shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this tourmaline ring?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
BD27ED74-CB44-40A3-BE67-FF3787DCEE93.jpeg 30A4D6E5-40C9-48E1-A6A6-5A55D2B016DD.jpeg
So I’ve put this lovely tourmaline ring on lay away and expect to have it by Mother’s Day. And now I’m second-guessing myself. I’m pretty close to certain it’s because I’m having anxiety about a lot of other things that are going on that have nothing to do with jewelry. AnyWho, before a bite the bullet, anyone want to weigh in on this ring? I’m not exactly sure how many carats it is but it’s quite large. It’s set in platinum with diamonds on each side. An antique dealer friend of mine has it set aside for me but I can change my mind and put the money towards anything else if I like it. It’s bluer irl than in the photos, like a teal blue green. The stone is exceptionally clean. I’ve got a video somewhere....Thoughts?

Video:
https://www.instagram.com/frabjousj...tm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ksolpknq1zie

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous but you HAVE to like it for it to be worthwhile! Best of luck and do tell us what you decide!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful personally. Very formal and significant looking to my eyes. The color seems serene yet bold to me.

Color is extremely subtle and personal, as is size...I think of the analogy of ‘the sweet spot’ that food scientists go for with products in which there is just enough salt, sugar and whatever else to make the flavor explosive, as a great way to describe how colors, shapes and sizes affect us.

What exactly are you having doubts about? The color, the shape, size, general style, or another aspect? Is it due to other stuff going on which you worry may be affecting the decision to buy it?

I have purchased pieces during times of duress./anxiety. Sometimes I have loved them and they have become a memory of that phase of life. other times I realize I’ve talked myself into loving them at that time because It gave me relief to have something else to focus on. In the latter cases, I have ended up not wearing them and not fully loving them. It’s really hard to differentiate at the moment though. Good that you have time and flexibility to really think about it.

Last edited:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @mellowyellowgirl and @Bluegemz. I had been looking for a blue green tourmaline for a wild. I had a Jeweler Steele at 22 carat Forest green tourmaline out of the ring he was repairing for me and I’ve mourned the loss for some time. I quite like the color of this one whole lot more! I’ve had my eyes open for an Indica light since then. I’m not sure whether this one would be considered Indica light but I’m OK with that. The price is absolutely which is why I jumped. It’s under 3K. I do think anxiety and stress about other things that are going on is wearing on me though. Our house is under construction, I do think anxiety and stress about other things that are going on is wearing on me though. Our house is under construction, I have two children in the hospital, we’re looking to list the house and like we move out of state shortly, my husband is looking for a new job, etc. But my husband is a sweetheart and lets me do whatever when it comes to jewelry as long as it doesn’t impact our family accounts. I buy and sell and flip a lot.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color and the shape @Keeliamira. It's super pretty and elegant too. If you think it will bring you joy when wearing it (and you can easily afford it) I say go for it. You deserve it and have been through and are still going through so much. Don't feel guilty about it. If your DH is onboard and you love it I say it's a keeper. For now at least and as you say you buy and sell a lot so not that much risk.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mellowyellowgirl and @Bluegemz. I had been looking for a blue green tourmaline for a wild. I had a Jeweler Steele at 22 carat Forest green tourmaline out of the ring he was repairing for me and I’ve mourned the loss for some time. I quite like the color of this one whole lot more! I’ve had my eyes open for an Indica light since then. I’m not sure whether this one would be considered Indica light but I’m OK with that. The price is absolutely which is why I jumped. It’s under 3K. I do think anxiety and stress about other things that are going on is wearing on me though. Our house is under construction, I do think anxiety and stress about other things that are going on is wearing on me though. Our house is under construction, I have two children in the hospital, we’re looking to list the house and like we move out of state shortly, my husband is looking for a new job, etc. But my husband is a sweetheart and lets me do whatever when it comes to jewelry as long as it doesn’t impact our family accounts. I buy and sell and flip a lot.
Oh my god... That is A LOT going on! So it seems very tied to me. On one hand, this is something which you have been looking for. And the price is reasonable and the color is beautiful. On the other, you have uncertainties and unresolved things happening at this time.

