Against a white background, I’m not seeing any pink.

Lovebirdy

Rough_Rock
I'm not much help at knowing values of gems but it seems pretty high. I would love to know where this is though!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try looking through gemfix. To decide whether the price is fair, you should compare against other currently available stones.

When looking for price comparisons you should not be looking at pads, you should be looking at orange sapphires. That is not a pad, AGL report would have said pad if it was a pad (instead it says orange sapphire. Again look at gemfix to see what a lab report for a pad looks like). Pads are a lot more expensive than orange sapphires. You are getting ripped off if someone sells you an orange sapphire at an appropriate price for a pad.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaurieSarahDesigns on Etsy has a 3.03 carat GIA certified Pad Sapphire for around $9,000 USD.
Sapphires carat price can vary but generally orange toned is less expensive than pink toned. As with all things, many factors can come into play not at least the fact that 3 carat plus pink/ orange sapphires are quite scarce AND currently on trend.
I would think around $3,000 a carat for heated slight pink / orange, slightly less for orange with “maybe” pink. A true Pad of strong saturation can be $10,000 a carat over 2 carat size.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DA412A82-F21C-4D0B-831C-99165F527466.jpeg Now, this one is on eBay and the vendor in India but they have 100% feedback and offer a 30 day return and paying with PayPal is safe.
This sapphire is GRS certified as a Pad sapphire, that’s a top lab, it’s also unheated. A bit smaller in carat weight but actually bigger “face up” than your original choice. You can check out the video on the listing. They have a number of pink/ orange sapphires. This one is Just under $8,000 US
eBay no is 231681070228.

MikeySwedish

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyones thoughts. It seems like this stone is priced high. I do love the color as is, but what Im gathering is that the price doesn't reflect the value of the stone being an orange heated sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results