shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this stone?

I have popped this in the Golden Bird thread but as I am new to the board would love to get the opinion of the ladies on here that have experience with Moissanite.

I ordered a colourless 3ct cushion cut Moissanite from Golden Bird. This is the video of the stone

https://streamable.com/2jek0

I am concerned it may have a yellow tinge. I have sent a conversation on Etsy back to the seller but as it is early on a Sunday I don't expect a response until tomorrow.

Can I ask what the lovely ladies on here think? Should I ask for a different video/picture?

Thank you

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Hey hun, I am sorry to be the first one to say it but that stone to me definitely has a yellow tone to it and I don't see it as being colorless at all. You can certainly see it when he turns the stone sideways. Please note that I am color sensitive so I tend to like colorless stones or at least near colorless because I do not favor yellow tints in my stones unless I am intentionally ordering something with yellow in it ie: Yellow diamonds, Yellow Sapphires, etc..

I would ask to see several samples if it were me. I would also mention that the stone doesn't really look colorless and make sure that you reiterate that you want a true colorless stone.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful stone if you are looking for a warm buttery yellow. I am not color sensitive but that is not colorless.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!!!! But definitely not colorless, and I’m not color sensitive either. I’d ask for more videos in different lighting.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Taurus2313 @AprilBaby and @michellelynn9175

Thanks at least it confirms what I thought.

I have gone back to him saying it has a yellow tinge and could I see some more pictures and video. I let him know I didn't want him to go to the trouble of setting it for me to send it back.

I am not sure what the refund policy is on Etsy if I am not happy with it but at least I have only paid a deposit

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
He has replied back saying it has no yellow definitely.

I will ask for another video/pictures in a different light. Can anyone advise on the best light to see the true colour of this stone.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
He has replied back saying it has no yellow definitely.

I will ask for another video/pictures in a different light. Can anyone advise on the best light to see the true colour of this stone.

I’d recommend at least a picture of it face down on one of the white color grading paper things (not sure what they’re called) and a video in natural light. The cut is really pretty so I hope it works out that you like the color!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
My experience with India is that they don't have true colorless stones. Not like my BTD Amora Gem Ulta E Color VVS 7mm I got a few years ago. You will have more luck with the Chinese vendors. I also notice the Indian sellers finished pieces are a wee bit more expensive when compared to StarsGems (not Tainyu).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, put it face down on white paper and take photos from the side too.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @AprilBaby @chunkyfacetlover and @michellelynn9175

He is going to redo the design and send the video and pics today.

I quickly shot a message through now just saying could I have a pic upside down on white paper.

I do actually love the cut if the stone it seems lovely to my untrained eye. I just don’t want to pay for colourless if it isn’t.

I don’t want to pass it off as a diamond or anything I just prefer that rainbow white look

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still would ask for it on white paper as a reference point. It looks kind of dark in the video but it’s hard to tell why.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a peachy/brown pink tint rather than a yellow tint (could be my monitors). Its definitely NOT colourless, which should be DEF range, however I actually love it haha. I think its gorgeous, and I think a bit of tint probably makes it more "passable" as a diamond if that's what youre going for. Unfortunate if they won't adjust the price and still charge a DEF premium though.

If youre still interested, get the pics on a white paper - upside down. You'll be able to see the tint best there.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@telephone89 and @MakingTheGrade thanks o have gone back and asked again for it on white paper in daylight face up and face down I have said I can’t ask him to proceed and set it unless I see it is truely colourless

I agree it’s a really pretty stone but I don’t want to Coloirless prices if it isn’t

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CEC51D1B-595C-48D6-95E7-D671B8271B94.jpeg Yeah my colorless F moissy from aug vintage is WHITE. Definitely colorless. Against white paper there should be nowhere for any color to hide.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
It is gorgeous @MakingTheGrade I am just wondering why he hasn't sent pics and has only sent video. Is that usual?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so he has sent two pictures I really don’t know what to think of them. One looks ok the other looks dark I think? But could be the way the lighting is?

59F4C481-C0D3-427B-B81F-7A1E2026D549.jpeg 130AD05E-5BE3-4B30-832F-02FB74A8E885.jpeg

I feel bad asking for so many pics I don’t want to appear rude or suspicious?

What are your thoughts ladies? Should I ask for anything else or just take a punt on it?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Also if I was to ask for a discount for it not being colourless how much should I be looking for? It’s a 3ct cushion

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I did go back straight away and say it looks a little grey this was his reply I am thinking h to let him Make the ring and see. Arghhhh need advice

Mam.... I understand your felling...