Sometimes tapping into what you love can be extremely important in such times. To me, it feels like a peaceful ring. The stability of the rectangle, the soothing color, the metaphor of the doorway or frame into a new chapter. Emotionally , it seems very fitting for this phase in terms of having faith that you are building, framing a new life with the changes and a peaceful way forward. In other words, the ring visually seems like a counter balance to what’s going on, and therefore a beautifully symbolic piece.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My oldest was diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis in the Fall, while studying in a different country. During that time of grief, I chose just a few pieces which reminded me of faith , trust and courage. I am grateful to have them and I love them because they fit the emotional needs which I had at that time. I wear them whenever I need that energy. So in my mind, perhaps the ring is a very good piece to have.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like you have no second thoughts about the actual ring, stone or price but all the things going on in your life right now are making you a bit anxious overall?

In that case I feel like you should purchase the ring as it ticks all your boxes and you do seem to like it. Perhaps only walk away if your heart is not really into ANY purchases right now because there's no guarantee you won't feel anxious even if you pick something else.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the price. Quite honestly, it would scare me to wear a tourmaline that huge without a more protective setting. They’re quite “chippy”’stones. One wrong knock, and there’s a crater in your gem. As for the stone itself, it’s a pretty indicolite, but I would make sure it doesn’t go dark outdoors, which some have a tendency to do.

After looking at the video, the color doesn’t really knock my socks off, and it has a closed c-axis, so I would be worried about extinction in certain lighting. I rather have a smaller stone with much better color, but if the price is exceptional, that’s the only way I would consider it. If you like giant stones, over color, or you absolute adore the color, that’s up to you.

I encourage you to look up blue or green-blue tourmalines in this site though to see how truly beautiful this gem can be.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Depends on the price. Quite honestly, it would scare me to wear a tourmaline that huge without a more protective setting. They’re quite “chippy”’stones. One wrong knock, and there’s a crater in your gem. As for the stone itself, it’s a pretty indicolite, but I would make sure it doesn’t go dark outdoors, which some have a tendency to do.

After looking at the video, the color doesn’t really knock my socks off, and it has a closed c-axis, so I would be worried about extinction in certain lighting. I rather have a smaller stone with much better color, but if the price is exceptional, that’s the only way I would consider it. If you like giant stones, over color, or you absolute adore the color, that’s up to you.

I encourage you to look up blue or green-blue tourmalines in this site though to see how truly beautiful this gem can be.
    Really good points!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
[Ach! I missed the window to edit my post after using talk-to-text to draft it and I’m horrified by my auto text typos!:lol: Indict light!!!:lol-2:

Very good point, @missy . This is definitely a very low risk purchase for me. And I do really love it.

To me, it feels like a peaceful ring. The stability of the rectangle, the soothing color, the metaphor of the doorway or frame into a new chapter. Emotionally , it seems very fitting for this phase in terms of having faith that you are building, framing a new life with the changes and a peaceful way forward. In other words, the ring visually seems like a counter balance to what’s going on, and therefore a beautifully symbolic piece.

@Bluegemz you always have such a delicious way with words. I adore your door metaphor. You are quite right...this is a piece that would well represent where I am with things. I too have a number of pieces I’ve acquired to mark milestones and tribulations. Thank you. Sending healing prayers for your oldest.

@mellowyellowgirl you are totally on point. It DOES tick all the boxes. I should not be having anxiety about this. It’s bleed-over.

@TL thanks for the reminder on seeing it outdoors. I don’t think it will go dark, but I will certainly remind myself to check now!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awe thank you, @Keeliamira . And thanks for the healing prayers! Much appreciated and received. To your kiddos too. =)2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the opposed bar cut was used to try to brighten the stone. If there's a viewing and return period without any restocking fee, it's worth a look.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry about what you’re going through. As long as you are able to return it, enjoy the process. =)2

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts on this ring. I do agree that it likely has a closed c-axis, but that really doesn’t bother me and right now I can’t afford the premium that comes with an open c on a stone this size. And I really am a size whore. I think I’ll likely get it and keep it, love it, wear it, etc. until the right open c pops up. It really does tick my present boxes and the price can’t be beat.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results