But let me clear you ... please give permission to make your ring.... and then i send you video and photos.... still you feel that it is not as you want then i dont ship it...

Becasue I dont have clear vision camera and i am not abel to take it photo as you send me otherwise it is really colorless piece. that why i send you video in sunlight and prove that while you where it is not show like lower clolr

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the photos I would have to say that the stone is not colorless and (at best) it is probably near colorless instead. The lighting is not very good for the photos and neither of the pics show the stone upside down like was mentioned by @AprilBaby @MakingTheGrade and @telephone89.

Also as previously mentioned, India doesn't have really true colorless moissainte stones. You would be better off with a Chinese vendor for that depending on the cut. What is his refund policy? You may be able to get a brighter whiter stone from a Chinese vendor for the same or even less money. Just a thought.;)2

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the white paper it looks less yellow. What is his refund policy if you don’t like it?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you truly want a colourless stone I wouldn't go through with it. Even with a good return policy you still are likely out the $ to ship it back, which sounds like a nightmare.

Keep in mind, you don't owe this person anything. This is a vendor selling a product. The product is not what it says it is. You don't need to feel bad for turning it down if its not what you truly want.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Taurus2313 @AprilBaby and @telephone89.

I am not sure what his refund policy is. I will ask him.

I have paid a$70 deposit so I think that I would rather lose that than go through with it and be unhappy.

He has said he will make it up for me and if I don’t like it I don’t have to purchase it so hopefully he will refund the deposit.

Perhaps I should get a quote from a Chinese vendor recommended on here.

This ring was $370USD for a 3ct cushion supposedly colourless in silver.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Taurus2313 @AprilBaby and @telephone89.

I am not sure what his refund policy is. I will ask him.

I have paid a$70 deposit so I think that I would rather lose that than go through with it and be unhappy.

He has said he will make it up for me and if I don’t like it I don’t have to purchase it so hopefully he will refund the deposit.

Perhaps I should get a quote from a Chinese vendor recommended on here.

This ring was $370USD for a 3ct cushion supposedly colourless in silver.
Silver as in the ring material? Let me pull up my old quote from tianyu. I was orignially looking at a 1.5 ct (so that will change) in silver and it was much less.
eta - I had 2 quotes, the cheaper one was older and they seemed to have raised their prices inbetween:
$135 usd + shipping ($35 usd)
$180 usd + shipping ($35 usd)
That was in 925 silver solitaire.

the stone id requested was an OEC near colourless I believe.

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @telephone89 I chose silver as if I didn’t like it it was much less than gold.

I wouldn’t mind if there was a hint of colour if I wasn’t paying for colourless. He advertises colourless in his Etsy store but I am unsure if they are.

If the Chinese quote was similar I would probably go with that. Are people generally happier with Tianyu than Stargem? I will read the threads before getting a quote

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pennyc i posted the prices above. I had a so-so experience with tianyu. They sent my ring in the wrong size, and to re-size it up here it was going to cost ~$50-$60 usd, which they didn't want to pay for. I ended up snail mailing it back (no tracking!) for them to resize. I haven't received it back yet, but it did get there, thankfully with no issues. Since it was so cheap, I can see why they didn't want to spend that money. But it's been a hassle! That said, the actual ring was gorgeous, the stone was great. I wanted it as a travel ring, but the trip I was buying for came and went and still no ring lol.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@telephone89 thank you for those prices

It seems that the price I have is too high for a non colourless stone. Even given my ring has a stone that is twice the size of the one you were quoted.

As I mentioned I wouldn’t mind some hint of colour if the price was that of a near colourless but seems I am paying for colourless and not getting it.

Will wait for the finished ring and also get a quote from Tianyu

What would I do without the lovely ladies on here:D

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring being made by Star Gems. The stone is 11x6 Elongated OMC (GH color) in 14k white gold 2.2mm wide, with 18 2mm moissanite stones in the band. I had my stone custom cut and all together with the custom cut fee, my ring is $450 plus 20 something I believe for shipping but it's still under $500.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @chunkyfacetlover mine was $370USD as mentioned but only silver you can throw on an extra $100 for Gold. So yours sounds like a better deal

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @chunkyfacetlover mine was $370USD as mentioned but only silver you can throw on an extra $100 for Gold. So yours sounds like a better deal
I just ordered a 8mm OEC from Sahil of Carob Jewelry on Ebay/Etsy. I love my OECs extra warm (JK). I paid $63. All other cuts I like GH, not too stark white. A hint of body color isn't a bad thing in a cushion cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results